Notifications
Clear all

Create a Library

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

I am trying to back up my user samples and performances into Library.

I can't seem to find a way to select only the performances I want to save in the new Library.

Is it possible to do it within Modx by itself?

Thanks

Attached files

Posted : 27/11/2022 8:50 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Yes - but there may be more steps than you would prefer.

When you create a Library file, all of your user bank content is saved as a Library file.

Option 1:
If there are Performances you don't want to save, delete those Performances. Then save a Library of the remainders you want to keep.

Option 2:
a) Create a Library file with all of your User data (even what you do not want in the final library)
b) Load the Library into a Library slot
c) Initialize your user area only. This will clear out all of your user data but keeps everything else intact (including the Library you just loaded)
d) Use "Library Import" to copy only those Performances from your original User Bank that you want to keep
e) Now your user bank has only the keepers (same as option 1 - but accomplished differently). You can create a Library file now and only the keepers will be in this second Library. The first Library will be a backup of even those Performances you didn't want to keep.

Posted : 27/11/2022 9:22 am
Topic starter

Thanks Jason.

I'll definitely give it a go early next year.

Posted : 27/11/2022 10:00 am
Member Admin

Please be wary!

Doing this breaks all the connections between your Pattern Sequences and their Performances.

So write all of them down, first.

And make sure to back up your patterns, as losing your creations will break your heart!

Posted : 27/11/2022 12:10 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with your plan.

If you want to save user samples in the User bank then creating a Library file is fine and takes less time than a full backup. What connections you may lose or not depends on your usage. For me, since I don't employ patterns, I'd "lose" the Live Set connections (Performances moved to a Library slot previously in the User Bank and indexed in Live Set would need to be revised to point to the new Library location). Live Set is easy to edit.

That said, full backups should be done periodically to ensure you don't lose anything.

The drawback of a full backup is that you can't pick and choose what to restore. Libraries are much more compartmentalized and play nicer with your existing content.

Posted : 27/11/2022 7:16 pm
Topic starter

Fortunately I don't use patterns.

Losing Live set connections is something I didn't think about.

Taking photos of all the Live set should help with restoring it.

I've loaded the following libraries
bosendorfer, cp1, mks ep1 ep2, c7 grand.

I delete the velocity layers I don't use so all those libraries only amount to 600MB. So I have about 400MB left.

I then tweak the performances. Create layers etc.

I now will have a problem of loading any libraries above 200MB as importing it require twice the space.

Solution would be to export all those libraries separately so it's easier to interchange.

Im open to to any alternate solutions.

Posted : 28/11/2022 10:43 am
Antony
Estimable Member

This is how I would do it.

1) Make a Backup.

2) Use the Utility - Contents - Data Utility - Performance - Select All

3) Go through the list and unselect those Performances you want to save as a Library. Take your time!!

4) Hit the Delete button.

5) Make a Library.

The Library you created will contain only those Performances, Waveforms, etc you wanted.

You can load the Library back into the MODX at your convenience in the future.

I usually do this as a matter of house keeping. I have Library Files such as Pink Floyd, Gary Numan, TalkTalk, BronskiBeat, MassiveAttack etc...

They're like my "greatest hits".

Once I have wrapped up a project in a Library, I usually reset my User Data to have a new clean sheet for the next project (currently RadioHead).

IMHO... if you let your User Memory fill up, you'll be in a world of pain.

Posted : 28/11/2022 11:04 am
Topic starter

Thanks for all the advice Bill, Jason and Antony.

Posted : 28/11/2022 12:17 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us