Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

FS Assign Setting will not stick!

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have a MODX7 running version 2.51.0 and I'm REALLY losing my patience with the fact that some of the supposed "Global" settings will not persist from day to day. Specifically the "FS Assign" setting.

I use a momentary footswitch to control the modwheel from low to high for Leslie speed change on organ performances. I've gotten this to work by setting the "FS Assign" to "1". HOWEVER about every 3rd time or so that I restart the MODX, it defaults BACK to Arp.

WHY will this not stick?

Attached files

Posted : 10/01/2021 6:00 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you push a quick setup button (template) like "Standalone" - this resets the FS Assign CC number. If you load a user file (X8U or X7U) - these files will store the footswitch configuration - so this is another way the setting can be knocked off center. Also, "Init On Boot" would be another way - although it would reset every time (so don't use Init On Boot).

Posted : 10/01/2021 7:37 pm
Bad Mister

Please see this post for some additional help... (link below) although in answer to a MONTAGE question it applies to the MODX. Of particular interest is the tip on updating your own User Files.

Link:
https://yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/montage-turns-itself-off#reply-98835

Load your USER Files, one-by-one, and verify your FS Assign... if it is different from what you desire, make the changes and then immediately reSave that File, updating it with your preference.

Additionally, any User Files (.X8U/.X7U) that you did Not make will have the preferences of that author... this includes any files you made where the setting was not what you wanted... (it’s a feature when you *know* what it is doing) it means when you load YOUR files, YOUR preferences get loaded.

You just have to learn to document YOUR preferences in all of YOUR Files. lol.

Tip: I have a Template USER File... anytime I’m getting ready to do a recording session, I load this File... it has all my settings and all my favorite go to data... which I can add to as I go. It also includes my customized Quick Setups for DAW communication, my FS Assign, my preference for Super Knob CC and Scene change CC.

You cannot change the Factory “Standalone” Quick Setup - it will always return you to the factory defaults. That is fixed.
You can program the three numbered QUICK SETUPS to do whatever you desire. For example, the “Record Audio on DAW” could be reprogrammed to be your personal Preferences... rename and store it as “My Reset”.

Think of the Quick Setups as the Factory Reset, plus 3 programmable Utility Setups. Use them as YOU prefer.

Posted : 10/01/2021 8:48 pm
Topic starter

If you push a quick setup button (template) like "Standalone" - this resets the FS Assign CC number. If you load a user file (X8U or X7U) - these files will store the footswitch configuration - so this is another way the setting can be knocked off center. Also, "Init On Boot" would be another way - although it would reset every time (so don't use Init On Boot).

Jason,

Thanks for the tips. Do you know of a way to edit the "Standalone" Quick Setup to store the FS Assign number? I see I can overwrite the other 3 Quick Setup options, but not "Standalone". This would allow me to have the assignment as the default....

Also, it seems like you know this stuff pretty well. Do you also have experience with other aspects of configuring the MODX (Performance tweaks, managing storage of libraries, DAW interaction with Cubase or Studio One), etc.?

I'm looking for someone to do some consulting/coaching on the board and am willing to pay for the service.

let me know if you have the ability and interest in something like that.

Thanks,

Kevin

Posted : 10/01/2021 9:04 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm not really willing to accept payment for helping individuals. I guess if I become someone's keyboard tech - that's a different story (and different from what you're asking). Most of what you need you can get through interaction on the forum here and the other part you can do on your own.

I think there are those willing to take money for training. I see some places around but would not really recommend paying. I cannot, however, dictate how you spend your money.

Bad Mister knows more of the insides of these boxes. He's a Yamaha employee. I am not. I'm just a passionate keyboard player.

BM covered the bases of your "standalone" question.

Posted : 10/01/2021 10:10 pm
Topic starter

Jason,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess part of the problem for me is, I'm still such a novice with the MODX that most of what Bad Mister posted is over my head, and I'm just looking for the quickest way to get pointed questions answered.

FWIW, I'm in the engineering software business and I manage a division that provides professional consulting services (education, mentoring, support, development, etc.) to designers and engineering customers, so the reason I'm looking for a mentor/consultant is because (at least in my professional experience), it can be the most efficient and effective means of assisting people when they're pressed for time and just need specific questions answered, vs taking an all-encompassing course on the topic.

I understand time is valuable, and while I'd like to scour the internet, discussion groups, YouTube, etc. to know everything from soup to nuts about the keyboard, I simply don't have the luxury of the necessary time, and am more in need of getting specific questions answered.

If Bad Mister is open to offering consulting/coaching services, or if one of you could recommend a reputable resource, I would very much appreciate it.

I don't know what the hourly going rate is, but I'd love to know!

Thank you again very much!

Posted : 11/01/2021 12:04 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't know of reputable sources that charge. Unless you count Yamaha - but I think they typically look for doing more group training based off of earlier discussions rather than individual.

I wouldn't mind further discussing other topics, however that would be best done offline. There's no PM here - although there is at Ideascale. You can find me by taking a look at an idea I authored:

https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Allow-private-soundmondo-collections-to-export-as-a-Live-Set/230929-45978

Click on my profile, then "Send PM".

If you're not already a member there - you'd need to set that up first. It's free and unobtrusive. Your profile settings can turn off notifications so the system doesn't email you from time to time. Although if you turn off all notifications - you may need to login to check for messages on your own.

Posted : 11/01/2021 2:39 am
Topic starter

Jason,

Done. I PM'd you in the IdeaScale.

Posted : 11/01/2021 11:43 pm
 rudy

The yamahamusicians forum is another great place where Montage / MODX owners help each other out.

Link to the MODX chapter: https://www.yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=186
Link to the Montage chapter: https://www.yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129

Posted : 12/01/2021 11:28 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us