Synth Forum

Will the MO6 work w...

Notifications
Clear all

Will the MO6 work with Studio One and Windows 10?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I want to learn to play keyboards well enough to satisfy myself. I use Studio One 3, and I am familiar with midi controllers. Can I purchase an MO6 and be satisfied with its performance, connectivity and capabilities? I would consider the MOX6 as well, but given that I am new to keyboarding (and some of the reviews I have read about the MO6), I am wondering if the MO6 will be sufficient.

Posted : 05/06/2016 2:14 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Brian,
Welcome to YamahaSynth. The basic answer is that the MO6 as a MIDI device will be able to connect with your computer (Windows 10) and your software, because that portion of connectivity has remained fairly stable over the last decade. But what will suffer is the type of connectivity, and the ancillary software. Your question really hinging a on what your level of satisfaction is, how *you* measure that.

What we can do is explain what you might miss out on and why. The MO6 came out in 2005, and being more than a decade old, the software that supported it, was separated into two editors (where now things are integrated a lot better into one graphic interface); back then, you also needed additional piece of hardware to record audio to your computer. The MO did not include an audio interface built-in.

Studio One as a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) can record both MIDI (data) and AUDIO (sound), the MO6 does not have an audio interface integrated into the synth, so you would need to get a separate audio interface to record sound. Since that time, the MO series, took on a letter "X", the MOX (2011) - which significantly added a dual stereo audio interface, so that both MIDI and Audio could easily recorded to music production software, plus you could integrate a graphic user interface of the synth on the computer screen (editor) that would allow you to manipulate and easily store your setups on the computer. So in the time between 2005 and 2011, the MO series grew to include an integrated, one cable solution for MIDI and audio in a home studio environment.

The MOXF (2013) add the Flash Board expansion, which allows the series to load any data for its bigger sibling, the Motif XF. This staves off obsolescence because you can add new sampled waveforms. But what you miss by getting a synth that is more than 10 years old, is the major advance of being able to record both MIDI data and audio data without having to get additional gear.

The difference is easy: MIDI data is specially coded messages that can be read only by another similar device. They are not sound. The data can be captured by your software and played back to that synth. But no sound is made by the data, it only "represents" the performance, you can edit the notes, their position, their timing, even change what instrument sound on the synth plays it back. You can turn it into notation. But you can't distribute it to friends and family, unless they have a MIDI synth too.

Audio is a recording that is stored and produces sound. The .wav file can be widely distributed to friends and family, they can play it back and listen on any number of devices capable of playing back the audio. Audio is how you would record your vocals. With a built in audio interface, the 'X' series keyboards (MOX/MOXF) allow you to connect a microphone, a guitar, other keyboards to the A/D input, and routes it onto the computer. So the newer keyboards have more integrated connectivity. If audio recording interests you then this is a huge advantage. Plus the support software is way more integrated!

You have new DAW software, you're running the current Windows 10, yes, hardware musical instruments age more slowly than the software that supports it. So you could go back a decade and use a MO6, but recognize that the software designed for it is only capable of doing so much. In the area of software, the capability and the ease of operation (better integration) is going to be big, because in that decade you've had feedback and growth. Do yourself a favor, the newer the musical hardware the better you find it integrates with your newer software DAW and operating system (Windows 10).

Hope that helps.

Posted : 05/06/2016 3:01 pm
Topic starter

Thank you so much Bad Mister. I really appreciate your honest and straightforward insight. This definitely helps me make my choice for purchase.
P.S. Love your YouTube videos (very encouraging)! Again, Thank you very much for the quick and informative response.

Posted : 05/06/2016 3:16 pm

hey there! I'm new here and in this area. I'm sorry revive this post, but i have another question, I need sign sliders on DAW, but i can't, could you help me? I only read the knobs, but Kontakt 5 didn't find sliders 🙁

Posted : 25/07/2016 2:45 pm
Bad Mister

Rafael wrote:

hey there! I'm new here and in this area. I'm sorry revive this post, but i have another question, I need sign sliders on DAW, but i can't, could you help me? I only read the knobs, but Kontakt 5 didn't find sliders 🙁

Hi Rafael,

If you have a question about a Yamaha product please state which one you own. Then ask your question. You should start your own thread, instead of attaching your question to an existing thread - that has little or nothing to do with your issue.

Posted : 25/07/2016 3:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us