Notifications
Clear all

Balanced, unbalanced cables, A/D input and Focusrite

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Sean
Topic starter

This situation has me a tad baffled. I know that you cannot use a condenser microphone with the Motif XS unless you have a phantom power supply. The only microphone I have is a Blue enCORE 200. It is an active dynamic microphone that requires phantom power. I plug the enCORE 200 into my Scarlett 2i2 then I use long monster cables to connect the line outputs of the Scarlett 2i2 into the left A/D input. When I set up integrated sampling I hear some dreadful noise. Before I start to record the noise sounds like a vacuum cleaner. While I record the vocals the noise then sounds like a strong wind current. I thought of several things that could be the genesis of the problem, but I am not so sure. The outputs of the Scarlett 2i2 are balanced (I believe) and I think the Motif XS A/D inputs are unbalanced. Maybe I need different cables to reduce the noise. I also read that this noise is a common issue with the Scarlett 2i2, but it should not be this bad. I also am aware that my room is not the best recording studio so I thought about abandoning the Blue enCORE 200 since it is very condenser like and purchasing a dynamic microphone which is recommended. Before I spend any money can someone give me a second opinion?

Posted : 09/07/2015 5:16 am
Bad Mister

Hi Sean! Welcome to Yamaha Synth.

The products you are asking about are not Yamaha, I cannot give you definitive/official answers on the best way to operate this gear, but I am a long time audio engineer and can point you in the right general direction.

The Scarlet 2i2 is a USB audio interface for a computer. You don't mention a computer at all in your setup. So this begs the question how are you making settings for this device. In typical use of a 2-in/2-out audio interface, the device acting as the audio interface is responsible for getting audio both into and back out of the computer. In the case of the Scarlet this is via USB. Any device (in this case your mic) is plugged into the audio interface. The interface generates two signal paths: one to the computer via the USB connection (there probably is a specific *driver* you must use for your computer type) the *driver* function is to "teach" the computer how and what to do with this incoming audio signal. It will allow to set sample rate, etc.

This audio signal in the computer can be routed to an audio track in your DAW software... Where typical you can record this signal. The audio interface will also output this same signal to its analog audio outputs for monitoring purposes (so you can hear the signal). So there are now two pathways for signal from your microphone to travel.

1) Microphone > audio interface > > computer DAW > > audio interface > audio playback system (speakers)
2) Microphone > audio interface > audio playback system

> signal cable
>> USB cable
Being a professional audio interface, there should be a way to select which signal path you are listening to (monitoring)... which signal path connects to your audio system.

Obviously signal path #1 above is the "latent" signal. It travel to the computer and back before going to speakers - it will take several milliseconds longer to travel this path from mic to speakers. This is why you have a professional audio interface... There will be a way to select "Direct Monitor" -this is either handled by the driver or by a setting on the audio interface front panel... When you select "Direct Monitor" this selects signal path #2 described above. Even though you are recording signal path #1 to the computer, selecting Direct Monitor sends the shorter path directly to the audio system - this way you can hear yourself immediately, speed of light, zero latency (all of these are considered "direct"). By selecting "Direct Monitor" this will defeat signal path #1 described above from returning its signal to the audio playback system (speakers) during the record process.

I've never used the exact gear in question, but what I've told you is typical of all audio interfaces. But what I cannot tell is how to select Direct Monitoring (but certainly there is a way - usually a front panel switch) and I cannot tell *if* the Scarlet 2i2 audio interface can be used without a computer.

For that information, I highly recommend you contact the makers of the Scarlet 2i2... Focusrite. Specifically you want to find out: Is it capable of acting as a phantom power source for a mic without the connection to a computer. Most devices of this type are designed exclusively to be used with a computer, but because I don't work for and would not presume to answer for Focusrite - that is the question you want to ask them.

It may not be able to do so but the above should give you enough information to get a clear answer. Typically, if you go to an audio interface company and ask about connecting to a Motif XS they will just scratch their heads and send off to ask Yamaha. But what you want to know from them is: Can the Scarlet 2i2 act as a phantom power for your mic without the USB connection to the computer?

