Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Sudden drastic drop in volume

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi there, about 8 months ago, tried and fell in love with the CP4 sounds. I knew something newer was on the way (CP88 was later announced), but deal was good, sounds were better, etc. I love this piano. After 8 months of flawless performance, yesterday at rehearsal (thank god wasn't gig), the overall volume (well, how loud the thing sounds) cuts by about 80 per cent (guess). We're in the middle of a song, and my piano disappears. I ask sound guy if he cut it, nope, didn't touch it, thought I did. Essentially, when I choose a performance, it's "full volume" for about a second or two and then suddenly almost disappears. We tried L/R 1/4 outs, XLR outs, I tried headphones....all have same issue. I basically turn this thing on and play, nothing fancy. This happened about 30 minutes into a set where we'd played many tunes, all on same performance, not changing anything.

When I got home, I factory reset, same thing happens. Right from the get go upon reset, start playing, volume is fine...for about 3 seconds, then drops to nothing.

I've already contacted the guy who sold it to me, who is going to contact Yamaha, but I was just curious if this was some kind of known issue?? Also, I'm a gigging musician, with 8 gigs in the next 5 weeks, so I'm hoping Yamaha has some kind of support and can either replace, or give me a loaner?? I can't believe I'm the only amateur out there that did NOT buy 2 stage pianos to have a backup???

Posted : 06/06/2019 12:11 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, you are having an issue with your CP4 Stage. There is no known issue that matches your description, that I am aware of... And I wouldn’t want to speculate on what’s wrong or the cause. That can be determined by an authorized service center.Your first step is to contact the authorized Yamaha dealer who sold it to you, they will be able to assist you in getting proper service on the instrument, including any kind of loaner situation.

Posted : 06/06/2019 2:52 pm
Topic starter

Yeah, dealer just informed me we need to get the CP4 to a certified repair center or something like that...which is 2 hours from here. To get it there, it's the small dealer's dime (or mine) as Yamaha doesn't cover that. Also, this dealer is mostly acoustic pianos and some clavinova stuff and a few keyboards - nothing I can get as a replacement. The CP4 was a custom order for me. I'm really annoyed at the moment that Yamaha doesn't back it's smaller dealers better (and ultimately their customers)...or at the very least, warn potential customers that maybe gigging musicians shouldn't buy the product if actually having replacements is important. Having Yamaha on the equipment doesn't mean anything if the dealer is too small to help (dealer wasn't too small for the Yamaha rep to come in and convince him to be a dealer for Yamaha though...)

Rant over. I need to start looking for some gear for upcoming gigs.

Posted : 06/06/2019 3:55 pm
Bad Mister

A dealer who carries Acoustic Pianos and Clavinovas is hardly a smaller dealer. If it was not a product that they normally carry and they special ordered it for you, that would explain why they might not have a suitable option as a loaner (not that they are a smaller). I don’t know the details of your purchase (obviously) but if you purchased the CP4 Stage, new, 8 months ago you’re still under warranty (3 years in the USA). While any initial shipping to an authorized service center is your responsibility, if the repair is deemed under warranty, Yamaha will cover the return shipping.

Please see the following Warranty information for the CP: Warranty in USA

This is for the USA- if you are located elsewhere please check the Warranty information for your area of the world.
If you are in the USA and would like assistance with this let us know.

Again, sorry you are having this issue.

Posted : 06/06/2019 6:05 pm
Topic starter

Ok Mister, I've had a few hours to breathe and calm down lol. This is small town Canada. My dealer (amazing guy) is small. His current inventory is one accoustic piano, one clavinova, one P125, and a few casio looking things....the rest is a bunch of guitars and regular small items - ie small lol.

I guess for a company the size of Yamaha, I was crossing my fingers that their authorized stores (and hence their clients), would be better supported. I'm glad the waranty is there and it will be fixed. But this small town dealer cannot get me a loaner. His Yamaha rep said he'd be more than happy to get him a CP4, and sell it to him, within 48 hours. So he'd have to buy one for his inventory (not sure how long it would take to sell), plus, he'd loan it to me, and wouldn't be able to sell it as new! I believe Yamaha's sales and inventory are a little more solid that this small business guy. And I guess I was hoping the sales rep's CP4 that he could get quickly, why couldn't THAT have been a loaner....oh well

It is what it is. Sorry to clog up this great forum with these rants it's just that I've got gigs coming up over the next weeks that I don't have hardware to perform right now.

PS: Before I experienced this glitch/problem, I was singing the praises of this stage piano to any who would listen (and a few who wouldn't lol)

Posted : 07/06/2019 12:48 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us