Notifications
Clear all

using CUBASE with my MOX8

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Ron
Topic starter

Hi, I have an MOX8 and it comes with CUBASE AI but i can't seem to get them to work together. this is the message when I open Cubase....... "Impossible to record audio because the audio input is not active. Open the ASIO DirectX full duplex setup dialog. Make sure that a device is selected in the input ports section and that its check box is activated." I'm sorry, but this seems to be way over my head. Can anyone help me out with some instructions? Thank you.

Posted : 24/08/2014 6:22 pm
Bad Mister

Welcome to Yamaha Synth!

You need a specific Driver in order to use your MOX8 with your computer. The driver you are attempting to use will NOT work for what the MOX8 sends to the computer via USB. The MOX8 has a specific driver that handles both its MIDI and AUDIO communication with the computer... without it you will not have success.

Go to the Official Yamaha Download site: http://download.yamaha.com
Select your Country
Type in your MODEL NAME: MOX8
When the SEARCH RESULTS appear, verify by clicking: MOX8

You want to download the "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver version 1.8.6" For your particular computer and computer Operating System
This driver will handle all MIDI and AUDIO communication between your MOX8 and your computer. It comes with an INSTALLATION GUIDE that will give all the instructions on getting it installed. We highly recommend you read this short guide twice:
Once, the first time to see what it will involve - this way you are prepared.
The second time as you install it, Step-by-step.

Only this special driver will allow your MOX8 to speak to and be understood by your computer. You do not provide information on what type of computer - but most likely you are using a Windows PC - make sure you download items for your specific computer Type and Operating System. Read listed items carefully.

OTHER ITEMS of INTEREST:
While you are there, you will also want to download the following items:
Firmware: MOX OS Updater version 1.02 - adds new features and functions to your instrument
Software: MOX6/MOX8 Editor Standalone/VST - free Editor
Software: MOX6/MOX8 Remote Tools version 1.1.4 - MOX Extensions and the Remote Editor

All downloadable items come with instructions... if you get stuck post back here. (We moved your post from the MOXF forum, here to Legacy Products because the MOX qualifies now as a "legacy product").

Posted : 25/08/2014 12:07 pm
 Rob

Hi,

I have a similar query to Ron, above. I am using a MOX6 with the Cubase AI 5 which it came with, on Windows 7, but am unable to make them connect. Cubase can't find the MIDI extension. I noticed some old advice was to get the Remote Tools download, but other people write that it is not compatible with earlier than Cubase 6. The download for "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver version 1.8.6" which BadMister advises, above, is no longer in the list for updates for MOX6. Can anyone help? What are my options short of getting rid of the MOX?!

Thanks

Posted : 28/06/2017 4:19 pm
Bad Mister

The thread is from three years ago. As you probably already know electronic music gear far outlasts software and computers. On average musicians can keep a keyboard for as long as ten years. In ten years any software, any computer you were using is so out dated to the point you cannot actually use them any more.

Cubase AI5 is now non-compliant with today's operating systems. That's computer talk for 'it might not work any more'. I'm not trying to make light of the situation but it's not going to be possible to keep using the same software forever, the changes (advances) in the computer OS that give us more features, obsolete (eventually) older versions.

Your MOX is still functioning hardware. It's now the free version of Cubase AI5 that is standing in your way. Let's agree that if you've been using it since the MOX came out in 2011 you've probably have gotten the full value out of it. The reason Yamaha provides the entry level version of the Cubase software is an unabashed attempt to entice you to upgrade to the full professional version of the program.

That said, this doesn't mean you have to, it's just a clever way to whet the appetite of those curious about 'what happens' when I connect to a computer.

What's a better option is simply upgrade to a full version of Cubase... since Cubase series 5, four generations have happened... the "non-compliant" line is generally four to six years behind (on the software side)... the things that make the software work change... for example, for a time 32-bit and 64-bit versions were coexisting, you simply selected your flavor... well, 32-bit things are quickly slipping away...

No need to bale on the MOX, if you still like it, it's still relevant hardware. You simply need to upgrade the host software. Contact Steinberg... you have a Steinberg Account, see what juicy offers they have on Cubase series 9.

They have recently redone the global site, legacy drivers may have been placed some where out of site... please standby... I will report back when I hear about what happened to the MOX DRIVERS... Sorry for the inconvenience.

Posted : 28/06/2017 11:04 pm
Bad Mister

In the meantime, you can go to the MOXF Product page, then to Download - since the one thing that the MOX and MOXF share it is the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver... that you can safely download and use with your MOX.

I have sent a message to see if they can put the driver with the Firmware and Software for MOX. Thanks, hope that helps.

Posted : 29/06/2017 12:10 am
 Rob

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I will upgrade my Cubase, as you suggest.

Thanks as well for that Download. I'll let you know how I get on!

Posted : 03/07/2017 2:46 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us