Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

S90 ES midi drivers

29 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
21.3 K Views

If I understand you correctly, the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver 1.3.2 is working and is communicating with your S90 ES

MainStage will (among other things) tell you which key you are pressing on a controller keyboard.

What perplexes me, is that I can plug a newer controller in and it works (without any drivers), but when I plug in my s90ES with appropriate driver, it still does not pass the key strokes through to MainStage. So this makes me think there is something awry with the Yamaha-with-drivers solution because the newer-keyboard-without-drivers works fine.

In other words, I don't think it is a MainStage problem. I'm only using MainStage to help me troubleshoot.

Doug

Posted : 03/06/2015 12:18 am
Bad Mister

Mainstage, I don't know what it's purpose is in your setup. Or whether or not you need the YAMAHA USB-MIDI driver for it. Sorry. I suggest you contact the makers of Mainstage if you have questions about whether or not you need a driver or if Mainstage allows you select a Midi driver. Sorry, I don't know the newer device you used as an example that just connected (does it have even have a driver, or does it just use the generic driver? A distinct possibility being a newer (simpler) device...

The S90 ES requires a driver because it not only communicates regular note-on, tempo and controllers (Port1) but can act as a Remote Control for DAW software on a separate USB-MIDI port, act as a discreet MIDI interface for one external device connected to its 5-Pin Midi jack on the back panel on another USB-MIDI port, multiple PLG Boards can be addressed discreetly on their own Ports etc., etc.; so, yes, it might be a bit more complex than the other device you reference. Your S90 ES is from 2005 so it will not necessarily just "plug and play" ten years later, but I think that is to be expected. What port # did you select for the S90 ES? Does it allows to select ports by number... If so, make sure you select Port 1.

If you can open the Control Panel of the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver and it shows your connection, then it is working, agreed?
Prove it to yourself, open a DAW software, select the S90 ES, and record some MIDI tracks... If you can.

In other words, I don't think it is a MainStage problem.

I think Mainstage is the problem. This based on what you, yourself have said.

Can you show a screenshot of the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver's Control Panel?
Can you show a screenshot of where in this Mainstage program you have selected the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver?

Reason I ask is this is where I would look if I was troubleshooting this issue.
If not, when you open the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver Control Panel, can you test the connection by clicking the SEND NOTE ON function. If the S90 ES responds you have a working connection. Click SEND ALL NOTES OFF to complete this test.
In Mainstage, are you able to select a MIDI driver for the connected devices? (sorry, I know nothing about Mainstage and the setup).

Let us know.

PS... Make sure your S90 ES is set to MIDI IN/OUT = USB if you are connected directly to your Mac with a USB cable... (just making sure we haven't missed something obvious).

Update: Okay, I just downloaded and read through the MainStage 3 User Guide, and while it mentions you can select the driver required for your connected keyboard, it does not show exactly where that occurs... Hopefully it is more obvious when you are running the program. Are you confident you have selected the "Yamaha S90 ES-1" (Port 1) in the appropriate place?

Posted : 03/06/2015 12:41 pm

PS... Make sure your S90 ES is set to MIDI IN/OUT = USB if you are connected directly to your Mac with a USB cable... (just making sure we haven't missed something obvious).

AAAHHHHHHH!!!!! It was an obvious oversight. I thank you greatly Bad Mister! I am in your debt. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

-Doug

Posted : 04/06/2015 8:28 pm
 Joe

Bad Mister wrote:

Welcome to Yamaha Synth!

This is the official website for all things Yamaha Synthesizers. You will also want to bookmark the official download site for all things Yamaha. And it is still active so we are not sure where you were looking but obviously it was not on the official Yamaha download site.

You will also want to bookmark the following link:

http://download.yamaha.com

You arrive at the global portal for all official Yamaha downloads (firmware, software, manuals, etc.)
Select your country.
Type in your MODEL NAME: S90 ES
When the SEARCH RESULT appear, verify your model by clicking on: S90 ES

The items for the S90 ES will appear.
You are looking for the USB-MIDI Driver version 1.3.2 for Mac OS X updated November 7, 2014 to include Yosemite.

The download will include the driver and all instructions (PDF) for installing it. This will allow you to connect the S90 ES to your Macintosh computer via a USB cable. Make sure you set your S90 ES to utilize USB communication.
Press [UTILITY] > select MIDI > OTHER >
Set the MIDI IN/OUT = USB.

This driver is MIDI communication only. Your post asks about drivers (plural) this is the only driver you need for MIDI communication.

Let us know.

Hi Bad Mister,

I have found a USB Driver that states that should work up to Mac OS 10.12 called "USB-MIDI Driver V1.3.2-2" which was suppose to have been updated on "Dec. 20, 2016" - http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/downloads/firmware_software/mididrivers/

But the down loaded file "Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver V1.3.2.pkg" has a creation date of "8//7/12" and will not work with El Capitan (10.11)

I have been looking around, but I have not been able to find the "Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver V1.3.2-2.pkg" Driver.

Do you know where I might be able to find it?

