Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Assignable controllers no longer transmit much data

22 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Bad Mister

[quotePost id=120466]It seems that there is a bug in the OS2.5 update which prevents the Assign button from functioning in Remote mode, whether in Track or Plugin sub-mode. That means there are only the four physical knobs available. The Supplementary manual barely covers Plugin sub-mode. Perhaps Yamaha might address this bug.

I'm even happier now to stick with using the MODX out of Remote mode to control plugins. It works for me.[/quotePost]"Every word you just said is not true." -- Luke Skywalker, "The Last Jedi" There is no bug... Here's how it works:

The [ASSIGN] button that toggles between Knobs 1-4 and 5-8 by pressing the button while lit... (1-4 the button lights solid, press again and select 5-8, the [ASSIGN] button will flash indicating that these are the functions currently active for the Knobs) __ This is a function of the normal front panel and for normal operation of the MODX/MODX+

When you enter REMOTE (DAW) this is where the entire front panel is retasked with specific functions concerning work with an external DAW (plugins, track, etc) computer...

When in the REMOTE TRACK or REMOTE PLUGIN area, you flip the Knobs 1-4, and then 5-8 using the left front panel button labeled "1-4/5-8" located to the left of the Sliders directly below the [PART__ELEMENT/OPERATOR] button (circled in yellow below):

When 1-4 is selected the screen will indicate the first four Knobs and Sliders are active:

When the button is engaged for 5-8, the screen will indicate the Knobs and Sliders are now active for 5-8:

Again, assuming that the normal front panel is designed for anything other than the internal MODX/MODX+ engine is a mistake, as I pointed out in my initial response. When you enter the REMOTE, however, the role of the Knobs, Sliders, Switches, etc., are changed. They can have an entirely different function from what goes on internally _ which may not have anything to do with what is setup internally.

Examples:
__ The Assign Knob 1 when communicating with an internal MODX/MODX+ Performance is sending System Exclusive messages that are meaningful to the MODX/MODX+. Captured and played back to the MODX/MODX+ will cause them to recreate exactly what they are assigned to control.
__ The Assign Knob 1 when communicating with an internal MODX/MODX+ Part is sending CC17 (default) on the MIDI Channel of the *selected* Part, 1-16.
__ That same Assign Knob 1 when in "Remote" can independently send whatever CC# you require to work your PLUGIN _ that data will be output on MIDI Port 2 and will address the target Plugin.

When you are using the SLIDERS as Faders for your Cubase Tracks... you have a set of buttons to move down: [< TRACK] and

... since if you NAME your Tracks in the DAW (Cubase), those Track Names will appear in your MODX/MODX+ screen. You can have an unlimited number of Tracks (depends on your version of Cubase).

When you are in REMOTE and you tap TRANSPORT, your Knobs, Sliders, Switches etc. return to controlling the internal MODX/MODX+ Tone Generator, as normal.... the screen will indicate whether the Assign Knobs are Performance COMMON, or are functioning for a specific internal *selected* PART.
__ Use the right front panel: [PART SELECT__MUTE/SOLO] button to launch the screen select overlay... you can switch to access any Part in your current internal Performance (without completely having exit the REMOTE layer).

3 REMOTE Functions:
TRACK _ for controlling your DAW Track functions
PLUGIN _ for controlling your DAW-based VSTi's
TRANSPORT _ for instantly communicating with the MODX/MODX+ internal functions

The difference in how these Assignment function is what we refer to as context sensitivity. The internal functions are designed for use with the MODX/MODX+'s internal engine, while the REMOTE functions are completely independent and travel on their own discreet Port (Port 2) and can be setup specifically for your use externally.

Hope that helps. No bug.

Posted : 24/02/2023 4:08 pm
Prominent Member

Those attachments will not display for me.

Posted : 24/02/2023 6:01 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Blake touches the "1-4/5-8" buttons located to the left of the sliders and to the left of the scene buttons. Then he shows that the knobs are showing different functions. I think this is how you access knobs 5-8 and if I were to guess it would be the slider "1-4/5-8" button that switches the knobs along with the sliders.

... confirmed.

Posted : 24/02/2023 6:01 pm
Prominent Member

I'm even happier now to stick with using the MODX out of Remote mode to control plugins. It works for me.

Use whatever works for you.

But please take it as a GENTLE reminder that just pushing buttons and hoping for the best will only take you so far. For the more complex functionality (e.g. REMOTE) make sure you read the doc.

The REMOTE functionality, and its 3 modes, is explained in the Supplementary doc whose link I gave you. Unfortunately, the operational changes Bad Mister mentioned (e.g. the ASSIGN button) aren't explained very well and I don't think are intuitive.

Perhaps BM's explanation in his reply above can be added to future doc versions.

The doc DOES address your question about how to play along:

MODX Supplementary Manual 20
Plugin: Mode for detailed control of a specific plug-in in DAW software.
Transport: This mode is for performing on the MODX while playing back DAW software, and recording your keyboard performance on the MODX to DAW software.

Using the Transport panel controls, you can control playback, stop, etc. on the DAW software. Operations other than the Transport panel controls will be the same as normal.

Use whatever works for you. Meanwhile keep plugging along trying, and trying to understand, the newer technology.

Posted : 24/02/2023 6:45 pm
Rebecca Turner
Eminent Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=120467][

When in the REMOTE TRACK or REMOTE PLUGIN area, you flip the Knobs 1-4, and then 5-8 using the left front panel button labeled 1-4/5-8 located to the left of the Sliders directly below the [PART__ELEMENT/OPERATOR] button (circled in yellow below):

When 1-4 is selected the screen will indicate the first four Knobs and Sliders are active:

When the button is engaged for 5-8, the screen will indicate the Knobs and Sliders are now active for 5-8:

Again, assuming that the normal front panel is designed for anything other than the internal MODX/MODX+ engine is a mistake, as I pointed out in my initial response. When you enter the REMOTE, however, the role of the Knobs, Sliders, Switches, etc., are changed. They can have an entirely different function from what goes on internally _ which may not have anything to do with what is setup internally.

The difference in how these Assignment function is what we refer to as context sensitivity. The internal functions are designed for use with the MODX/MODX+'s internal engine, while the REMOTE functions are completely independent and travel on their own discreet Port (Port 2) and can be setup specifically for your use externally.

Hope that helps. No bug.
[/quotePost]You're right - I tried pressing the two lower buttons and they did change the assignable knobs to 5-8. Strange that the supplementary manual doesn't mention this change in function. Still, I see that as inconsistency, not context sensitivity. Why not keep the Assign button active in Remote mode?

Posted : 25/02/2023 10:47 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

It would have been more inconsistent for any given feature to NOT have a screwy exception that's counter intuitive.

I'm hoping this tradition can be rethought in the future.

Posted : 25/02/2023 8:08 pm
Prominent Member

Why not keep the Assign button active in Remote mode?

The Assign button is active when it is lit.

It is only lit when you are allowed to make assignments.

You are only allowed to make assignments when you are using/controlling the local keyboard.

So it IS active and lit in Remote when you are in Transport Mode. In that mode you are using/controlling the local keyboard and are allowed to make assignments.

It is NOT active in Remote if you are in Track or Plugin mode because you are NOT using/controlling the local keyboard so are NOT allowed to make assignments - the panel is ONLY controlling the remote device.

I agree it isn't documented properly but there is a reason for it.

Posted : 25/02/2023 8:19 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us