Clear all

Assignable controllers no longer transmit much data

22 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Rebecca Turner
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Using my MODX as a MIDI controller of VST plugins through Cubase I've had no trouble assigning the four continuous controllers.

Until today:

- Quick Setup 'MIDI Rec on DAW' with Local Control On

- Cubase registers MIDI signals coming in from the MODX.

- MODX keyboard plays whatever I assign as an output on that track

Problem: When I assign a control in a plugin using MIDI Learn, fully turning the assigned knob on the MODX results in only a minimal effect: the plugin's control moves a little then jumps back when I stop. MIDI-OX utility shows correct controller but only a tiny range of data being sent even when the knob is turned min to max and back again. I would upload a screenshot but, as ever, this forum reports an error (The file MIDI-OX.JPG, which you are attempting to upload is in an unsupported format.).

Any ideas what I've set incorrectly on the MODX?

Posted : 22/02/2023 1:45 pm
Bad Mister

Any ideas what I've set incorrectly on the MODX?

The data that is output by the MONTAGE/MODX/MODX+ front panel is designed exclusively for the MONTAGE/MODX/MODX+ to use__ meaning that the entire front panel all the Knobs, Sliders, Switches and Controllers are being output via MIDI for the expressed purpose of documenting their movement into a DAW (like Cubase). When captured and played back to the MONTAGE/MODX/MODX+ they will work to recreate everything that you did with them.

They are NOT, repeat NOT, designed to be used to control your VSTi softsynth plug-ins running inside of your DAW (Cubase).

What you want to do is retask the entire front panel (all Knobs, Sliders, Switches, and Controllers) so that they are used exclusively to control the VSTi plug-ins you are running in the DAW. You do so by entering the REMOTE mode - designed specifically for what you are attempting to do.

You must setup Cubase so that you can use the MONTAGE/MODX/MODX+ as a REMOTE DEVICE (Remote Control Surface Device).

This is accomplished via USB connection to your computer... using the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and your instrument's Port #2 (used exclusively for REMOTE).

In your version of Cubase __ Go to STUDIO> STUDIO SETUP > REMOTE DEVICES > Press the "+" to ADD a setup for "Mackie Control" using the synth's Port 2 for MIDI IN and MIDI OUT (Please see the Reference Manual pdf for your model _ the section for "DAW REMOTE Function" or Blake shows you in the video linked below...

On the front panel of the MONTAGE/MODX/MODX+ on the HOME screen, tap the REMOTE button (lower left corner)
This will retask the entire front panel to be a Remote Control device for your DAW (Cubase)... you can make your various assignments from this area. It becomes a complete Control Surface for use with DAWs -- make sure you select Cubase as our DAW type. Not only Transport controls, but Plug-in parameters, Tracks controls, etc., etc.

See the following video (German and English versions) here: https://www.yamahasynth.com/learn/events/tech-talk-live-july-14-modx-daw-remote

This video will take you through the details of getting setup and what to expect from this coolest of features (added to the MODX in version 2.5)

Do not use the instrument's normal front panel to control VSTi plug-ins without using the REMOTE function - You will find that it works like it was designed to control VSTi Plug-ins. And you can customize it for use with your particular VSTi. The possible reason your Knobs are not giving you full response (0-127) is because they are probably programmed to have that very limited amount of change concerning the internal tone generator Part. Again, it is not for use with external devices - always use the REMOTE function to control your external Plug-ins.

BTW-- There are eight assignable control Knobs - the video covers how to change them from 1-4 and 5-8.

Posted : 22/02/2023 4:22 pm
Rebecca Turner
Eminent Member
Topic starter

But if I set up my MODX as a purely remote control surface, how do I also use it to play its internal sounds? I was happy with the system as it was (and it's working fine today, no idea why), as I need only one or two remote control knobs for plugins.

Posted : 23/02/2023 10:22 am
Bad Mister

[quotePost id=120438]But if I set up my MODX as a purely remote control surface, how do I also use it to play its internal sounds? I was happy with the system as it was (and it's working fine today, no idea why), as I need only one or two remote control knobs for plugins.[/quotePost]Please take the time to check it out. REMOTE mode, not only lets you play your VSTi, but it allows you to communicate with the internal synth as well!!! what you are asking for is not so unusual and was thought about and implemented in the REMOTE function:

You can quickly and easily switch between controlling your VSTi and playing your internal synth _ the "TRANSPORT" function in the REMOTE area will allow you instantly communicate with your internal synth to play it and/or record it to your DAW (Cubase) - returning the Knobs, Sliders, Switches, etc, to MODX control.
__ Return to "PLUGIN" by touching that option... allowing you to easily moving between controlling the VSTi soft-synth and your MODX hardware synth> You also have a "LOCAL" ON/OFF button, conveniently located so you don't even have to THRU the data via a MODX routed Cubase Track if all you wish to do is have the MODX sound.

It matters not if you only need one or two remote control knobs for your plugins or if you require the full compliment of Knobs, Sliders, Switches, etc., __ it still is the proper way to setup to do what you are asking to do. Give it a try (at least).
Yes, a hammer will open a locked window, but learning how to operate the little latch that unlocks it, is just simply a more elegant way to accomplish the goal.

See also the video by Joel (Moessieurs Mondays): https://www.yamahasynth.com/learn/news/moessieurs-mondays-new-in-montage-os
He takes you through each REMOTE button, and the functions so you can see how you can make it work for you. Although this video is titled for the MONTAGE the REMOTE functions are similar and it will work for your MODX, as well.

