Clear all

RE: Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO driver

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Tony
Topic starter

March 25, 2020.
I am trying to connect my Motif ES rack to Cubase AI7 using USB/Windows 10 (64 bit). I am getting the exact same error "device could not be opened" when I select “Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO” in the VST audio of Cubase. Here's what I've done so far:
1. Tried three different USB cables on both the ports on my PC
2. Tried loading each of the Steinberg drivers from version 173, 183, and 203.
3. Tried loading a Yamaha USB driver um314x64
3. Tried changing the MIDI in/out on the ES rack to USB
restarted between each change.
4. In the device manager, the ES rack is displayed with a warning flag when using the Steinberg driver. With the Yamaha driver it is displayed and says the driver is installed and up to date.
I had Cubase running on a Behringer XR18 rack with no issues, is it possible that I just have not found the correct driver for the older Motif ES rack?
Thanks in Advance....Tony

Posted : 26/03/2020 1:06 am
Bad Mister

We moved your post to the Legacy Yamaha Synths forum because you do not own a MODX and therefore could not have the exact same problem... the Motif-Rack ES uses a different driver (ASIO does not apply).

I am trying to connect my Motif ES rack to Cubase AI7 using USB/Windows 10 (64 bit). I am getting the exact same error "device could not be opened" when I select “Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO” in the VST audio of Cubase.

Your issue is you are attempting to use the wrong driver. The Motif-Rack ES does not use the “Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO” Driver.

Go to the Yamaha download site and get “Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver”

2. Tried loading each of the Steinberg drivers from version 173, 183, and 203.

There is no such thing as “Steinberg drivers”. Besides the Motif-Rack ES predates the Yamaha purchase of Steinberg by two years

3. Tried loading a Yamaha USB driver um314x64

That is the correct driver!! Stick with it!

4. In the device manager, the ES rack is displayed with a warning flag when using the Steinberg driver. With the Yamaha driver it is displayed and says the driver is installed and up to date.

That’s good news because it is the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver that is the correct driver. The Motif-Rack ES is not an audio interface and therefore couldn’t use the ”Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO Driver” — it does not do audio via USB (Multi channel Audio via USB was not available back in 2003)

I had Cubase running on a Behringer XR18 rack with no issues, is it possible that I just have not found the correct driver for the older Motif ES rack?

The Behringer running with no issue is irrelevant. You have found the correct driver: Yamaha USB-MIDI V3.1.4 (64-bit for Windows).

So far, it sounds like you have everything setup properly. Your computer reports the driver is installed and working properly.
Try recording/playing MIDI Tracks through the Motif-Rack ES - Review your DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP... > MIDI > MIDI PORT SETUP
Make sure your controller appears in the “IN ALL MIDI INPUTS” column

Posted : 26/03/2020 3:03 am
 Tony
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister. Having the correct driver will a great starting point. I'll press on from here...tony

Posted : 26/03/2020 1:47 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us