Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

can't configure a MIDI cable to play from my IPAD

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have my MODX 6 and need to control some synth apps on my IPAD 2 via a MIDI Ilink cable 30 pins connector(see picture). I can´t configure my synth to use as a MIDI and play the IPAD: Any clues or help on how to configurte my MODX to make it work?

Attached files

Posted : 30/01/2020 5:23 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Source: MODX Reference Manual

Connecting an iPhone or iPad
========================
NOTE In order to eliminate the risk of noise from other communication when using this instrument with an iPad or
iPhone app, be sure to turn on Airplane Mode and then turn on Wi-Fi.

NOTICE
Be sure to place your iPad or iPhone on a stable surface to prevent it from falling over and being damaged.
Apps compatible with the MODX provide many more convenient, enjoyable ways to use this musical
instrument.

For details on how to connect the devices, refer to the “iPhone/iPad Connection Manual,” which is
available from the Yamaha web site.

NOTE For audio signal transfer, refer to the connection using Lightning to USB Camera Adapter.
Details of compatible smart devices and apps can be found on the following page from the Yamaha web
site.

http://www.yamaha.com/kbdapps/

The above references the latest apple-proprietary interface standard (lightning) - but the "iPhone/iPad Connection Manual" also covers the older 30-pin connector.

The latest document I found was updated in 2019: https://download.yamaha.com/files/tcm%3A39-725646/

Generally, use of the apple USB Camera Adapter is recommended. Some users have used different solutions (more direct cables without a camera adapter). However, I believe success is limited to certain generations which would include hardware and software specifics unique to that generation's iPad. And even so - not all cables work even two different cables (from different manufacturers) that seem to be "the same".

Myself, I have purchased the recommended USB Camera adapter for my iPad and have had success.

... and I recognize I didn't directly answer your question of how to get that midiplus iLink device working. Mainly because I have neither your generation of iPad nor that cable. But I offer this information to demonstrate how your configuration is outside of the recommended connectivity options and therefore you may benefit from abandoning use of that cable and switch to recommended interfacing hardware. That is - if others do not provide helpful insight.

Posted : 30/01/2020 6:37 am
Bad Mister

Power On the MODX (in your attached photo it is inexplicably in the Off position)
Set the MIDI I/O = MIDI
Press [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > make sure MIDI is active (green)

If there is a problem with your connection you will receive a relevant error message. Let us know.
Make sure the OUT and IN are connected properly.

iPad 2 (30 pin connection) is ancient now — this does not mean it will not work, just that it may not work. Either way you should either find success or a message telling you why.

Posted : 30/01/2020 2:48 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us