Notifications
Clear all

Footswitch changes assignment spontaneously

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

This has happened now three times in 2 days.
I have the footswitch assigned to control the Leslie in my organ patches. It works fine.

But then I'll click the footswitch and the master arpeggio switch turns on (its native assignment.)
It literally just happened to me in the middle of a song. I was bringing the Leslie in and out with the footswitch. All of a sudden I hear chaos and I see the footswitch is suddenly controlling master arp and no longer controlling the Leslie.

I go into the organ part and confirm that there is no longer any footswitch assignment.

What would cause this?
I can't gig with this.

Edit: If I go into Utility-Settings- MIDI I/O is again assigned to ARP (I had assigned it to 85).
I change it back to 85, and now the control assignment for the part (FS Destination InsA) re-appears.

Posted : 11/06/2020 11:08 pm

I have the footswitch assigned to control the Leslie in my organ patches.

Can you tell me how you've setup a pedal to control the Leslie speed?
I tried connecting a sustain pedal to the "Foot Switch Assignable input" and on the Midi I/O page I selected "FS Assign" to 85 as you said you did but it does nothing.
When I set it to 86 the Assign 1 button lights so I know the pedal is working, just can't set it to control the leslie speed.

Posted : 13/06/2020 10:28 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Follow this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPcmZnf63Ho

Posted : 14/06/2020 1:26 am

Thanks Mitch, that worked but it didn't say anything about saving the setting. Do I need to save it ?

Posted : 14/06/2020 3:15 am
Bad Mister

The drawback of setting it to a momentary FS is that you must keep your foot on the pedal to engage the other Speed. Momentary FS work like a Sustain Pedal you must keep your foot on it to apply its function.

If you substitute a clickable FS it will work to “latch” the Speed change until you click it again. The reason the MW is used is because it most like the Chorale/Tremolo half moon switch retrofit on the B3. It also stays when used.

But as to Mitch’s issue, the things that can change your “FS Assign” include loading a USER FILE with different UTILTY settings; activating a “Quick Setup” template that has a different setting; Initialize All Settings; Initialize User Data; Initialize All Data

If you LOAD a User File, perhaps an older file, that has the FS Assign set to Arp Sw, you’ll need to update the UTILITY settings in that file.
I know of nothing that would change the global Foot Switch Assign in the middle of a song, short of Parameter Change messages (Sysex).

Posted : 14/06/2020 8:19 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Aha! I definitely did not load any User files but I DID play with Quick Setups because I was exploring the DAW remote control.

I actually enjoy using the momentary pedal for Leslie. It's expressive.

Steven, I don't believe you have to save anything for the Utility setting to "stick."
You just need to obviously save your Performance after you make the control assignment change.

Posted : 14/06/2020 12:46 pm
Bad Mister

Aha! I definitely did not load any User files but I DID play with Quick Setups because I was exploring the DAW remote control.

You can STORE the FS Assign = 85 to your “Quick Setups”

Go to the Quick Setup
Recall “Quick Setup #1”
Go to “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > set the FS Assign = 85
Go back to Quick Setup, tap “Store Current Settings”
Target “Quick Setup #1”

You can customize each of the Quick Setups to reflect your preferences by doing this — overwriting the factory default..
All subsequent User Files (.X8U) will reflect your selection.

I actually enjoy using the momentary pedal for Leslie. It's expressive

Which is fine, as long as you realize the FS is momentary, you can imagine how it can fool someone that doesn’t realize this.

Posted : 14/06/2020 4:40 pm
 dave

IVe been having similar issues.

I can assign the Assignable FS to CC1, which then works as expected with my cheap but functional foot switch, but it seem at least once a day i get a glitch, and then find its reset to the Arp On/off. Very annoying. This is normally during playing.

Posted : 20/06/2020 6:37 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

This is strange to see independent reports of what appears to be "spontaneous" footswitch CC number changes. It does not seem to be lining up with loading a User file or other normal ways of potentially changing the CC number assigned to FS.

