Notifications
Clear all

transfer song From Cubase to Motif XS

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 jeff
Topic starter

I create tracks for my church at home with Cubase and Motif XS rack. Then playback at church on Motif XS8 Currently I take my lapto to church, connect usb to motif XS, load Cubase, load Motif XS8 in studio manager and open the settings created for Motif XS rack. Load that into Motif XS 8 save song as SMF onto USB drive then import song to Motif XS8. Save and replay.Is there an easier way to do this? Thx BTW - I like the new site.

Posted : 06/12/2014 2:06 pm
Bad Mister

jeff wrote:

I create tracks for my church at home with Cubase and Motif XS rack. Then playback at church on Motif XS8 Currently I take my lapto to church, connect usb to motif XS, load Cubase, load Motif XS8 in studio manager and open the settings created for Motif XS rack. Load that into Motif XS 8 save song as SMF onto USB drive then import song to Motif XS8. Save and replay.Is there an easier way to do this? Thx BTW - I like the new site.

Sounds like it works - we have only one suggestion. If you are using Cubase and the Motif-Rack XS at home to create your sequences, then, of course, it is possible for you, through the FILES you create, to 'open' the MULTI and the VOICES you used in the Rack XS, using the Motif XS's Editor.

You can download the Motif XS Editor Standalone/VST for your computer Operating System and create the MIXING setup by opening the Motif-Rack XS Editor's file. That is the proper way to move the MULTI to the MIXING.

The Standard MIDI File (SMF) is a quick and efficient way to move the sequence MIDI data from Cubase to the Motif XS Sequencer. This data must be moved by exporting the Cubase data as a Standard MIDI File (Type 0, 480 pulses per quarter note). The only other way would be real time transfer... and while this works, it is not as efficient as opening a file.

If you are *still* using the STUDIO MANAGER version of the Editor (version 1.4.0 or earlier) you are not using the latest version of the Motif-Rack XS Editor Standalone/VST. The versions later than 1.6.x no longer require the STUDIO MANAGER "host application". With a single downloaded version you can run the Editor either as a stand alone program or you can launch it as VSTi within Cubase (or any VST3 compatible DAW software).

Your workflow would be as follows: You have two sets of data you need to move:
1) the Sequence data
2) the Synthesizer setup data

Sequence as you normally do with Cubase and your Motif-Rack XS, using the Motif-Rack XS Editor Standalone/VST version 1.6.x (for your computer Operating System)
Take one extra step and save a separate Motif-Rack XS Editor File (.x1e) in addition to saving the Cubase project as a (.CPR) file and exporting the MIDI data as a (.MID) file (Type 0, 480 clocks).

The Motif-Rack XS Editor File (.x1e) is the file that you will be able to OPEN directly with the Motif XS Editor Standalone/VST version 1.6.x
The SMF (.MID) is the file that you will be able to load directly to the Motif XS sequencer.

Load the .MID file into the Motif XS into a specific SONG location
When you open the (.x1e) with the XS Editor, and bring it ONLINE it will bulk the Rack XS MULTI into the current SONG location on the hardware XS... thus reuniting the MIDI data with the synthesizer multi-timbral setup.

Alternative Method
... would include preparing your Sequence data so that it contained all the settings in the TRACK data of a .MID File ... this way you might avoid having to take your computer with you to church. You could prepare a SMF so that it setup the Motif XS completely by simply playing the file. This is a bit more work - but is definitely a viable option... particularly if you wish to not have to bring your computer.

The Motif-Rack XS and the Motif XS share the same product ID, so you should be able to bulk dump the individual MULTI data from the Rack and attach that data on the front of your MIDI File. This will faithfully load all the settings from the MULTI into the Motif XS. Because System Exclusive data of the size of the entire MULTI can obscure all vestiges of TEMPO, it is highly recommended that you simply create a separate FILE; one for the SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE (bulk) data and a second file for the MIDI data. Reassemble the data in the keyboard XS.

I'm recommending you simply use the ability to move the MULTI from the Motif-Rack XS (which is at home) to the Motif XS (which is at church) with a BULK DUMP.

On your Motif-Rack XS:
Call up the MULTI you used
Press and hold [MULTI] + [STORE]
The screen will briefly read "Now transmitting MIDI bulk data..."
It takes a second or two, the entire MULTI is bulked OUT via USB-MIDI. It includes every setting, every Voice selection, the entire MULTI**.

This can be captured in Cubase to a MIDI track set to receive data from the Rack XS (make sure your Cubase "Preferences" > MIDI > MIDI FILTER allow you to record and pass System Exclusive data.

Capture the Multi setup as a short .MID File. (The whole bulk dump takes about 2 seconds).
Use that to transfer the MULTI setup.
The Motif XS can playback that small file which will load the MULTI to the current SONG MIXING location. (This is only the synthesizer setup).
Press [STORE] to store the MIXING in the Motif XS.
Then you can simply load the music data .MID File to this same SONG location and you have it all in the Motif XS.

At that point I would make an ALL data file (Motif XS .X0A) so that you have your complete composition backed up as Motif XS data.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 06/12/2014 7:52 pm
 jeff
Topic starter

Thanks I do exactly as you describe but I think I'll try the bulk dump and leave the laptop at home. Thanks for the help.

Posted : 07/12/2014 4:22 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us