Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Unable to update CP 4 keyboard

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I am unable to update my CP 4 keyboard from ver. 1.00 to 1.01. This is what I have done so far. ( 1 ) formatted a 16 GB flash drive on the CP 4 unit ( 2 ) Downloaded the update file from the yamaha website and unzipped it to obtained file CP4_40setup.PRG ( 3 ) Checked that apart from file no other information was on the flash drive ( 4 ) Remove power from the keyboard and inserted the flash drive ( 5 ) Depressed the play button and turned the power on the keyboard. The system indicates the following " Connecting usb device " " Not working " and returns to the default start setting on the keyboard. The keyboard has no problems except that it does not update. I have read the post on this forum about some flash drives not being compatible, I have tried a few, and have ordered one on Ebay. Is there anything else that can done to correct the problem. Thanks for any assistance.

Posted : 22/09/2015 2:00 pm
Bad Mister

The whole issue is finding a drive that your CP4 Stage can use. Make sure it does not feature COPY PROTECTION software built in on the drive, if it does, simply formatting it does not remove this software. Contact the manufacturer of the drive for the copy protection removal tool. Copy Protection software is music prevention - since you are not keeping the Impossible Mission Force secret agent list on the USB stick, a simple unencrypted drive is all that is necessary. What drive(s) have you tried?
Does it feature the mentioned Copy Protection feature?

Before attempting to update your instrument try saving a file from your CP4 Stage to that drive, if it can Save (write) to the drive it will be able to read from that drive. If you already have a drive you have been using to save and load your setup's, use it.

Drives normally come ready to use, so formatting is not really necessary.
Also the .PGM file must be in the root directory (not in a folder).
Let us know.

Posted : 22/09/2015 10:14 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for responding so quickly. I did as you advised, I created a performance named it " SAM GRAND " saved in the keyboard and also to a flash drive. I then did a factory set, this removed the performance I created in the keyboard. I then reloaded the performance in the keyboard from the flash drive. I was able to save and load information to the keyboard using the usb port on the unit. I still cannot do the update function. I examined the flash drive information on my PC, this is what I saw. The name of the file was now " SAMGRAND. C7A " On page 40 of the owner's manual it says that " the load function can only be used with all-type files ( which have a C7A ( CP 4 STAGE ) file extension. I have no idea what that last part means. Grateful for your continued assistance

Posted : 23/09/2015 2:00 am
Topic starter

It does appear from the above observation that the CP4 keyboard mentioned functions properly because it allows the flow of data in and out of the system. The problem is that any files loaded into the system must have a file extension of .C7A, but the unzipped file downloaded from the Yamaha website to implement the update
" CP4_40setup.PRG " has a file extension .PRG which the keyboard does not recognize. If this is indeed the problem, and the CP4 and its update has been out there for sometime now. this problem has to have been encountered before by CP4 owners if and when they attempted to update the system. I am hopeful that a workaround is available to resolve this problem.

Posted : 23/09/2015 1:39 pm
 Pino

Clinton wrote:

It does appear from the above observation that the CP4 keyboard mentioned functions properly because it allows the flow of data in and out of the system.

I agree: you've checked that the keyboard reads from and writes to you USB device.

Clinton wrote:

The problem is that any files loaded into the system must have a file extension of .C7A, but the unzipped file downloaded from the Yamaha website to implement the update " CP4_40setup.PRG " has a file extension .PRG which the keyboard does not recognize.

No, this is not correct.
I've personally upgraded my CP4 using the file available from the Yamaha site. This file has the .PRG extension, so that's not the problem.

Are you sure your piano is ver 1.00?
Have you tried to redo the "unzip" process? Maybe the .PRG is corrupted.

Pino, Italy

Posted : 23/09/2015 2:26 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for your input, I am going to check if the unzipping process corrupted the .PRG file. I do not doubt that you successfully updated the CP4 keyboard using a .PRG file. I have downloaded and unzipped the update file on two separate computers, windows 7 and windows 10 and used several new flash drives to no avail What I have noticed is that when I wrote to and saved information on the keyboard the saved file had a . C7A extension and in the owner's manual page 40 it states
" The load function can only be used with all-type files which have a .C7A file extension ( CP4 ) Maybe there is a bug in my system, or I am certainly missing something, I am truly grateful for your assistance

Posted : 23/09/2015 3:44 pm
Topic starter

To the contributors of this forum. It appears that there was not a problem in using the updater software for the CP 4 keyboard, In initiating the install I was pressing the wrong start button on the right of the instrument ( start/ select ) when the correct start button is located on the left of the instrument in the audio play/rec group. I was able to complete the updater process quite easily. I made a mistake, thanks for your patience and assistance.

Posted : 23/09/2015 5:02 pm
Bad Mister

No, worries. Glad you got it working - Enjoy!

Posted : 23/09/2015 10:10 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us