Notifications
Clear all

Bad Mister and others, please help with selecting midi channel(s) on modx

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Greetings All (Esepcially Bad Mister)

I am trying to trigger my Yamaha electronic drum kit wth my modx. Bad Mister helped me with this when I had a Montage. I'm trying to find a way to set my Yamaha modx drum kits to midi channel 10 and I'm stuck. I am aware there are in depth ways to set each channel, but I want to get rolling on this then consider going deeper.

I've previously been able to set up and trigger Montage, MoX6, Motif ES, Elektron Rytm, Roland Sampler, Korg Electribe II. 99.9% sure my Yamaha electronic kit is set up corretly, just need to figure how to set the modx midi to channel 10.

Help Enormously Appreciated!!!

Posted : 20/04/2020 1:13 pm
Topic starter

Greetings Bad Mister!!

Honored to hear from you! Sorry for the poor verbage. I want to do exactly what I did with the Montage and Electronic Kit, play modx drums with my electronic kit (Yamaha DT Xpress II).

While I'm at it, I tried for the first time to connect my iPad to my modx via usb to play the Moog app on my modx, no luck...

Thanks!!

Posted : 20/04/2020 2:37 pm
Bad Mister

It should be exactly the same as setting up to control the MONTAGE.

MIDI OUT of the Drum Kit to MIDI IN on the MODX.
Set the MODX to receive MIDI (a small 5-pin MIDI icon appears on the very top line.

[UTILITY] > “Settings“ > “MIDI I/O“ > set “MIDI I/O“ = MIDI (green)

Do you want to also play the MODX?

Here are your options:

[UTILITY] > "Settings" > "Advanced" > Set the “MIDI I/O Mode“ to determine what happens
MULTI - place the sound you want to trigger with the Electronic Kit in PART 10.

SINGLE - Set the MIDI CH = 10 _this will make the entire MODX receive and transmit on Channel 10 - this will allow you to replace the MODX keyboard with your Drum Kit as controller... it will trigger all KBD CTRL Parts.

HYBRID - Set the MIDI CH = 10 _this will allow you to play the MODX sounds from Electronic Kit from incoming MIDI just like ‘SINGLE’ ... yet use all non-KBD CTRL linked PARTS, normally. The non linked Parts will Receive and Transmit on their correspondingly numbered MIDI Channel. In other words, anything linked will be played by the external controller on channel 10, and the others are free to be played by someone sitting at the MODX (all but 10)

Posted : 20/04/2020 3:16 pm
Bad Mister

While I'm at it, I tried for the first time to connect my iPad to my modx via usb to play the Moog app on my modx, no luck...

Sorry, just saw the second part of your question. You need to set the [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “MIDI I/O = USB“ (green)
Connect your iPad to the MODX with a standard USB cable plus a LUCA (Lightning-to USB-Camera-Adapter).

It works great!!! ... please see the following post for details on how to incorporate it into your MODX Performance:
Connecting the MiniMoog app as a SuperKnob controllable Part of your MODX Performance

Of course, you can just play it but the possibilities multiply when you take the extra step of Routing the audio through your MODX... It now becomes a modulation source within the MODX’s Motion Control Synthesis Engine!

Posted : 22/04/2020 4:27 pm
Topic starter

Hey Bad Mister,

A million thanks. Sorry if my questions are on the naive side. I have the odd combination of being learning disordered and gifted. Thus, I tend to catch on real slow, like real slow, but when I do, I tend to do pretty good.

Your help is a tremendous source of encouragement for me to move forward when I'm stuck, really frustrated and discouraged.

Bless You Brother!

Geoffrey

Posted : 23/04/2020 3:19 pm
Topic starter

Hey Bad Mister,

After I followed your directions everything worked! The key was selecting Single instead of Multi, then it offered the option to change to midi Channel 10.

Thanks Again!!

Posted : 30/04/2020 5:12 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us