Notifications
Clear all

Can I? If so, How do I? ROUTING!

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Please can anybody help once and for all? ( I shall try to cover all bases)

Firstly, excuse my lengthy query as it is in 3 parts and maybe a Studio One query rather than Yamaha.

Essentially, all I want to do is play and record sounds from my MODX in midi my preferred method, whilst also using it to play the VST's and get both to sound from the monitors...

1. Can I use my MODX as a controller (as well as a standalone sound source) to play VST’s in Kontakt. If so, how to a achieve this?

2. Should I only use USB from MODX to Mac if I want to say...Play exclusively, sounds from the MODX? Taking advantage of the 8 or 10 outs and 4 returns.

3. Or should I stick with the Audiobox? At least Studio one picks this up whereas it doesn’t with the MODX. Well it does but, then drops it! Very frustrating.

I have recently moved from using Windows, Sonar, (this was a DAW I used from year dot and was familiar with)

Presonus Audiobox (2) channel audio interface and an Oxygen 88 controller keyboard to play and control library plugins.

All of this worked fine but on a slow PC.

A huge and still continuous learning curve later, my little studio now consists of:

A MODX 8;

A refurbished iMac, mid 2011, 3.4ghz processor, recently upgraded to 16GB of ram;

OSX 10. something....High Sierra (don't know how relevant this might be)

Studio One 4.5 Pro; (I have already installed the required Steinberg software for the MODX)

A pair of near field monitors and an Acorn 25 midi controller that came bundled with the Presonus Audiobox (2 channel) audio interface I bought years ago
That's it!

However, my workflow has ground to a halt.

When I first set-up, I connected 2 balanced audio cables from the L&R outs on the MODXTo the front panel L&R ins on the Audiobox.

Then from the Audiobox rear outs to L&R ins on the monitors.
(this seemed to produce nasty audible signal noise from the monitors)

This also applies to when using the USB from the MODX to the Mac (although less audible)

Why?

I then left a message on the forum and was assured that using the USB from the MODX direct to the Mac removing the Audiobox all together, was more advantageous because I get 8 or 10 outs and 4 returns.

( I think I grasp this concept of the outs )
e.g. To send a drum kit from the MODX to multiple channels to my DAW.

(explanation fishing!!)

The 4 returns I'm not too sure about.?@????

When in Studio One I chose to reset my audio setup, loaded a new track and was able to play the MODX through the monitors no problem.

However, when creating a VST track and playing this with the MODX the sound came from the Mac speakers.

I have a feeling there is a issue with Studio One compatibility as I can't even find a channel strip or signal coming from the MODX when looking at the mixer.

Finally, yesterday I opened up Studio One to find that it has dropped the MODX and I can’t get it to play at all.

Help Please!!

Unfortunately my strengths are as a musician not a technician. Routing is a bit of a headache for me.:(

Posted : 31/07/2019 10:34 am
Bad Mister

1. Can I use my MODX as a controller (as well as a standalone sound source) to play VST’s in Kontakt. If so, how to a achieve this?

Well, of course. You can use any MIDI controller (including the MODX) as the device to play any VSTi in your DAW (including Studio One). With the MODX you can control as many as eight Zones. For example four Parts could be internal MODX sounds, the other four Parts of your MODX Performance could be External VSTi in your computer. And I mean simultaneously. Any combination that adds to 8. 7 MODX Parts + 1 VSTi... 6 MODX + 2 VSTi, etc... any combination that adds up to 8. Simultaneously.

The MODX is an Audio and MIDI Interface. This means you can use it to record the MODX Parts and any thing you plug into the A/D Input On the back panel. And any MIDI device you connect to it’s 5-pin MIDI jacks.

Any audio, including, all computer generated sounds, audio for videos, audio for games, audio sound effects, (all audio) can playback through your MODX. It is a 10-in/4-out Audio Interface for your computer — don’t let the fact that it also includes a cutting edge Synthesizer (most Audio Interfaces don’t do anything but process audio in and out of the computer).