Final points: remember to turn your monitor speakers OFF if your microphone is in proximity to the microphone, (use headphones). A live mic in the same room with speakers is a FEEDBACK zone. Isolate your microphone from your monitor speakers. Common mistake in home studios is forgetting the mic "hears" everything you can hear, and does not have a brain that selectively filters out and focuses attention. If your speakers can be heard - your microphone can "hear" them too. 🙂
Forgive if you already know this, if you already do, then you know why I would be remiss if I did not mention it. Feedback can sound like many things before it actual reaches critical levels (and you did mention a strange sound).

I also read that this noise is a common issue with the Scarlett 2i2

I bet it is *not* a common thing to have noise with this audio interface. While you have them on the phone ask them to address this... Reading some where that this is common, is not definitive (everything you read should be taken with some skepticism, er, even my seemingly helpful instructions...) But I bet they can address that definitively for you. We used to have a saying, back in the day... "There are no noisy pieces of gear, there are only noisy engineers" there is always Noise in any audio system, it is the engineers job to get the best signal before noise. Like air in a water pipe... Maximize water, minimize air. Maximize signal, minimize noise.

That should provide you with what you need to know ... Hope it helps. Let us know.

Post script... The audio interface is balanced out, the XS inputs are unbalanced, that should not be a major issue, the Ring in the TRS will just not be used at the XS end. Always use the shortest cabling possible, it just eliminates potential issues. The XS will accept balanced or unbalanced signal... Technically it is unbalanced.

Of course, if you are using your computer _ please let us know.

Posted : 09/07/2015 10:58 am
 Sean
Topic starter

Thank you for your reply. I called Focusrite and unfortunately the 2i2 is not meant to be used as a stand alone. I had this interface for a while because I was learning how to use DAWs and I wanted to experiment with the Motif XS because I was recording vocals with Integrated Sampling for a couple of years without phantom power supplied to my Blue enCORE 200. Phantom power gives life to the enCORE 200, but maybe a dynamic microphone will be better. I originally wanted to use just the Motif XS to make music and over time I got ambitious with my hobby and started to buy all kinds of equipment without doing a little research. That could be the Veblen Effect at work! With that aside, I will try shorter cables. If I still have this issue I might consider diving into DAWs or research before I buy! I will let you know the outcome in time. Thanks again!

Posted : 09/07/2015 5:49 pm
Bad Mister

No problem... I kind of knew this but I could not in good conscience say definitively that it was not meant to work standalone (I don't work for them and it could be a feature they added). The microphone you are using (which is new to me) a dynamic microphone that can be active _ cool! Does it work as a regular Dynamic as well, without Phantom? (you say it "gives life", but does it function without phantom power?)

A regular dynamic mic is easy (works on permanent magnets so it always has its power source).
Alternatives include: a small mixer... the Yamaha MG range, for example, start at just under $100 and all have +48 power, XLR and 1/4" outputs, and is built like battleship... perfect utility for a wide variety of audio problems.

There are MG standard and MGs that also act as 2-in/2-out audio interfaces. All have +48V Phantom, all built like battleships. Those with an "X" in the name have Effects. Those with "XU" are both USB audio interfaces + Effects...

Yamaha Analog Mixers: MG

Posted : 09/07/2015 6:43 pm
 Sean
Topic starter

Yes, the enCORE 200 is a very interesting mic. It works without phantom power just fine. When I say that the phantom power "gives life" it makes the mic act like a condenser. The sound is absolutely incredible! I have recorded some acoustic guitars and harmonicas and these instruments sound clear as day. I just wanted to take advantage of the active circuit inside the mic.

Just to let you know, I neglected to mention that I had the 2i2 hooked up to the Motif XS via USB. I also forgot to mention that my voice is clear when I record. I just cannot get rid of that annoying vacuum cleaner and rushing wind sound in my recordings. This interface might be too powerful or is not compatible. I do not know if using shorter cables will help, but it is worth a try. I used an M-Audio Fast Track Pro I borrowed, hooked it up to the Motif XS via USB, turned on the phantom power and everything was fine except that these interfaces are not "built like a battleship." I may look into the other products you mentioned. These seem like the machines I need.

Posted : 09/07/2015 9:58 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us