Clear all

FM-X Control Assign = Op Freq

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I am trying to set up some Control Assigns on a basic 2 Op Stack such that I can control certain parameters from the Assign Knobs, rather than keep diving into individual Operator edit screens. This is all part of teaching/familiarising myself with basic Modulator-Carrier interactions.

I was trying to assign the Coarse frequency parameter to an Assign Knob. If I highlight this parameter box in the edit screen, the Control Assign button lights up Orange. I then twist the relevant Assign Knob and everything seems to look right on the screen e.g. Assign Knob 5, Destination = Op Freq.

But when I twist the Assign Knob once programmed and playing the keys, it sounds like it is controlling the "Fine" frequency parameter (I am pretty sure thats what I'm hearing).

I've tried altering the Control curve ratio and the rate controls for relevant Operator (Switch On, everything else off), but it still sounds like I'm getting (for full sweep) the x.00 to x.99 Fine tune parameter.

Am I doing something wrong?

Posted : 23/03/2021 3:57 pm
Trusted Member

Hello,
The parameter you chose is showing in the [Part - Common]/[Mod control]/[Control assign] tab as a destination (choose the right source). Can you read it and confirm ?

Picture from https://www.moessieurs.com/

Posted : 23/03/2021 4:50 pm
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Romuald,

I am referring to an FM-X Part.

The Control Assigns are in the Part Edit screens.

The Destination (the controlled parameter) is on the Operator Edit page - See MODX Reference Manual page 155.

I set the "Coarse" parameter, but it is controlling the "Fine" parameter.

Posted : 23/03/2021 6:40 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

https://yamahasynth.com/learn/montage/mannys-fm-xpert-5-everybodys-doin-the-knob-o-motion

Tutorial seems to indicate "Op Freq" as the destination with an operator's rate of +7 using the custom user waveform "Harm1-8v2" (you have to load the X7L to get this into your library) will give you coarse tuning from 1.0 through 8.0. The max range is up to 31 so I'd have to take a look more to see how this all plays out.

The "Op Freq" is a single parameter that I believe does double duty as coarse and fine. If you look at the step values of the "Harm1-8v2" user waveform - then values between those discrete values are the fractional (fine) values.

Posted : 23/03/2021 10:44 pm
Bad Mister

I am trying to set up some Control Assigns on a basic 2 Op Stack such that I can control certain parameters from the Assign Knobs, rather than keep diving into individual Operator edit screens. This is all part of teaching/familiarising myself with basic Modulator-Carrier interactions.

I was trying to assign the Coarse frequency parameter to an Assign Knob. If I highlight this parameter box in the edit screen, the Control Assign button lights up Orange. I then twist the relevant Assign Knob and everything seems to look right on the screen e.g. Assign Knob 5, Destination = Op Freq.

But when I twist the Assign Knob once programmed and playing the keys, it sounds like it is controlling the "Fine" frequency parameter (I am pretty sure thats what I'm hearing).

I've tried altering the Control curve ratio and the rate controls for relevant Operator (Switch On, everything else off), but it still sounds like I'm getting (for full sweep) the x.00 to x.99 Fine tune parameter.

Am I doing something wrong?

Both “Coarse” and “Fine” fall under the heading of what you are assigning, which is called “Op Freq” (short for Operator Frequency). *How much* change is applied is determined by the Curve Type, Polarity, Ratio, and Parameter (Shape).

You are thinking of “Coarse” and “Fine” tuning as separate assignable functions (which is not the case, at all), the actual assignment is simply “Operator Frequency”.
Say you are using the “Standard” Curve (ramp), and the Polarity is set to “Uni” (one direction), this will mean the left side of the graph is the starting frequency, as you turn the knob clockwise you increase the amount of Operator Frequency change.

The Ratio, if a positive (+) value will raise the frequency and if negative (-) will lower the frequency... and the value will determine “how much” change. The farther the value from +0 the more pitch change. The Param 1 setting will weight the change early or late in the Knob movement. The higher the value, the later the maximum is reached... the lower the value the earlier the maximum is reached. A setting of 5 is linear in nature.

If you set the Polarity to “Bi” — then the Knob can be turned up or down... from the start Frequency.

Posted : 14/04/2021 2:52 am
Member Admin

If the UI could just show these values changing under the influence of assigned knob and motion sequence influence, not only would this stuff be self explanatory, it'd also be far easier to fine tune the ratio, curve type and parameter shape.

BONUS POINTS: It'd also be easier to demonstrate the power and flexibility of the product in ways that make it more attractive to the groups of people that could get the most from it.

Posted : 14/04/2021 12:51 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Offset-Visibility-Motion-Control/210043-45978

I've also made this wish in multiple threads here. Knowing absolute offsets doesn't replace the "use your ear" as one method. It's complementary.

Posted : 14/04/2021 2:44 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us