The “how you do it” is a very basic Studio One question. Don’t put too much emphasis on the fact you have a MODX. The instruction will probably just refer to the keyboard that you use in a very generic fashion.

What you need to know is in order for your computer to translate and understand what the MODX is doing... you need to download an install the “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver”. This is referred to as the ASIO Driver (Audio Streaming Input Output).

MIDI communication is best handled using the MODX’s Zone Master Function. This allows you to control exactly what the MODX is transmitting. Remember, it can transmit Out on as many as 8 channels simultaneously. MIDI is basically matching the Transmit and Receive Channels. If you setup your VSTi to Receive MIDI on a specific Channel, you will be controlling it.

2. Should I only use USB from MODX to Mac if I want to say...Play exclusively, sounds from the MODX? Taking advantage of the 8 or 10 outs and 4 returns.

That’s only recommended if you want to use the best sounding, most flexible way to record your MODX to your Mac. Only you can answer this... if your only goal is to record and playback like recording yourself playing to a single stereo track ... setting up to use the MODX’s 10 Outputs maybe overkill. But if you’re goal is music production, overdubbing Tracks, being creative, etc., etc... you’ll use the MODX.

But that bit about using MODX sounds exclusively ??? Why put that (silly) limitation on yourself. Use whatever you want and everything you want. Only use the MODX alone where it is appropriate for your musical vision. You seem to have some kind of misguided idea, if you use the MODX as your device, you have to limit yourself to using just the MODX. Well, let’s make this as definitive as possible... That’s not the case at all.

The MODX is designed to work with other items... you get no extra points for using the MODX exclusively.
You will get pristine 24-bit Audio, however.

3. Or should I stick with the Audiobox? At least Studio one picks this up whereas it doesn’t with the MODX. Well it does but, then drops it! Very frustrating.

Take your time. Learn your gear. If you already own an Audiobox (?) and want to use it. Again, you may find that it is perfect for adding vocals — since it may provide +48V phantom power which will allow you to use condenser microphones.

The MODX can handle a dynamic microphone, but does not supply +48V necessary for some mics. You can record your backing tracks using a combination of MODX, and VSTi plug-in synths, then overdub your vocals through the Audiobox.

Think about it... when you hear commercial recordings - you’re listening to a combination of synths, live musicians, vocals, sound effects, all manner of things. The only time you’re going to hear a recording with exclusively the MODX is in a product demonstration. At Yamaha we build just about every musical instrument you can think of — and every last one of them is meant to be used WITH other instruments. “Exclusively” is a production decision that you make. Again, you get extra points thinking narrowly.

Suggestion: learn to use each of your tools. They all can come in handy. You’re on a Mac, you can setup what’s called an Aggregate Audio Device. This allows the Mac to Receive Audio from multiple Audio Interfaces simultaneously. This is tricky... and should only be attempted AFTER learning how to configure and work each tool SEPARATELY. Trust me, on this.

You’ll find that most gear gets along well, especially if you take your time and learn how each works. It usually lets you know when you configure something incorrectly — it does so by NOT WORKING!

When I first set-up, I connected 2 balanced audio cables from the L&R outs on the MODXTo the front panel L&R ins on the Audiobox

The MODX is unbalanced Out... just FYI. You gain nothing by using balanced cables, in fact, it’s incorrect in this instance. Please use standard (TS) unbalanced cables... keep the length 20 feet or less. If you need more than 20 feet get a stereo DI box (then you can run long balanced cables to cover the long distance).

Then from the Audiobox rear outs to L&R ins on the monitors.
(this seemed to produce nasty audible signal noise from the monitors)

Why? Most monitor speaks have a single input. I’m not familiar with monitors that have L&R ins (?) or is that just a typo? The you must know: the device selected as your ASIO Audio Device is the device that connects to the Monitor Speakers.

This also applies to when using the USB from the MODX to the Mac (although less audible)

Why?

