Advice on menage performance

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Max
Topic starter

Hi everyone,
I need a big help from you!

I work on cruise ship and this contract is 100 days no stop.
Yesterday one of my keyboard death, from the ship arrived strange electric current, the mother board is burnt.

You, keyboard players, can imagine what does it mean to loose all sounds,.all sounds programming in a moment. The keyboard was too old to be repaired (other guys in the band don't understand...)

I own a motif xf, so I decided to buy modx. This night first gig, and, of course, was "just a little ".problematic.

the main problem is: how to menage sounds?

We don't use set list, the band leader says the next song while I'm playing.

Can someone give me some advice about what to do? we have 300 songs in our set list, and the modx has to menage at least 100 sounds. How can I search and find them "in a moment? "

I'm going crazy, and tomorrow, as usual, I have a gig.

Please, can someone help me?
Many thanks.

Max

Posted : 24/10/2019 11:26 pm
Bad Mister

All 1300+ Motif XF Voices are in your MODX.

From the HOME screen press [CATEGORY]
Set the “Bank” = Preset
Set “Attribute” = Single
You can then search the Main and Sub Categories to find your most familiar Motif XF sounds.

If you remember them by name, type in what you remember in the box with the magnifying glass.
When you find one you use tap “Set” to mark it as a Favorite.

You can mark as Favorite all those you use... they will be marked with a star.
You can quickly find your Favorites as a separate searchable Bank.

When you need to find a sound quickly
Press [CATEGORY] twice to select your Favorite Bank
Then quickly find what need with “Main” and “Sub”

As in Main = Brass Sub = Ensemble

So when looking for horns you double click [CATEGORY] > touch “Brass” > touch “Ensemble” > the screen populates with just your favorite brass ensembles.

Extra Credit:
If you have your Motif XF ALL Data files (.X3A) you can have the MODX translate the data....
The MODX can extract User Voices, Waveforms and Arpeggio data from that file and load it to memory.
You can reconstruct much of your data.

Posted : 24/10/2019 11:58 pm
 Max
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,
Many thanks for your fast reply.
The broken keyboard isn't the motif, he is still alive (thanks God). And I have a backup of all sounds. It's, or better ,it was a different firm.

I'm just a little in panic about the time that I need to press main, sub, and search my favourite sound for the next song while I'm playing the previous song...
tomorrow I'll do some experiments (I'm in Sweden now and the place where I play is closed, I haven't modx with me ) , so it could be a solution if I name performances with the name of the song, I could find the song very quickly, right?
sorry, I generally study a lot before answering, but I'm in a very particular situation...

Thanks again

Posted : 25/10/2019 12:51 am
Bad Mister

You have several ways to put the sounds you use in front of you. If you never know what is coming up next, you live in a nightmare. Until you reach your own comfort zone with navigation.

You should be used to the panic... create your own Live Set with you most used sound a tap away.

Performance Basics and the LIVE SET

Posted : 25/10/2019 5:28 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

What was working before with your non-MODX keyboards with respect to recalling the right sounds?

Posted : 25/10/2019 11:08 pm
 Max
Topic starter

@bad mister

Hi Bad Mister, thanks for the fast reply and sorry for my late answer, on board I haven't a good line.
I started to study your precious tutorials, it takes some time, and having gig every night I'm not in a good situation, but I'll find my comfort zone. I want that my nightmare will become my dream as soon as possible.
Thanks again.

Max

@jason

Hi, thanks for your interest.
You know, after SY99, ES7 and XF7, with montage and modx Yamaha changed the "global idea " about how to search sounds. And my situation is the worst. To switch on a keyboard for the first time on stage and start to play, is amazing. I have just to find my way.
Thanks again.

Max

Posted : 28/10/2019 5:15 pm
Bad Mister

Mastering MODX: Using Category Search

Posted : 28/10/2019 6:04 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Hi, thanks for your interest.
You know, after SY99, ES7 and XF7, with montage and modx Yamaha changed the "global idea " about how to search sounds. And my situation is the worst. To switch on a keyboard for the first time on stage and start to play, is amazing. I have just to find my way.
Thanks again.

I was wondering what specifically you did on those older keyboards that would be acceptable for your current gig.

I've owned EX5, ES7 era MO6, XS series S90XS, XF7, and the MODX era Montage. So I have lots of overlap in knowing what was available with your past keyboards and how things have changed.

Posted : 28/10/2019 7:40 pm
 Max
Topic starter

Hi Jason,
I wanted just to say that I was used to search sounds with, for example, VOICE USR1 A1, PERFORMANCE USR1 A1 and so on. With MODX there is a different point of view .
Thanks for reply.

Max

Posted : 31/10/2019 2:34 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us