Thank you,
Joe

Posted : 25/06/2017 11:24 pm
 Joe

Bad Mister wrote:

Welcome to Yamaha Synth!

This is the official website for all things Yamaha Synthesizers. You will also want to bookmark the official download site for all things Yamaha. And it is still active so we are not sure where you were looking but obviously it was not on the official Yamaha download site.

You will also want to bookmark the following link:

http://download.yamaha.com

You arrive at the global portal for all official Yamaha downloads (firmware, software, manuals, etc.)
Select your country.
Type in your MODEL NAME: S90 ES
When the SEARCH RESULT appear, verify your model by clicking on: S90 ES

The items for the S90 ES will appear.
You are looking for the USB-MIDI Driver version 1.3.2 for Mac OS X updated November 7, 2014 to include Yosemite.

The download will include the driver and all instructions (PDF) for installing it. This will allow you to connect the S90 ES to your Macintosh computer via a USB cable. Make sure you set your S90 ES to utilize USB communication.
Press [UTILITY] > select MIDI > OTHER >
Set the MIDI IN/OUT = USB.

This driver is MIDI communication only. Your post asks about drivers (plural) this is the only driver you need for MIDI communication.

Let us know.

Hi Bad Mister,

I have found a USB Driver that states that should work up to Mac OS 10.12 called "USB-MIDI Driver V1.3.2-2" which was suppose to have been updated on "Dec. 20, 2016" - http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/downloads/firmware_software/mididrivers/

But the down loaded file "Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver V1.3.2.pkg" has a creation date of "8//7/12" and will not work with El Capitan (10.11)
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/downloads/firmware_software/mididrivers/um1322mx.jsp

I have been looking around, but I have not been able to find the "Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver V1.3.2-2.pkg" Driver.

Do you know where I might be able to find it?

Thank you,
Joe

Posted : 25/06/2017 11:26 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Joe,
What product do you own?

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/usb-midi_driver_mac.html

Let us know.

Posted : 26/06/2017 1:26 am
 Joe

Bad Mister wrote:

Hi Joe,
What product do you own?

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/usb-midi_driver_mac.html

Let us know.

Hi Bad Mister,

I have a Yamaha S90es.

That seems to be the same file dated 8/7/12 that I have previously downloaded, but it does not seem to be recognized by my iMac running 10.11.6, El Capitan.

Joe

Posted : 26/06/2017 2:19 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Bad Mister,

I have a Yamaha S90es.

That seems to be the same file dated 8/7/12 that I have previously downloaded, but it does not seem to be recognized by my iMac running 10.11.6, El Capitan.

Joe

Joe,
I will have someone check into this... it claims it is the driver for 10.11
Yet when you download it, it does appear to be an older version's documentation.

Please standby.

Posted : 26/06/2017 3:04 pm
 Joe

Bad Mister wrote:

Hi Bad Mister,

I have a Yamaha S90es.

Joe

Joe,
Yet when you download it, it does appear to be an older version's documentation.

Please standby.

Thank you. Will do...
jc

Posted : 26/06/2017 3:33 pm
 Joe

Bad Mister wrote:

Hi Bad Mister,

I have a Yamaha S90es.

Joe

Joe,

Please standby.

Bad Mister,
I was able to resolve my driver issue with the help of Yamaha technical support today.
My S90es is now passing MIDI information via USB.

I'm not sure exactly what did the trick because I did some uninstalls, reinstalls, reboots and ran disk first aid under disk utilities, but alls well that ends well. The data stamp of the driver that I installed was the same for um132mx and um132-2mx, 8/7/12, and perhaps all they did was to just re-qualified it, but I'm up and running so I am a happy camper.

Best Regards,
jc

Posted : 05/07/2017 11:29 pm
Bad Mister

Thanks for posting back, that is appreciated. Glad everything is working!

Posted : 06/07/2017 1:19 am
 Joe

Bad Mister wrote:

Thanks for posting back, that is appreciated. Glad everything is working!

Well you said you were going to look into it. I would hate to have you spin your wheels for nothing.
Thank you for your consideration. The least that I could was to give you mine.
jc

Posted : 06/07/2017 4:56 am

Hello Bad Mister and other Yamaha staff. Thanks for maintaining this help page a full 8 years after I bought my synth, the s90 es. I just ordered and received a cable to try to link my Yamaha synth to my laptop. I think I've found the correct download page for the driver. I've even logged into my Yamaha account. But when I hover over the driver, it doesn't seem "active" (I can't download the driver). Would you have any tips for me? I'm looking at this file on your download site:

USB-MIDI Driver V3.1.4 for Win 64-bit (Win7 SP1 / Win8 / Win8.1 / Win10)

Interestingly, the Mac file is "live," meaning that I could download it. But I have 64-bit Windows 10. Help please, if you can.

Doug in Louisville, KY

Posted : 10/04/2018 8:14 am
Bad Mister

Try again...
The link does indeed seem to be broken (thanks for the head’s up we’ll report it)
In the meantime you down load the driver you need here

Posted : 10/04/2018 8:39 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us