It happens with both, that’s actually a good thing... because when you fix the error (and I’m pretty sure it’s a setup error), it will fix them both! Unfortunately your description of the noise (nasty audible signal) doesn’t give us any idea of what it could be... “ground” issue (sounds like a high pitch zinging noise, “crackling” and “intermittent dropouts” (quite a different cause) ... can you do a better job of describing the noise. (Replace those balanced cables with unbalanced cables).

I then left a message on the forum and was assured that using the USB from the MODX direct to the Mac removing the Audiobox all together, was more advantageous because I get 8 or 10 outs and 4 returns.

( I think I grasp this concept of the outs )
e.g. To send a drum kit from the MODX to multiple channels to my DAW.

(explanation fishing!!)

Again, if you are simply using Studio One as a stereo recorder, don’t bother with the 10 (not 8) 10 Audio bus Outputs on the MODX... until you’re ready for more detailed recording. I would not simply recommend it to everyone. It up to you. You lose no points for owning a piece of gear you can grow into. So... when you're ready for full on pro production, it’s there waiting for you.

The 10 Outputs are the MODX Main L&R, plus 8 assignable USB Outputs which can be configured as mono Outs or as odd/even stereo pairs.
You can route from a Drum Kit Part separate Audio Outs on the Kick, snare, hihats, etc.etc. Recording these individually would be done when you want to additionally process them with plugins in your DAW. What genre of music you do can come into play here.

The 4 audio returns from the computer are actually two stereo pairs. The first pair go directly to the MODX’s MAIN L&R (Analog Outputs)... this represent how the computer’s audio arrives at your Monitor Speakers. The second pair of audio returns from the computer arrive at the MODX’s internal Mixer... you can send audio from a VSTi soft synth, or from a vocal Track, or from whatever... into the MODX, where you can apply System Effects (Reverb/Variation) Master FX, etc.

However, when creating a VST track and playing this with the MODX the sound came from the Mac speakers.

That’s a simple routing issue. Once you learn you chosen DAW, you’ll discover it will stop dropping your setup. After you learn some of those basic setups, you’ll all of a sudden stop having these issues. If, as you say your a musician, not a technician (a poor excuse btw, but I understand, I hear that a lot)... setting up to run a synth and connect a couple of VSTi’s to playback through an external audio interface and even configuring an Aggregate Audio Device on a Mac... is Far Far Far easier than it was to learn to play. So no excuses. !

I know, you’re saying “easy for you to say...” when I was right out of college starting my musical career, my first encounter in a professional recording studio in nyc, I realized I knew nothing about the gear in there. I knew nothing about the language of the gear... basically, I couldn’t even intelligently complain. I decided if I was going to be a musician who played electronic gear... darn it, I’d better learn the language, learn the gear. Which is what I did...

If you were going to hire an electric guitar player for your band, and at the audition they said “I’m a guitarist, but I don’t know nothing about setting up my amp and effects,... hey I’m a musician, not a technician” ... well, they may be a great player, but they have some homework to do.

Contact someone who can help you with Studio One, (it looks very similar to Cubase, hmmm)... rely on the documentation that comes with it. It will talk in generic terms - so don’t expect them to mention MODX... remember, the MODX is a Controller when talking MIDI, It’s an audio interface when talking audio, it uses an ASIO Driver (Yamaha Steinberg USB Audio Driver) which shows up in the Mac as “MODX” when you go to the Audio Setup screen ... we’re here to help you with all settings concerning the MODX.

If I can tell you one thing that can help .. it is this: the most important thing in all of this is Signal Flow. Follow the signal from source to destination. When you do this, it ceases being just a bunch of random settings, that you’re making. You can follow it from beginning to end. When you can do that, troubleshooting becomes much, much easier.

Posted : 31/07/2019 12:15 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Kind regards.

And I consider myself put in my place after that browbeating. 😀

Posted : 31/07/2019 1:06 pm
Bad Mister

I was hoping to be encouraging!

Posted : 31/07/2019 2:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us