Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

GenX - Analogue synth virtual controller for Montage/MODX

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I've been playing with the idea whether a virtual controller, that allows you to create sounds on the Montage/MODX using an analogue synth UI, would provide the immediate feedback and creativity of an analogue synth (but using native MODX elements behind the scenes).

To test the idea, I've created "GenX", a Jen SX1000-inspired* interface with loads of knobs to tweak sounds in real-time. You can try it out here using Chrome, Edge or Opera**: https://buggle52.github.io/

Just connect your Montage or MODX via USB (ensuring drivers are installed of course), and follow the instructions***.

Have fun and let me know how you get on!

A few notes:-
* Why the Jen? Because it's a simple single oscillator synth to test the idea with, and I have one to hand to get the sound the same as I can 🙂
** You'll need to use Chrome, Edge or Opera, as it uses the Web MIDI API that is only supported by those browsers.
*** You'll be prompted to allow the site to access MIDI, and a new blank performance will be initialised as part of the connection process

Attached files

Posted : 24/01/2022 8:05 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I wonder what that P.W.M. knob does.

Posted : 24/01/2022 11:22 pm
Topic starter

On the original Jen, it modulates using the single LFO (that's shared with the VCA and VCF). On this one... well, I'm not saying it sounds anything like true PWM, but it modulates something 😉

If you run it and look at the part, you'll see it uses a PWM waveform to try and emulate what the knob does on the Jen, but I confess it's a best efforts thing.

Posted : 24/01/2022 11:43 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Ok - I don't mind fudge on my ice cream.

Posted : 25/01/2022 11:28 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us