Notifications
Clear all

2.5 Update did not erase User files.

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I just did my first firmware update on the MODX8, to 2.5.
I confirmed the update.

All of my User Performances and Live sets are intact!
I'm not complaining, was just expecting everything to be blown away.

The first thing I did was confirm the pitch bend and it's true! Much better resolution.

Posted : 02/06/2020 4:19 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Note that how the instrument decides what it does and does not do relies on specifics that are more complex than any one setup. Others upgrading from an older firmware may not be as "lucky". Also, there may be other factors that would cause memory to be erased. So I personally would never rely on others' reports that "I'm safe" and assuming data is going to be erased in spite of feedback otherwise.

It's a good excuse to backup data outside of the fear factor of data loss.

Posted : 02/06/2020 6:30 pm
 PJ

A wise word, brother!

Posted : 02/06/2020 8:14 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I definitely had everything backed up. I was just pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to go through the extra step.

Greatest synth I've ever owned.

Posted : 03/06/2020 2:35 pm
Eminent Member

The instructions say, after installing the update, to initialize data and then reload from a backup.

I did this, even though my data didn't disappear, since the instructions say so, plus it may make things more stable down the road...maybe some data structures changed internally, and reloading a backup updates these structures around your existing data? Not sure... but it doesn't hurt to do it.

Posted : 03/06/2020 6:44 pm
 John
Estimable Member

I didn't notice the intructions to intialize data to be honest. Is this something that I should be doing?

A word about backups as well, I would always recommend copying your backups from the USB stick onto a computer and if possible making a 2nd backup of it on another device. I would not want to rely soley on a USB stick for all my backups 🙂

Posted : 04/06/2020 5:05 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Wow. I didn't even notice that last step in the instructions.

Posted : 04/06/2020 8:08 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us