Notifications
Clear all

Voice Edit

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

HI & thanks for your time!
I can't store voice settings ... not performance, but settings, or edits to a voice. For example.. Any of the Rhodes or Wurly Tremelo voices. I can change the depth & speed of the tremelo, but when I hit store, it takes it to a Performance location. I just want to save my edits to the parameters of the single voice.. Thanks!
Vince

Posted : 19/01/2018 3:39 am
Bad Mister

That's not how the CP4 Stage works. The Owner's Manual is actually very good at taking you through these basic operations.
In short, changes you make to the Preset Voices are stored in an entity called the Performance. As you play through the Factory Performances you are going through different programs that are edited versions of the Preset Voices. Many are variations of the main CFX PIANO. When you edit a Voice and then press [STORE] (see page 30) you are going to store your edits to the Voice in an entity called a Performance. That's how it works.

Posted : 19/01/2018 8:52 am
Topic starter

Ok...Thanks very much! No wonder I couldn't do it! πŸ™‚ I've created many Performances & appreciate how that works, especially with multiple layers, but just wanted a simpler straight click of my favorite Rhodes or Wurly sound to have a faster tremolo...
Much obliged!

Posted : 19/01/2018 1:58 pm
Bad Mister

The β€œTremolo” on a real Wurlitzer EP did not have the ability to have a faster setting - just FYI - those not old enough to remember assume it was adjustable, well, it wasn’t! One speed for all occasions.

On your CP4 Stage a change to a Factory Preset must be stored in a Performance. The CP4 Stage combines Spectral Component Modeling and AWM2 sample playback technologies. When you edit one of the Voices including the Modeled preamps, and Effects, those changes are stored as offsets in the Performance. Hope that helps understand the instrument.

Posted : 22/01/2018 10:06 am

Vince, I have read the manual, watched many videos, and been through this forum and I still have trouble with this concept of voices and performances and how they work. I suppose the best way I have found to think of it is this. The "voices" are not something you can really change. They sit there, neatly under the buttons that label them as such. That is useful for someone not familiar with the board if they want to just reach out and grab a sound and go. But if you own the board and you want to edit anything, it all has to be saved as a performance. Even if you just edit some EQ on a piano sound, it has to be saved as a performance. At that point, the labels on the panel have nothing to do with it. You save it where ever you want it. And in order to get back to that sound you have to go into performance mode, which is a two button move. Shift/Performance. For any edits you do to tremolo on a Wurli, save it to a performance and it'll be there. But it's 3 clicks away! Before a gig, I just go ahead and put it in performance mode. Then it's only one click away. I also put a little square of black tape over the blinking light that is always present when in performance mode. I found it quite annoying to have a flashing lights for entire concerts. Problem solved.

Posted : 09/02/2018 2:11 pm
m
 m

Scott wrote: ... And in order to get back to that sound you have to go into performance mode, which is a two button move. Shift/Performance.

I think it's confusing to refer to "performance mode" on a CP4, as if there were some other mode available. In fact, performance mode is all there is; there is no "voice mode", as there is on some other boards. As soon as you turn the power on you're in "performance mode", so to speak ... you are within a Performance (#001 by default, unless you've changed your power-on default Performance #). Any changes you make, including selecting other Voices, are edits to that Performance (indicated by the little "E" in the display), which you may or may not save. On the CP4, it's impossible to NOT be in a Performance.

When you push the red Performance button, the only thing you're changing is the display and what's controlled by the wheel. Solid red light, the display shows the Voices, and the wheel will change Voices. Blinking red light, the display shows the Performance, and the wheel changes Performances. But either way, from the moment you power up, you're in a Performance. (Part of the problem is the CP4's primitive display. A good display would show the Performance at all times, which would make things much less confusing.)

If you press the Shift button AND the red Performance button, you get one additional feature ... the Voice select panel buttons turn into Performance select buttons, so-called "Performance Direct Select" mode. Of course, having done that, the panel labels no longer apply. You need to create your own labels or remember where things are. Often easier to just use the wheel. If you're going to use the wheel to change between Performances, no need to press the Shift button.

Posted : 09/02/2018 7:15 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us