Clear all

Trying to better understand Quick Reset

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
m
 m
Topic starter

I'm learning to edit Performances, and need to better understand the effect of Quick Reset ...

Blake's YouTube tutorial comments that: "Quick Reset is a way to immediately bring the CP4 back to Performance 1, CFX Grand, which is exactly the state it is in when you first power on." But I'm finding that Quick Reset seems to change some settings from Performance 1, and I'm not sure why or which ones.

Here's an example (this is immediately following a Factory Reset):

Step 1. Turn on CP4. My understanding is that CP4 is now, by default, in Performance 1. Correct?

Step 2. Do a Quick Reset. I would have thought from Blake's comment that this would have no effect on anything, because QR just brings CP4 back to Performance 1, and that's where it already was.

But I can tell from the sound that the Reverb setting has in fact been changed, even though I haven't changed any values or done any editing yet at all. To check this, I start over, and after Step 1 I go into the Edit menu > Part > Play Mode, and I can see that RevSend is at 24. Then, without changing anything, I exit back out, then do a Quick Reset. Again I go into the Edit menu > Part > Play Mode, and I can see that RevSend is now at 10.

Why has RevSend changed from 24 to 10, and what other settings are also changing when I do a Quick Reset?

Many thanks! Love the sound of this board.

Posted : 23/09/2015 3:30 pm
Bad Mister

The QUICK RESET does not necessarily return you to PERFORMANCE #1 settings, exactly. More it simply places one VOICE (the very first VOICE in the instrument, which happens to be the CFX piano) in a PERFORMANCE with the default settings - the default for a new Performance for reverb would be "10"... The "24" you find in the Factory Set Performance #1 is what was programmed as a part of the CFX PERFORMANCE by whomever programmed the Factory Set of PERFORMANCE examples. They are all just "examples"... they are all in USER memory locations and are to there to be customized by you. When you use "Quick Reset"... you have not changed the original Factory Set... it is still there, unchanged, in memory... your Quick Reset "Performance" exists in an EDIT BUFFER - when you go to STORE that data you can store it in any of the 128 PERFORMANCE locations _ say you store it in location #2... well, the CFX PERFORMANCE that was programmed as part of the Factory Set in slot #1 is still there, unchanged from the way it came from the factory! If you store you data to overwrite #1, then the new data will replace PERFORMANCE #1.

It is just that the CFX piano VOICE happens to be VOICE #1, not that Quick Reset returns you to settings of PERFORMANCE #1. It is a Stage Piano, and naturally the very first PERFORMANCE is a piano, and it happens to use the very first piano in the instrument. Taking a leap of faith, Yamaha decided that your MAIN Voice is probably going to be a piano... the CFX is the first time this piano has been used in a Yamaha keyboard that can be picked up by a single human under one arm!

It is pretty standard that the default for REVERB is usually 10 or 12 in most any Yamaha Music Production product (Motif-series, MOXF-series, MX-series, S-series) all default to 10 or 12... this is so that it is fairly obvious it is there without drowning the Voice in reverb... So the Factory Set has PERFORMANCE #1's piano with a Reverb setting of 24. The default QUICK RESET has a setting of 10.

Posted : 23/09/2015 10:30 pm
m
 m
Topic starter

Thanks! That helps. So is this an accurate summary ...

1. When CP4 is powered up, it defaults to Performance 1 in whatever form is then stored in user memory (i.e., as it may have been changed and stored by the user).

2. When a Quick Reset is done at any time, CP4 defaults to a performance that is similar to but is not exactly the same as the Factory version of Performance 1 (e.g., the Quick Reset default performance and the Factory version Performance 1 have the same M/L/S voices, but at least one difference between them is their reverb-send settings; maybe there are also other differences).

Posted : 24/09/2015 12:23 am
m
 m
Topic starter

2. When a Quick Reset is done at any time, CP4 defaults to a performance that is similar to but is not exactly the same as the Factory version of Performance 1 (e.g., the Quick Reset default performance and the Factory version Performance 1 have the same M/L/S voices, but at least one difference between them is their reverb-send settings; maybe there are also other differences).

I realized that my #2 above isn't accurate. More like this ...

2. When a Quick Reset is done at any time, CP4 places in the edit buffer a set of performance parameters that is similar to but is not exactly the same as the parameters of the Factory version of Performance 1 (e.g., same M/L/S voices, but at least one difference is the reverb-send setting; maybe there are also other differences).

Posted : 25/09/2015 10:37 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us