Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

When to use a DI box?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm wondering when or if I should be using a DI box. Here's my setup: CP4 and Hammond SK1, with left and right channels of both keyboards connecting to a Yamaha MG10 mixer via 1/4" cables; The mixer then goes to the house snake via left and right XLRs (so I'm using 2 channels on the house snake). I'm also using a powered monitor as a stage monitor from the monitor jacks on the MG10.

Someone told me I should be using a DI box. I'm not sure where and I'm not sure why.

Is that advice correct? Does the MG10 act as a DI box?

Thanks.

Posted : 13/11/2018 6:26 pm
Bad Mister

The MG is acting as your DI box. It’s like a deluxe DI box, a DI with options!

DI, is short for “Direct Input”. A mixer, like the MG10, is a ‘DI box’ with EQ, pads, aux sends, volume control, Pan, etc., etc. plus those beautiful extra Monitor outs so you can be in charge of you monitoring yourself (priceless).

Most dedicated DI boxes offer a minimum of features beyond the basic primary feature which is to take unbalanced signal IN and send balanced signal OUT.

The CP4 Stage offers you both (unbalanced 1/4” and balanced XLR). Unbalanced cables are fine for short cable runs. You want to use balanced cables for long cable runs (those that exceed 20ft).
If you run unbalanced from the CP Stage to the mixer, you want this to be the short cable run. The run from the mixer to the house should be balanced.

The longer an unbalanced cable the better antenna it is.
Balanced cables prevent radio interference, which is why they are recommended for long cable runs.

Your mixer is acting as a deluxe DI box!

Posted : 13/11/2018 8:26 pm
Topic starter

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure and I had doubts when someone suggested that I should always use a DI box. Thanks.

Posted : 14/11/2018 8:35 pm
Jeff
 Jeff

A DI box usually has two other important functions: ground isolation and pad (attenuation.)

In your case, you generally won't need a DI box between your CP4 and your mixer, but in some venues you might need one between the mixer and the snake to avoid ground loop hum. In some venues you may also need the pad feature (again, between your mixer and the house snake.)

My typical setup was a CP4 and other keyboards connected to a Yamaha EMX5000 powered mixer driving my stage monitors and feeding the house snake. I sometimes needed to use a DI box between the mixer and the snake. I used either an ART DTI (which does not have a pad) or Radial ProD2 (which has 1/4" inputs rather than XLR.) I got in the habit of always using one, just to avoid a possible issue.

Posted : 07/11/2019 10:23 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us