Clear all

S90ES USB MIDI Thru port bidirectional?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Zach
Topic starter

Hi again,

I understand that the USB MIDI Driver for my S90ES allows me to utilize one MIDI port for the external MIDI connectors. I guess I always read this as it being an additional MIDI interface with input/output. However, it sure looks like even though MIDI data sent from computer to Port 4 goes out the MIDI OUT on the S90ES, MIDI data sent into the MIDI IN does not get sent to the computer over USB. Is this to be expected? In other words, is the MIDI interface the USB/MIDI thru functionality provides output only? The wording in the manual doesn't seem to unambiguously answer what should be a quick question.

Thanks!

Posted : 22/10/2015 7:01 pm
Bad Mister

The wording in the manual doesn't seem to unambiguously answer what should be a quick question.

? Huh! πŸ™‚

When you have your S90 ES set to MIDI IN/OUT = USB, the MIDI ports are not used for the S90 ES itself. they become available for an external device.

In fact: the S90 ES used with the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver becomes a MIDI Interface for 1 external device.

That is, any key presses you make on the external keyboard will be routed THROUGH (without stopping) the S90 ES and go directly to the computer, merged as PORT 1 of the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver. Play either keyboard and it will be seen by the computer as PORT 1.

Any TRACK in your software that is routed OUT via Yamaha USB-MIDI OUT PORT (x) will arrive back at the external MIDI device connected to the MIDI OUT jack of the ES>

The PORT x is determined by the S90 ES's β€œTHRU PORT” parameter.

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] MIDI
Press [SF4] OTHER
Set MIDI IN/OUT = USB
Set the THRU PORT = the PORT you want to designate to return MIDI (OUT) data to the external device. If you set it to 3 for example, any track routed to Yamaha USB OUT PORT 3 would trigger that external device.... assuming you connect a cable from the ES MIDI OUT to your external keyboards MIDI IN.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 23/10/2015 1:51 am
 Zach
Topic starter

Thanks for the quick reply (wow you're good). I guess I made things more confusing and ambiguous. I knew about the UTILITY/MIDI/OTHER settings (had it set to Port 4), but for the life of me did not understand that the data received at the ES MIDI IN would be merged into Port 1. I had the assumption that both Input and Output would be over the Thru Port and was only looking at USB MIDI Port 4. I see now when I look at Port 1 I see activity from my external device. I do wish it were able to act as an independent MIDI I/O interface on its own port, but it's easily worked around. And at least I know it's due to my lack of understanding, not that I was doing something wrong. Thanks again!

Posted : 23/10/2015 2:21 am
Bad Mister

I do wish it were able to act as an independent MIDI I/O interface on its own port, but it's easily worked around.

Yeah, it was designed so a musician with an 88-key weighted action and a 61/76 synth action could use either controller for convenience... since you will likely be working with LOCAL CONTROL = OFF. Yamaha changed from using the "Thru Port" parameter as explained above, to giving the external device its own dedicated IN/OUT port back in 2007 (starting with the Motif XS) All current products function with a dedicated IN/OUT Port number.

Cubase can be setup to "merge" incoming MIDI Ports, if/when necessary..

Posted : 23/10/2015 11:37 am
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us