Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Exactly how much user memory is in the MODX...?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I know it says that there is 1 GB of user memory in the MODX - but is it exactly 1.0 GB...?

I know the MOXF memory cards said they were 1 GB = but were actually 1024 MB.

The reason I ask is because I would like to install both the Bosendorfer for MODX (409 MB) and the Synthogy American Grand (612 MB) = 1021 MB.

Posted : 26/01/2019 4:20 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Try installing both on an initialized MODX. It will message if they do not fit. Backup first.

1k as 1024 bytes, 1M as 1024k, 1GB as 1024M is one valid system.

Posted : 26/01/2019 4:34 am
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I was wanting to know before I spend $100 on the American Grand software...

Posted : 27/01/2019 7:06 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

That makes sense. Wasn't clear in the original message that you didn't have it.

I assume you've read the threads about some not being satisfied with the lower volume samples (high noise floor).

Hopefully someone can give it a try and report back. My first instinct is to track down free/promotional packs that can be installed multiple times to target a size between 1000MB and 1024MB. The problem there is that you have to rely on Synthogy's usage statistics that they are using the right accounting system. Since MB has two "correct" accounting systems - 1024 based and 1000 based. Often, depending on the marketing goals, one or the other will be used. The nice players will give full disclosure and document which they used.

As the spread is only 21 MB - I'm sure you can shave off something if it didn't fit. Like key release sounds of one or the other set favoring internal (preset) key release sounds if you still had to have them.

Still - it sure would be nice to be able to answer this question more readily as an average consumer.

Posted : 27/01/2019 9:17 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us