Notifications
Clear all

Editing Dr/Pc Drums patch PART 4

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi, I have a 4 part performance (started w preset Ice Pizz) and on part 4 have added Drum/Perc T's EDM Kit, which I'm trying to edit within MODX (specifically the crash and left-panned beats), yet go to EDIT - DRUM KEY - turn off all the elements and yet still hear the full sequence. How to find / isolate each element and edit them within MODX? I had dialed in the part like this: CATEGORY SEARCH - DRUM/PERC - T'S EDM KIT- then pressed PERFORMANCE (HOME), and then from within this page went to edit the hits. How to do this now within the performance? thanks..

Posted : 07/03/2021 7:44 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Reference: https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/how-do-you-assign-a-percussion-sound-to-a-particular-note-on-modx-performance

When you're editing the drum keys - they're already "isolated". I would turn on the "Keyboard Select" button - turning it green as in the linked thread's picture. Then you can press a piano key associated with that "piece" in the drum kit and edit.

If you're still hearing drums - you didn't turn off all of the keys. Maybe just the 8 that are categorized (BD, SD, etc ...). There are 73 total MIDI notes that map to drum keys. They range from MIDI note # C0 to MIDI note # C6 and all chromatic keys between.

The Data List tells you inside T's EDM Kit which MIDI notes get what drum sounds. You can use the docs or hunt-and-peck using the "Keyboard Select" and pressing notes on the piano keyboard until you've run through from C0 to C6.

If you're using say a MODX6 - you don't have enough keys to reach from C0 to C6 - so you'll have to use the OCTAVE+/- buttons to reach all of these drum keys.

You'll know which MIDI note you're hitting on the keyboard because it will show up (under "Keyboard Select" it shows "Drum Key" which under will show the MIDI note).

If you have a drum arpeggio or something else triggering the drums external - and can keep that going as you edit - then you can start looking for the sound by hitting the piano key (with "Keyboard Select" turned on), then turn off the drum and see if the sound goes away. Then turn back on the drum now you know you're editing the right one. Then you can edit the sound by pressing on "Name" and looking for something that fits what you're after.

From the data list - say I want to find the crash - I see the data list shows:

C#2 = Novelty Crash
E2 = Phase Crash St
G2 = EDM Crash St
A2 = Flange Crash St

... so if I knew I wanted to change some crash sound - I'd start running through those 4 until I found the one (or ones) that's used by my ARP and edit that one (or those).

A slightly more direct approach would be to open up the drum sequence with Cubase or some MIDI editor and take a look at the MIDI notes used directly. Then you'd have your answer what is in the running for needing to be changed for that drum sequence.

Posted : 08/03/2021 12:07 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Ok some progress - by pressing Keyboard Select and finding the note (in the case of the left panned "Digital Tom Low St" on F1, preset 6160), I can now disable this by turning OFF the element. The note /hit is panned left - is it possible to pan this a bit more central or to the right? (as opposed to mute). Where is the pan for the hit or is this not doable? that's fine if not, will do the cubase editing when finally get it up and running. Can't find the snare like hit though (?) on the same sequence. Use MODX 7. Want to mute this or swap it altogether. Thoughts where it it is? thanks!

Posted : 08/03/2021 7:54 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

While editing the drum Part, press the "Level/Pan" folder tab on the left side of the screen.

You'll see 3 options for Pan. Just "Pan" which is a fixed position pan. Probably what you'll find is not center. And then Alternate and Random pan. If the sound is staying "fixed" - but panned to one side - likely you're going to notice the plain "Pan" parameter is what needs adjustment.

Notice on this screen you also see drum key by MIDI note - so these adjustments are made drum-key by drum-key. There are 73 "pages" of these settings. One per drum key.

If you can't find the snare - you're not looking hard enough is all I can say. You can look at the MIDI notes in Cubase or some DAW and go by that. Or you can play chromatic notes on all of the keys until you hear the sound. Or you can turn off all drum keys and start enabling until you hear the snare.

T's EDM kit has snares at MIDI notes: D#0, E0, F0, F#0, G0, G#0, A#0, C#1, and D1. If you're certain it's a snare sound then go and disable all of those (turn off) until you don't hear the snare or after disabling all - turn them back on one-by-one until you find it.

Instead of turning off drum keys you can also use the Note Range to scan through notes. Change to C0(lower)-C0(upper) then you can keep increasing the upper limit until you start hearing the snare. The upper limit is the note the snare would be on using this approach. It may be faster and avoids having to reprogram back drums you've turned off.

Posted : 08/03/2021 8:17 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks, that worked. The volume / pan was fine. Whilst I could not find the actual "hit" sound by pressing each key (it is the loud crash at the end of that arp sequence) if the note limit is moved up to B0 it removes it, so job done.

Posted : 11/03/2021 8:41 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If the crash was there with note lower limit at A#0 but not with a lower limit of B0 - then I would think the note is A#0 which is listed as a snare.

At any rate, the note is somewhere within C0, C#0, D0, D#0, E0, F0, F#0, G0, G#0, A0, A#0. One of those 11 notes if the sound no longer occurs with the lower limit at B0. I'm having to make an assumption here, however. Assuming "up to B0" meant you were moving the lower limit up to a new higher value.

Posted : 16/03/2021 6:14 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us