Notifications
Clear all

Arpeggiator Speed

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Paul
Topic starter

I'm trying to adjust the speed (tempo) of an existing arp on the MODX. Actually what I'm really trying to do is re-create the random arpeggio sound for Hungry Like the Wolf but it's been difficult for me. Any tips would be appreciated. thanks.

Posted : 19/04/2022 12:38 am
 Paul
Topic starter

It's really #3 that I'd like help with. I have a basic a knowledge of how to create an arp on the MODX. Any help would be appreciated with replicating that particular sound and pattern... Thanks again.

Posted : 19/04/2022 4:40 am
Antony
Estimable Member

#1 - Understand noone here is going to do it for you.

#2 - It isn't random timing. It is in Tempo. We can show how to change the Tempo of an ARP relative to the BPM (Click).

#3 - It isn't random notes. There is a pattern, that was likely played intentionally.

The first thing I recommend you do is scour YouTube and the Web to see if anyone has:-

a) Identified the original synth, and the ARP that was used.

b) Transcribed the actual notes/chords that were played into the ARP.

c) Transcribed all the notes, including the ones produced by the ARP.

b) and c) are required if you wish to create your own ARP.

Or, you can slow down the recording and transcribe it yourself.

To alter the Tempo of an ARP relative to the Performance BPM, you need to change the UNIT value:-

Edit - Part - Common - Arpeggio - Common -> Unit

You are probably looking at Unit = 50%.

Make sure Tempo is set correctly (about 128 BPM?).

Posted : 19/04/2022 1:41 pm
Antony
Estimable Member
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm trying to adjust the speed (tempo) of an existing arp on the MODX.

Arpeggios do not store a tempo. If you use one arpeggio and switch to another the tempo doesn't change. The tempo will be set according to the current tempo setting that can be set with a shortcut at the top of the screen. To the left there's a quarter note and just to the right is a number representing beats per minute. It's the 3rd icon from the right on the top line. Touching this will bring you to the tempo setting screen.

Alternatively, you can also press the [UTILITY] button then choose the left-most menu tab "Tempo Settings". In the upper-left there's a "Tempo" parameter you can change and then [STORE] your User Performance which will change the reference tempo for this Performance.

If you want to dynamically change the tempo - meaning change the tempo over time to different values - then this would be more involved and slightly more limiting (unit multiply or using tempo tap). I don't know if this is what you want to do so I'll just leave it there. I think given the tune you just need to "dial in" the right tempo which would be best done getting the fundamental tempo set.

Actually what I'm really trying to do is re-create the random arpeggio sound for Hungry Like the Wolf but it's been difficult for me. Any tips would be appreciated. thanks.

There's a lot of breakdowns of this arp online in forums, youtube, etc. Even Motifator has some threads where the arpeggio is related to Yamaha arps still available in MODX. You can probably get close enough with a factory preset ARP.

Remember you also have LFOs and Motion Sequence that can offset the pitch in sync with tempo if you want to use those to set the octave of the note. Motion Sequence would be easiest to randomize octave since a user curve could generate each octave step and you could set the higher octaves to be slightly flat like the JP is reported to behave. Pitch stretch is limited - so keep in mind you could start at a higher octave and go in both directions (lowering pitch and raising) to cover the octave spread without running out of stretch room required for this approach.

Posted : 20/04/2022 4:30 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us