Yamaha MOTIF ES and...

Notifications
Clear all

Yamaha MOTIF ES and MLan currently

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, since late 2004 I have a MOTIF ES 6 and have been using it in a more common way for some years now and composing with it only full songs using its 16 parts and the sound and quality is amazing.

Lately I have been thinking about the MLan card that can be incorporated into the synthesizer because on paper it seems very useful but I don't know if it would be worth it now because it may not be compatible with Windows 10 and other things on my PC.

Does anyone use it today?

Is it worth it in 2021?

Thank you very much and greetings to all.

Posted : 13/04/2021 4:39 pm
Bad Mister

No.
Not sure how long you’ve been using computers. But I invite you to think back 17 years ago — what was your favorite game or computer program from 2004? Try running that program today. lol.

My point being if you still have a computer from 2004, and you already have the mLAN16e (discontinued in 2007) installed... sure it would be great!

But it is unlikely that you have a computer running the same OS since 2004. You might think that computers today must be more powerful and can run an audio/MIDI Network as implemented back in 2004... but you’d be wrong. How audio is handled in computers is now very different.

If you’d like to work with multiple audio bus outputs... rather than try to ride a time machine back to early days of this century... why not update your Motif ES to a more current MONTAGE. You already know much of its terminology... plus you get 32 times the Wave ROM (seriously), plus a slew of new features and functions... on, arguably, one the best sounding synthesizers of all time. (I know I work for the company but the MONTAGE can seriously back that up).

It features 32 audio bus Outputs and three stereo pairs of audio returns via a standard USB connection... and it runs on most of today’s computer operating systems. (We are currently awaiting updated Drivers for Apples new chip (once a decade they break everything and there is a pause as the music industry jumps through the next hoop).

Posted : 13/04/2021 8:58 pm
Topic starter

Thank you very much Bad Mister.

Well, funnily enough I still have a PC of 2003 PC with two Firewire ports and Windows XP hahahaha. And I bought a MODX6 two years ago (I couldn't afford the MONTAGE), but honestly, the MOTIF ES 6 sounds a lot more powerful and punchy to me.

The idea of ​​the MLan16e has been the result of looking at eBay and then by chance see that in a physical store in my country they sell a brand new one for 99 euros.

Thanks again.

Posted : 13/04/2021 11:34 pm
Bad Mister

... but honestly, the MOTIF ES 6 sounds a lot more powerful and punchy to me.

Of course you are welcome to hear what you hear. But I’ll just mention that I’ve converted my entire collection of Motif ES data to MONTAGE/MODX format... and have gone through literally hundreds of ES programs. The most startling difference is in the how immediately the sound is clearer, closer, more robust... like that tv commercial where they peel away a layer of something from the camera lens, and what was in view and you thought looked good, suddenly gets crystal clear, higher in resolution. Remarkably.

I’ve had many musicians by to listen to this difference... side-by-side. All that was done was load the ES Voices and compare them... no up programming, just as is...
I guess what I’m saying is... I could not disagree more with your statement or at least we can say that what you state has not been my experience (at all).

In fact, the four Element AWM2 architecture of the ES, makes for great starting point for programming new sounds.

Oh, and I’ll reaffirm my answer about mLAN. Fuhgeddaboutit— maintaining a system based on an mLAN16e, can be done (I’m sure there are system out there still running) it was cutting edge in 2003-2007. The true networking function was abandoned, as Macs would no longer support it, the transition from mLAN to FW took place during the Motif XS (2007-2010 w/mLAN16E2 and FW16E)... and by the Motif XF it had transitioned completely to the FW16E. From a true network to a peer-to-peer relationship between each device and the computer. FW is now a part of history for the most part... while adapters worked through to Thunderbolt, that’s it.

In the network each device (called a Node) could anchor the system. This allowed you to configure your setup in your home studio (synths, modules, mixers, processors, etc) using your desktop computer... and then you could pack up your music gear, take it to the gig. You only needed to connect them in a FW daisy-chain... no computer, it could stay at home. The devices would reestablish the network even without the desktop computer. So your mLAN mixer still accepted signal from the synths and modules, your entire setup of inputs and outputs are handled — you just daisy chain them in any order. Each node self identifies and will assume its role.

The computer was only necessary to configure the routing — but it did not need to be there at the gig. You could playback the sequence MIDI/Audio without it. Computer manufacturers, quite naturally, want to always keep that computer in the loop. So it might have been understandable (their lack of enthusiasm) - anyway, now any high end audio system is anchored to the computer.

You will need to be one of those computer geeks (used respectfully) who gets joy out of keeping an antique running long beyond its time. If that’s you, go for it. While everything is 64-bit now, virtually nothing was back then.

Posted : 14/04/2021 2:39 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us