Synth Forum

Motif XS... Pitch B...

Notifications
Clear all

Motif XS... Pitch Bend range for each Element ??

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 joel
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Is it possible to set a pitch bend range for each element in a Voice?

If so, what's the proper programming procedure?

Thanks,

Posted : 28/07/2015 6:26 pm
Bad Mister

No. Here's how that works. Pitch Bend is a standard MIDI message with its own Category of message (En) where "E" is Pitch Bend and "n" is the Midi Channel number. It is a "Channel" message - this means all devices set to receive on the channel will respond. PB messages have a range of some 16,384 units... 8192 negative, 0 in the center and 8191 positive units. When you move a Pitch Bender it always sends these unit values. "How far" that bends the receiving device is set in that receiving tone engine.

The Motif XS has two levels of Voice programming: COMMON parameters (which are overall) and ELEMENT parameters (which are individual components). PB RANGE +/- is a COMMON parameter.

While detuning is an individual ELEMENT parameter, PB is applied to all ELEMENTS in common... Such that when you send it a PB message the entire Voice bends together.

When you place a VOICE in a "PART" (this means either in a Performance or Song/Pattern Mixing) the PB RANGE becomes a PART parameter. You can have the XS copy the PB RANGE as it was set in Voice mode by setting the "Parameter with Voice" option to ON prior to selecting the Voice for the PART.

Hope that helps. What is it you are trying to accomplish?

Posted : 28/07/2015 8:04 pm
 joel
Eminent Member
Topic starter

hmm, that's ashame. I have several synths in my collections that allows pitch bending of Osc 1, but not Osc 2. But, the mighty Motif is not capable.

Thanks again bad mister for your continued support.

Posted : 28/07/2015 8:58 pm
Bad Mister

joel wrote:

hmm, that's ashame. I have several synths in my collections that allows pitch bending of Osc 1, but not Osc 2. But, the mighty Motif is not capable.

Thanks again bad mister for your continued support.

I will not argue with you but I doubt that is accurate. You may be able to change the Tuning of the Oscillator 1 and not change the Tuning of Oscillator 2 and you are calling that "pitch bend"... The mighty Motif can do that as well, but with all due respect, that is not what you asked about. Thus my explanation of what Pitch Bend is in Midi... And that you could certainly adjust detuning... I answered your quick question, suspecting you had something else in mind. Allow me to explain... you will be detuning one of the mighty Motif's 8 oscillators and not another!! You can assign this to any controller you desire

You can even use the PB WHEEL but you will not be, technically speaking, bending pitch, so if you wish to use the PB WHEEL you will first need to release it from its normal duty. Here's how:

This is accomplished by setting the Voice's PB RANGE parameters to +0/-0
again, this is because we are not bending *pitch* we will be *tuning* (like you were with your other synths).
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON EDIT]
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF2] PLAY MODE
Set the PB RANGE UPPER/LOWER both to 0

Press [F4] CONTROL SET
Program one of the six Control Sets as follows:

SOURCE = Pitch Bend
DESTINATION = "Coarse tune" or "Fine tune" (your choice)
DEPTH = the amount you wish to bend the pitch... FYI +16 Coarse Tune equals approximately 1 octave.
ELEMENT SWITCHES - mark the Elements you want to "tune" in real time via the PB WHEEL. Unmark the Elements you don't want to change.

Press [STORE] to store you newly edited Voice.

Extra Credit:
There are six Control Sets: if want the second oscillator (Element) to bend a different distance, simply use a second Control Set and set a different DEPTH and obviously select the other Element and deselect the first for this Control Set.

By setting the DEPTH in the first Control Set to "coarse tune" +16, and the second Control Set to "coarse tune" +12, for example, when you move the pitch bend wheel each Element 'tunes' according to it's set distance... Apply this to a mono lead tone and it gives you a nice Minor third interval when you move the Wheel up to maximum: sixth above paired with the octave up. Bend down Element 1 bends down an octave, a Element 2 bends down a sixth.

You can set the first Control Set to coarse tune in a (+) positive direction, while Control Set 2 coarse tunes the other Element in a (-) negative direction! Think of the possibilities with six Control Sets!!!!

Be sure you select and deselect the Element Switches... Obviously a single Element cannot be bent simultaneously up and down. Select as many Elements for a tuning behavior as you may require for the Voice you've selected.

Say it, "My Motif XS is mighty, too!" 🙂

Posted : 29/07/2015 1:46 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us