Notifications
Clear all

MU1000 Power Supply Question

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Dee
Topic starter

I wanted to get this module, but they're all being sold from Japan. Are they different than ones sold from US sellers? This would be my first hardware purchase! What would I need to do to run it from the wall here in the United States?! Explain like I'm five, please! XD

Posted : 10/06/2020 12:34 pm
Bad Mister

I don’t recall the MU1000-series being introduced in the United States. The Desktop Music (GM/XG) market was far more robust in Japan...
In Japan the Voltage is 100V so you will want to get an appropriate AC adapter for that unit.

If you attempt to run it on 110-120V (as here in the US) you’re in an area that is not recommended. Heat becomes a serious issue... there will always be someone who will tell you that they’ve done this and are still here to talk about it, but no one giving you ‘good‘ solid advice would tell you that this is Ok. You need to get an appropriate adapter.

If you can get a hold of the Owner’s Manual look up what Yamaha Power Adapter came with that product and then find the appropriate USA rated substitute. As I recall the MU products were all the same DC In — the included AC power adapter was provided for the market it was shipped into. The Power adapter is AC (plugs into the local power source) it provides a DC voltage connector that plugs into the product itself.

You can call Customer Support, they will be able to look that up for you and tell you the recommended substitute.

Posted : 10/06/2020 8:10 pm
 Dee
Topic starter

I contacted support as you said. They only told me the original part being a PA6. I think this is what I need: https://www.amazon.com/TMEZON-Power-Adapter-Supply-2-1mm/dp/B00Q2E5IXW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=2+amp+12v+2a&qid=1591827122&s=electronics&sr=1-2

I don’t recall the MU1000-series being introduced in the United States. The Desktop Music (GM/XG) market was far more robust in Japan...
In Japan the Voltage is 100V so you will want to get an appropriate AC adapter for that unit.

If you attempt to run it on 110-120V (as here in the US) you’re in an area that is not recommended. Heat becomes a serious issue... there will always be someone who will tell you that they’ve done this and are still here to talk about it, but no one giving you ‘good‘ solid advice would tell you that this is Ok. You need to get an appropriate adapter.

If you can get a hold of the Owner’s Manual look up what Yamaha Power Adapter came with that product and then find the appropriate USA rated substitute. As I recall the MU products were all the same DC In — the included AC power adapter was provided for the market it was shipped into. The Power adapter is AC (plugs into the local power source) it provides a DC voltage connector that plugs into the product itself.

You can call Customer Support, they will be able to look that up for you and tell you the recommended substitute.

Posted : 11/06/2020 6:02 am
Bad Mister

I contacted support as you said. They only told me the original part being a PA6.

You can replace the PA6 with a Yamaha PA150, purchase locally!

Posted : 11/06/2020 10:33 am
 Dee
Topic starter

I contacted support as you said. They only told me the original part being a PA6.

You can replace the PA6 with a Yamaha PA150, purchase locally!

Is that part safe to use on this unit here in the US? All I was told was to use a "2amp and center positive on the lug". If I sent them a part they wouldn't comment on it since the module is so old, so I am stuck investigating it myself.

Posted : 12/06/2020 9:25 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us