Notifications
Clear all

Using midi drum pad controller and motif XS for cubase pro 9

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Eric
Topic starter

Hello everyone, I am currently using Cubase Pro 9 and Motif XS8 using firewire (mLan) connections to my windows 10 PC. Everything is working fine. But I'm itching to buy a drum pad controller to use it for creating drum patterns to cubase. It looks like it will be more easier to use it than the keybed of motif XS8. I know this can be attain when I use an external audio interface and basically connect both XS8 and midi drum pad controller to that audio interface. But right now my setup is that XS8 is the one acting as the audio interface since i'm using the firewire (mlan) capability of the motif xs8 connected to the computer. This setup currently works very well to me.

Can anybody give me an insights, if buying a midi drum pad controller and attaching that to the midi in of my motif xs8 and I will be able to control the drum sounds in Cubase pro 9 like groove agent? Or in other words would the midi drum pad controller be recognized by the DAW (cubase pro 9) through mlan if I attached it through the MIDI IN connection of motif xs8.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted : 05/04/2017 8:02 pm
Bad Mister

Your Motif XS8 has a built-in MIDI and Audio Interface for your external Drum Pad kit. Connect the MIDI Out of the Kit to the XS MIDI In, and the Out of the XS to the In of the Kit. Your computer will see this Connect as a discreet MIDI device. Using the Yamaha Steinberg FW driver, the "Motif XS Main In/Out" refers to the the Motif XS. "Motif XS MIDI In/Out" will refer to your Drum Kit.

Connect the audio outputs of the Drum Pad Kit to the A/D Inputs on the XS back panel. You will be able to assign two Insertion Effects and route the sound of the Kit to audio tracks in Cubase using the FW systems 16 audio bus outputs.

You will be able to trigger drum sounds (like Groove Agent), VSTi soft synths, the Motif XS, etc., etc.
You will be able to record both MIDI and Audio from the kit through your FW equipped Motif XS.

You'll love how this works.

Posted : 06/04/2017 2:55 am
 Eric
Topic starter

Yes, thank you Bad Mister. It works like a charm!!!! Motif XS8 is really one heck of an interface.

Posted : 12/04/2017 5:11 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us