Synth Forum

Motif ES - Arpeggio...

Notifications
Clear all

Motif ES - Arpeggios - Chord Recognition - One Arp / One Voice Limit?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I recorded phrases in Pattern tracks 1-4 then then Put it to ARP thru JOB Function. I couldn't find any dedicated user arp edit functions. However, It looks like I can simply go back to my pattern, change my notes and Arp type and re-Put it to the same user ARP, ##, correct?

When I use only a single root note trigger for a bass line recorded as original notes, would chord recognition be limited to major scale / chords of the single note trigger? If I instead played triad or any other full chord as a trigger, would the bass line (chord recognition) be more precise to match closer to the chord vs single note trigger? Finally, I tried creating a single arp with two voices, I combined a bass line with rhythmic piano chord and put both tracks to arp. As a result, I was able to get my user arp to play all the notes together (both bass and piano) but it played back all notes together as single piano voice. Does this mean that with the ES, am I limited to using one voice in a user arp?

Posted : 01/07/2019 2:26 pm
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Phil, Hope to hear your words of wisdom on these arpeggio questions.
Thanks for all your help over the years!!! Really appreciate having you as a resource

Posted : 05/07/2019 2:09 am
Bad Mister

Sorry, I haven’t had a Motif ES in more than a decade... so my memory on the details of how it worked have been blurred by time. Plus, one of the big differences between the ES and the XS was the evolution of the Arpeggiators.

Yes an Arp Phrase must be played by a single Voice, absolutely. The four tracks of the Arp creation tool all are applied to the same one sound... this allows for different Convert Types to be used to make the resulting Arpeggio. For example, on guitar strumming Arps, only the musical notes need to be chord intelligent (Org Note), while things like finger noise, and the raking sound of pick on strings can be converted using the “Fixed Note” Convert Type.

You will find some Voices, called Mega Voices... that either have different musical articulations at specific Velocities or mapped above or below the natural range of the instrument. These have especially prepared Mega Arp (Guitar and Bass) that take advantage of these Velocity and Note mapping schemes...

Posted : 05/07/2019 7:25 pm
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Phil... that clears it up. I was thinking the four track-single voice set up might have been limited to creating drum arpeggios but now I know to look and listen for the added articulations to combine w/i the allowed four tracks. Another good find. Thanks again! I am right that XS actually incorporates these added articulations into live play, like mutes on legato notes, etc...?

Posted : 06/07/2019 1:09 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us