Notifications
Clear all

At my wit's end

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I have two MODX7's both have the same periodic problem. Every once in awhile - I get two keys (say the E and c#) and it's for those keys in every octave. What happens if you merely brush the key or if you strike it normally - it will sound full volume. I play about 150 gigs a year so this is annoying. I have taken it in for service numerous times. We have been resetting it to factory and then reinstalling the settings - usually worked but this weekend it happened again, right in the middle of a gig. I tried to re-set it between sets but it didn't take this time. As previously mentioned, I have two of these and it happens to both of them. Also as previously mentioned - when it happens, it's always 2 keys. I love the weight and utility of these units but I am probably going to have to go some other route unless I can find a permanent solution. Any ideas?

Posted : 26/04/2021 5:14 pm
Blake Angelos
Member Admin

Hello, and sorry you are having this issue. TBH this is a new one: I've never heard of this happening. If you could will you send an email to synthesizers@yamaha.com with some more details? I'd also like the serial numbers of these two instruments.

Some of the questions I have are:

• Are you loading the same file into both MODX7s?
  • Does this happen with ALL Performances or always the same one?
  • When it happens, is it on Multi Part Performances, Single Part Performances or both?
  • What OS version are you MODXs running? The current one is OS v2.52.
  • To clarify, you say "I get two keys (say the E and c#) and it's for those keys in every octave." Are the keys it's happening two different each time then? Or is it always the same 2 keys?
  • How do you have your MODX configured in Utility/Settings/Advanced "MIDI I/O Mode"? Is it set to Multi, Single or Hybrid?
  • What about velocity curve? Under Settings/Sound...Do you ever change that? Does it only happen with one velocity curve or have you tried setting it to a different one?
  • Do you have any libraries loaded, like Chick's Mark V, or Bosendorfer, etc.?
  • Do you have any user waveforms loaded?
  • Is your MODX connected to anything? Are you connected via MIDI to another tone module, or are you connected to a computer and running virtual instruments at all?

My feeling is that there is something corrupted with a file that was loaded, but that is just a guess. With the identical problem happening on two instruments used by the same person and never hearing about this problem before occurring in the same way leads me to believe this is an isolated incident.

I realize that doesn't necessarily help you! However, if we can determine that you have a corrupted file some odd combination of settings that when taken together might create a situation like this we can be that much closer to solving this issue.

One thing I would try is this...kind of a start from scratch approach:

Factory reset.
Download the latest OS (OS v2.51) located here: https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/modx_os_updater.html
Update you MODX.
DON'T reinstall a previous file: Recreate a new one from scratch.

I know that could potentially be a lot of work, but if it may very well clear up the issue.

Posted : 26/04/2021 9:27 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Normal triage would also say disconnect all cables except power when testing to isolate each keyboard from the external environment. This may already be your normal use (and therefore a redundant request).

Posted : 27/04/2021 7:23 pm
Bad Mister

But most of all — update your firmware!

Posted : 29/04/2021 3:49 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us