Notifications
Clear all

John Melas and Yamaha MOX8 hangs upon clicking on receive/transmit

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,
Maybe somebody has experienced this as well and found a solution.

It was working fine until recently. I could transfer and receive data from and to my mox8 from the complete John Melas total library.
But then recently, whenever I click on transmit or receive ot hangs. I can connect to the MOX and it shows connected, but nothing happens anymore after clicking. I have to kill the app.

Then I updated the firmware on MOX to 1.02, reinstalled the Yamaha Synth USB driver but nothing changes. It still hangs.

Is there a log or something I can check? Is there a switch in MOX which prevents data transmitting, which I had accidental clicked (although after firmware update, it should be reset).
There is no out put in the screen of MOX or in the total library software which seems not responsive anymore.

Thanks,
Jonas

Posted : 23/03/2018 9:49 am
Bad Mister

When something worked previously but then stops working, it is recommended that you review your checklist of things that make it all work. You mention you have firmware 1.02, but don’t give us any version info on the driver you installed. And saying the “latest” is also a non-response, since it can happen that “the latest” is not always correct in all situations.

The driver, by the way, is “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver”. (Yamaha makes many different keyboards and there are different USB drivers so it’s an important detail to put on the list). You don’t even mention what type of computer, but ensure you get the version designated as working with your computer type and your current operating system.

On the MOX, [UTILITY] > [F6] MIDI > [SF4] OTHER set MIDI I/O to USB
Then navigate to the Driver’s Control Panel. With the MOX connected directly to the computer via a usb cable (no hubs):
If on Windows, go to START > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > find the red “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver” icon; double click on it to open the Control Panel.
If on a Mac, go to “System Preferences” > “Others” > find the red “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver” icon; double click on it to open the Control Panel

Ideally, a Control Panel with three tabs will open and report on your driver and your MOX status.
Let us know what yours reports, and we can proceed from there.

Posted : 23/03/2018 12:13 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for your answer.

Sorry, ok here are the details:

Windows 8.1, Asus laptop N56VZ

The Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver shows Version: V1.10.0 (I updated this one only after it stopped working, I am sorry I do not remember what it was before, but installed about a year ago).

The Midi in the MOX8 is showing that is via USB.

I update the firmware of the MOX from 1.00 to 1.02 ( but only after it stopped working)

Between the last time the software was working and when the software stopped working, I believe I only installed patches offered by Microsoft.

I attached a screenshot which shows that the mox is connected and what the midi setup looks like.

Thank you.

Attached files

Posted : 23/03/2018 6:34 pm
Bad Mister

Okay, so again, what’s not working?

Posted : 23/03/2018 7:23 pm
Topic starter

It starts hanging when clicking on the Receive or Transmit button (also in the menu). My mox8 seems to connect properly, without an error message, when I click on autoconnect. The midi setup looks fine as well (see above screenshot).

But when I click on the receive/transmit icons, the windows frame greys out, and I can not move the inner frame or click on any buttons, mennu or even try to close it (as it greys out this is expected). I can only kill it via task manager. Interestingly, the print screen in windows is not working anymore either, so I can not show a screenshot. The transmitting window with the progress bar does not appear.

On the MOX screen I do not see anything happening.

The only thing I changed between working and non working, I believe, is the windows 8.1 patches, which come every once in a while....

Otherwise worth mentioning: Cubase 8.5 and the Mox VST editor work as expected.

Posted : 23/03/2018 9:49 pm
Bad Mister

Every thing is fine on your MOX side of things. Driver is found, product is identified and as you say it is working in Cubase and the VST Editor works...

You should contact John Melas directly, You can email him at: info@jmelas.gr

Posted : 23/03/2018 10:05 pm
Peter

Don't use autoconect

Posted : 24/03/2018 2:38 pm
Topic starter

Ok I got it working again. And I also contacted John Melas. After he asked me if I had any other Program open, I responded with my solution.

---
I observed 2 day ago that when I click CTRL-ALT RETURN (or DELETE or BACK), I get sometimes the message: MOX not connected. But it was (and Cubase was able to access it).

Then I did the following (not necessarily because of the step above):
1) I closed the my own created library and opened a new one. I saved it and closed the program again.
2) Then, I started the library software again which opened this new empty library. I clicked on the receive button.
3) It did not work immediately, but I clicked again (CTRL-ALT RETURN (or DELETE or BACK) and then it started working.

since then it is working ...

But to your question: initially I might have had Cubase, connected to MOX open. But later on not.

---

Posted : 29/03/2018 10:28 am
Bad Mister

I’m sorry I don’t understand what you’re talking about... is it working now?

Posted : 29/03/2018 11:23 am
Topic starter

Yes, it is working again.
The text between the '---' is my answer to John.

Posted : 30/03/2018 10:43 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us