Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Happy new MODX7 owner

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

After thinking a lot between 2 options, I ended up with a Yamaha MODX7. I wanted a 76 keys keyboard (after seeing the advantage of this key size on my previous GENOS), soft touch feel keybed, wide sound palette and finally onboard sequencer.

OPTION 1: MODX7 (1040€) - after trying one at a local store, I liked the keybed very much. Albeit not being the top of the line FSX keybed, it is very light and expressive in touch, letting you play "into the keys", including the black keys. The sound palette is incredible and now it has a full onboard sequencer that keeps you away from computers (if you decide so). Also the 7.7kg weight is a blessing to transport. The build quality, knobs, encoders and sliders, is very good.

OPTION 2: Komplete S61 MK2 + Komplete 12 Ultimate (1050€ at this precise moment - Native Instruments Christmas promotion) - I have had the S61 Mk2 with me for 2 weeks and immediately found the keybed to be very good, but with a negative (to me) - the black keys. This is my personal opinion since I know lots of players find this keybed really good. The white keys are very good and comfortable to play but not the black keys (for my style of playing) - soft touch. If you try to play "into the black keys" = near the hinge, you will find that it is much stiffer to press and unnatural. Meaning if you hold certain chords you have to apply different force between white and black keys. Also having to rely 100% on your laptop was not a great option to me, even if you can work with the two onboard (great) screens. Also you cannot layer two sounds using the keyboard. Only inside your DAW you can do this. No sequencer also, only using a DAW. The SOUNDS: well... after experimenting with Komplete suite, I cant relate with Native Instruments sounds. Too over engineered, kind of industrial music type, to my taste. But that is just me of course. The body, encoders and screens quality however is absolutely great. The price... with Komplete Ultimate Christmas bundle is a steal at this moment.

Hope to help some of you in the same boat as I was with this discription. Dont get me wrong: both options are extremely valid and show the steep work Yamaha and Native Instruments has put on these products. In the end it will come down to what instrument and type of music composing / playing you relate more.

Posted : 22/11/2019 4:07 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Interesting opinion about the S61 MK2 black keys. I've played on this keybed briefly and thought it was up to snuff to want to add the exact keyboard to the studio here. Mostly as a controller for Montage or maybe as 2nd keyboard live.

Mainly what I like about that keyboard are the LEDs above the keys for splits. I wouldn't mind having reminders of where my splits are. I can usually remember - but often just tap some keys to hear where my splits are before a tune starts. Something not available during a dinner social event kind of gig. Sometimes I've got notes for tunes if it happens to be one I do not play often and therefore are prone to forget. There are tons of other management techniques available to me - but I really think having a visual indicator of splits would be best for me.

I do play back on the keys (white and black) at times -- and double playing while pushing buttons which puts a hand in interesting positions. This will be something for me to take a second look at.

Even further back, when I was debating a MIDI controller (dumb) + something smart - not a computer, I was thinking rack unit at the time - I ultimately decided that decoupling the keybed and associated controls (knobs, sliders, buttons) would lead to a worse overall experience than getting the single keyboard+tone generator combo synth such as Montage (MODX).

Posted : 22/11/2019 9:21 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us