Clear all

Motif ES - Recording / Editing User Drum Phrases - Step vs. Replace/overdub

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

In pattern mode, if I record each drum kit voice to a separate track, when I am done editing, is there a job to combine them all together on one track? I found the divide job to do the opposite and I found the mix track to combine two tracks, but what if I have 5-6 drum voices spread on 5-6 tracks. Do I just combine two at a time with mix track job?

Second question, I just started incorporating step recording to lay down some parts of my drum patterns. Seems to work best for fixed intervals & velocities, then I add the remaining voicing with overdub. I tried using step to edit but, there seems to be limits, things I can only edits through events. For example, am I correct that all step editing is limited to either add or delete, not move? And, is all editing done by the beat? In other words, if I have a snare and kick on the same beat, there is no way to delete just one without the other? That, I can only do with event editing?

Posted : 15/11/2019 10:59 pm
Bad Mister

Voices are not recorded, strictly speaking, MIDI events are recorded to Tracks.

If you want to assemble a drum Kit you do so in VOICE mode, not by moving Track data.

Writing out the procedure would make it look more difficult than it actual is...
But briefly, if you record your drums on different Kits on separate Tracks, you’ll need to find the Drums you used and assemble them into one Kit.
You already know how to combine the MIDI events (Mix Track).
This will be a VOICE mode, Job > Copy.

Make note of what KEY and which KIT you have used on the different Tracks.
Go to VOICE mode select a User Drum Kit and begin to assemble them into the one Drum Kit

Press [EDIT]
Press [1] to view Element/Key edit parameters
Touch a Key to recall its data.

Say you want to put the Bass drum you want on C1
Touch C1 to recall its assignment
Press [JOB]
Press [F3] COPY
On the top set the Drum Kit and the Key of the Bass drum you want to Copy
On the lower item set the KEY in the Current Kit, C1

Rinse and repeat until you have assembled all the sounds you used into this (the current) Kit, on the appropriate KEY so the MIDI data will trigger the correct sound.
Name and STORE your new Kit (very important you RENAME the Kit).
Make sure you substitute this new Kit in any Song, Pattern or Performance you are going to work on.

Posted : 16/11/2019 12:59 am
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Phil, i already assembled my preferred kits parts in voice mode, I meant to ask for help creating drum beats (user phrases) all using a single user drum voice with all my preferred kit drums mapped to the keys. Rather than overdubbing on one track, i wanted to try recording all kit sounds on different tracks and then combine them to one track. is the mix track the only job to do this, two at a time? My second question was about step recording. Can I overdub to the same clock tick in step? Is step editing limited to erasing and only erasing by clock tick?

Posted : 17/11/2019 3:40 am
Bad Mister

For details on using Step Record see page 238 of the Owner’s Manual.

Entering a chord
In Step recording, you can also enter chords. Press and hold down each note of the chord in succession, then release them all together to record them as a chord. Keep in mind that notes are not actually recorded to a track until they are released.

Posted : 17/11/2019 11:34 am
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Phil, was just looking for a few kernals of knowledge beyond the manual. Please just check my understanding of this step recording function. Right now I am using it in combination with replace and overdub to lay down my drum track in pattern mode. Am I correct that in step recording, I can make more than one pass to record more than one different trigger note on the same clock tick? And all editing in step recording is done by clock ticks, removing everything recorded on the tick? I understand the other editing tools I have, i.e. by event, or undo / redo jobs. Just trying to incorporate step recording to try to save some time putting together my drum tracks.

Posted : 18/11/2019 2:33 pm
Bad Mister

Am I correct that in step recording, I can make more than one pass to record more than one different trigger note on the same clock tick?

You can enter several notes - you didn’t read what I wrote ...if you press a key and hold it and you press another key ... only when you let go are the events entered.

If you wanted to play four notes on a single clock tick press and hold the first one down and tap the others. When you let go all four events will be entered and the clock advances.

You can also have it register how much velocity you strike each key!

Posted : 18/11/2019 5:18 pm
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I read and understand what you wrote about entering chords and know that its the release of one or more held notes that writes the Midi trigger notes. I was trying to ask about whether I can use step recording to overdub several passes.... For example, in the first pass I put in quarter note kicks, second pass I put in half note snares and third pass, I put in eighth note HHs. To the extent, I am recording on the same clock tick with different release points (i.e. one after another / overdubs), will it still retain the prior trigger notes on the same clock tick? Again, I am just trying to understand whether I can overdub in step recording.....

Posted : 18/11/2019 8:45 pm
Bad Mister

Yes, of course.

Posted : 19/11/2019 2:07 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us