Posted : 20/06/2020 8:15 pm
Bad Mister

Best Practices
When programming your own custom Performances it is a good practice to review the “Control Number” screen - in each... this is where you can change the CC Number sent by the Controllers where this can be selected. This is on a per Performance basis.
From the HOME screen
Press [EDIT]
Touch “Control” > “Control Number”

You can also review the three global assignments (black background) FS ASSIGN, SUPER KNOB CC, SCENE CC. There is a shortcut ‘wormhole’ between the “MIDI Settings” screen where you set the global settings, and your current Performance's “Control Number” screen.

The global selections will be Saved when you create a User File and will be shared by all Performances in this same file. They will remain until you change them, reset them, or load in new settings. If you do not make yourself aware of these global assignments and what actions specifically can reset them, they will continue to “surprise” you. The fact that it returns to the default is the first clue that it was Reset by an action.

They (the global Assignments) are also Stored in the Quick Setup Templates... which can, and do, change the global assignments to whatever is stored... as one poster above discovered.

Tapping “Standalone”, for example, resets the global default MIDI settings. If you have customized your global settings, say for example, you’ve assigned the Foot Switch Globally to CC1, it will remain that way until you take an action that resets it. The FS becomes a MW that can be 0 or 127 (no in between) — and that setting is your ‘preference’... it gets written into all User Files you make from this point on (until you change it by one of the methods discussed below).

Knowing what Resets the assignments is worthy of review:
_ A USER File - loading a User File will load the preferences of the author of that file.
_ Quick Setup Templates... #1-3 are customizable and unless they contain your preferences, they reset the global MIDI Assignments. “Standalone” goes back to factory defaults.
_ Initializing User Settings, User data, or the entire instrument

Without reviewing each person’s Storing/Saving and loading habits it’s impossible to say. However, once aware of the things that can influence your Utility System Settings, these anomalies suddenly stop happening.

Posted : 20/06/2020 10:33 pm
 dave

Thanks for that explanation. I’m not sure if I understand it all, but I’m glad its not a fault of my MODX (hopefully.) and does sound like its user error.

Ok, using global only, ive gone to Standalone and set FS to CC1. Works great. As long as i dont go in to the utility again what can i do to ensure it sticks? Ive programmed the FS in to the other two Quick set up slots and its as you say, those two keep the assignment as i want it, going to Standalone changes it back to Arp.
So am i right that anytime i used one of the 3 quick set ups and go back to Standalone i have to re set the FS back to CC1, every time?

So, if i dont touch this part of the Utility section again, and it changes back, and i didnt load any new files, ill need to look in the performance itself to check that this isn’t changing the Global setting?
As i said, I’m not 100% sure i understand all this so please be gentle lol.

Great info, thanks again.

Posted : 20/06/2020 11:16 pm
Bad Mister

So, if i dont touch this part of the Utility section again, and it changes back, and i didnt load any new files, ill need to look in the performance itself to check that this isn’t changing the Global setting?

If you don’t touch “Standalone” and you didn’t load any new files — it will not change your FS ASSIGN setting. FS Assign is NOT affected by any individual Performance.

This is why they are shown in a black background on your Performance’s “Control Number” screen. The Global settings can only be changed by manually changing them, executing a Quick Setup with a different preference (or tapping “Standalone”) or by loading a file with a different preference. That’s it.

If it changes on its own, you have a ghost in your machine!

Extra Credit:
It is a “Best Practice” to SAVE a USER File before setting up to work with a DAW.

THEN, Initialize your USER Bank prior to each DAW Record Session. This way you can populate the User Bank with the sounds you customize for this particular session. If you never make tweaks and changes to any of the data, this is not necessary... (but who uses the presets exactly as programmed?)

Doing this when working with a DAW, allows you to customize the Global MIDI Settings as you require for your recording session. When Recording to DAW, you might use the Super Knob CC and Scene CC set to send Sysex (Off) and the Foot Switch to work the MS SW. A totally different configuration from your live play setup.

Working with MODX CONNECT, you can automatically capture the sounds you use. And you can SAVE a USER FILE (.X8U) for long term storage — it will contain just the tweaks you made for this DAW Project.

Instead of hitting “Standalone” when your ready to go back to regular work, simply load your most recent USER FILE that contains your live settings. It would contain your GLOBAL MIDI Settings stored as your preference.

I keep a WIP (works in progress) User File... which I keep updating when I create a new Performance... at the end of the month I review the data.

Posted : 21/06/2020 9:41 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us