Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

What's the deal with the filled O's in the LCD display?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Jim
Topic starter

Why are the centers for upper case and lower case O's filled in the LCD display (on a CP4, among others)? For lower case o's, there's not a resolution or readability problem, because the e's look perfectly normal.

For upper case O's, it could be misread as a zero, except the display renders zeroes with a slash through them. So what appears to be an O is clearly an O.

I would love to hear an explanation if anyone has one.

Thanks – and apologies for such a trite question,
Jim

Attached files

Posted : 19/02/2017 10:10 pm
m
 m

That's strange. On my CP4 display, the O's and o's aren't filled in. They look perfectly normal.

Posted : 20/02/2017 12:22 am
 Jim
Topic starter

Good to know, thank you. I was going by the manual and a vague recollection from demoing earlier Yamaha stage pianos. Certainly the manuals have this odd trait, but it sounds like the actual board uses a typical character matrix.

I guess I've got some pre-purchase jitters. I've decided on the CP4 on at least the promise of its SCM voices, but am still weighing the many trade-offs in the decision, a small 40x2 text display being one of them.

Posted : 20/02/2017 12:36 am
m
 m

Jim wrote: I was going by the manual and a vague recollection from demoing earlier Yamaha stage pianos. Certainly the manuals have this odd trait, ....

Hmmm. The O's and o's are normal in my manuals (PDF), same as my CP4 display.

Jim wrote:I guess I've got some pre-purchase jitters. I've decided on the CP4 on at least the promise of its SCM voices, but am still weighing the many trade-offs in the decision, a small 40x2 text display being one of them.

Yeah, the two-line display is a little annoying ... lots of menu-diving can be involved when customizing Performances. I wish Yamaha made an app interface for the CP4, but they don't. Still, I'm happy with the CP4.

Posted : 20/02/2017 12:46 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us