Posted : 23/02/2023 12:21 pm
Rebecca Turner
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Okay. I'll explore this and, I hope, report back with thanks to you for leading me into this. Or blame... 🙂

Posted : 23/02/2023 12:45 pm
Rebecca Turner
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Dear me, no. After watching the two videos and reading the MPG article, it's not at all what I need. It's like using a 747 to cross a road. I don't want to control my DAW, I just need to turn one or two knobs in plugins, which I can automate in Cubase anyway. Remote mode is just too complex to use for that simple role in my little home setup. Thanks for showing me what is possible. I might come back to it in the future if my needs increase.

But you might answer one query from my brief exploration: in Remote plugin mode, the Assign button next to the four control knobs goes out. How would I select controls 5-8?

Posted : 23/02/2023 2:56 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

DAW control is one of the modes but VST/plugin control is another. Joel probably walks you through the entire system (as is typical with his comprehensive feature guides) -- you only need to use a portion of the full capabilities.

FYI: if you wanted to upload screenshots the issue is that the forum only accepts lowercase jpg png gif etc (Supported: gif,jpg,png,zip,rar). Not JPG PNG GIF, etc. I noticed your filename had uppercase. Yes, it'd be better to be case insensitive - but that's not the way it is.

BTW: for your MIDI REC ON DAW attempts using Cubase - try turning off MIDI send on the MIDI track(s). The DAW's MIDI receive should be MODX but the MIDI send from the DAW should be turned off as an experiment to see if you're having issues.

Posted : 23/02/2023 4:14 pm
Rebecca Turner
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I see about the filename, you are right. But I'm not convinced by the Remote Plugins mode, as it's just too inflexible and awkward for my simple uses. I'd still like to know how, in that mode, to select knobs 5-8 because the Assign button doesn't seem to work. Also, which MIDI channel should I select when setting it up?

Posted : 23/02/2023 4:22 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You would select the MIDI channel that matches your VSTi.

In terms of knobs 5-8, I don't have a MODX to experiment with.

However, this video can provide a clue:

https://youtu.be/xv5AWpYjIlY?t=1099

Blake touches the "1-4/5-8" buttons located to the left of the sliders and to the left of the scene buttons. Then he shows that the knobs are showing different functions. I think this is how you access knobs 5-8 and if I were to guess it would be the slider "1-4/5-8" button that switches the knobs along with the sliders.

For plugin mode in the above video: https://youtu.be/xv5AWpYjIlY?t=1136
There's not a lot covered for plugin mode.

Posted : 23/02/2023 4:53 pm
Prominent Member

FYI re the REMOTE functionality Bad Mister mentions.

1. It was added to MODX in release 2.50 - make sure you are using that version or later

2. For MODX it is documented in the Supplementary Manual - it is NOT in the reference doc

3. For MODX+ it is documented in the Reference Manual

All of those manuals are available on Yamaha's site
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/contents/music_production/downloads/manuals/index.html?k=&c=music_production&l=en

Posted : 23/02/2023 5:03 pm
Rebecca Turner
Eminent Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=120447]You would select the MIDI channel that matches your VSTi.[/quotePost]Cubase doesn't assign MIDI channels to VST plugins.

[quotePost id=120447]In terms of knobs 5-8, I don't have a MODX to experiment with.

However, this video can provide a clue:

https://youtu.be/xv5AWpYjIlY?t=1099

Blake touches the "1-4/5-8" buttons located to the left of the sliders and to the left of the scene buttons. Then he shows that the knobs are showing different functions. I think this is how you access knobs 5-8 and if I were to guess it would be the slider "1-4/5-8" button that switches the knobs along with the sliders.[/quotePost]Yes, I saw that bit - in fact it was that part which prompted me to ask the question, as Blake does not go on to select 5-8 in the assignable knobs. The lamps to the left of the assignable faders and buttons are still lit in Remote Plugins mode - but not the Assign button (which is also a lamp). So I'm still in the dark (pun intended).

Posted : 23/02/2023 5:10 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

As I mentioned he uses the slider and scene select (1-4/5-8) buttons which seem to be how knob banks are selected.

Try those.

Before he switches these he mentions knob 1 is a filter (cutoff or resonance) and then after toggling the slider/scene buttons he mentions Knob1 is waveform select.

Posted : 23/02/2023 5:15 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The MIDI channel is setup in Cubase. There's more than one way. Some discussed here:

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/vst-instruments-midi-channels-and-external-controllers/649370

Posted : 23/02/2023 5:24 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Normally [ASSIGN] switches the knobs between 1-4 and 5-8 where the button will flash (or not) depending on the bank selected. Using the remote feature Blake didn't use the [ASSIGN] button and still the function of Knob 1 changed so I think this is another odd exception case to learn about where the interface isn't consistent depending on which "mode" you're in.

As mentioned - no MODX here so I can't really test this out on my own gear as I typically would.

Posted : 23/02/2023 5:51 pm
Rebecca Turner
Eminent Member
Topic starter

It seems that there is a bug in the OS2.5 update which prevents the Assign button from functioning in Remote mode, whether in Track or Plugin sub-mode. That means there are only the four physical knobs available. The Supplementary manual barely covers Plugin sub-mode. Perhaps Yamaha might address this bug.

I'm even happier now to stick with using the MODX out of Remote mode to control plugins. It works for me.

Posted : 24/02/2023 10:39 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us