Clear all

hear side chain

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I doubt.
In global common page Performance I do Compressor with side-chain with controling from muted channel with quarters notes.
I wish that master compressor to pump swing the full mix. But I don't here result. Is it side-chain or not or something.
If I have just two part pad and kick it's immediately obvious. But then compressed full mix all parts I don't know.
Maybe lack of visualization. Is it correct to do a side chain on the master compressor?

🙂

Posted : 13/11/2021 11:13 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I do Compressor with side-chain with controling from muted channel with quarters notes

If you mute your modulator then the modulator will have no output and therefore will have no contribution to sidechain. Instead of muting what you want to do is take your modulator Part and change its output from Main L&R to OFF.

With modulators of any type (side chain, envelope follower, etc) - assigning the output to Off cuts off the sounds from being routed to your studio monitors (speakers) but does not turn off the Part completely. Internally the Part is still available for side-chain, envelope follower, etc. Using mute would be the incorrect way to handle this.

Posted : 14/11/2021 5:54 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yes, I mean it Main L&R to OFF. No "mute" familiar.

Posted : 14/11/2021 12:58 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

This works for me - but is not a very pronounced effect using compression on MFX. You can turn up the modulator gain in the MFX settings. However, this probably doesn't do exactly what you want. I started with Moving Floor since it has a "4 on the floor" bass drum on the drum Part and went from there to attempt replicating your setup. So I do see the limitations of this approach in achieving any substantial "pulsing". You may want to choose a different master effect for this or employ envelope follower to modulate levels (volume).

Posted : 14/11/2021 9:11 pm
Bad Mister

The reason why Side Chain Compression works well with a “Pad” sound is because it can, and when most effective, is held across several quarter notes. The compressor “ducks” (lowers) the Volume of the Pad any time the Kick drum is applied. Therefore a sustaining sound makes it easy to identify the dipping in volume for a quick moment in time (certainly less than 250ms, ie, quick)

If applied to a staccato or rhythmic sound — and if that sounds lands directly on a quarter note it will be reduced greatly in Volume for a very quick moment. But only those notes that land on the quarter notes or within 200ms of the quarter notes will be effected.

So on Parts not being held (sustaining) it will have less impact. They certainly would not be described as pulsing (just some of it will be missing on the quarter notes)!

And while it will sound different than normal, you cannot expect a ‘pulsing’ like sound unless it is applied to held chord sounds (like a Pad). You notice the pulsing because of the change/dip in volume — instead of a steady output level across all four beats in a measure, you become acutely aware of the change from steady to pulsating… as the volume dips on the quarter notes.

The more movement in the musical part the less prominent the ducking/pulsing.

Extra Credit:
The Master FX (all Parts going to the Main L/R Outputs pass through it) can be assigned a Compressor with Side Chain capability.
Set the rhythmic Part as the “Side Chain” input… if you Kick is on a specific Part, place that Part number as the Side Chain input.

The kick drum will ‘duck’ the entire signal… whether or not it is more significant or not, depends on the sustaining portions of the sound.

This pumping type sound (popular in electronic dance and other kinds of dance music) can be used for other things as well. The dance 4-on-the-floor trick is well known in certain circles.. but this type of ducking one signal at the entry of another has been around for many years…

For example, by making the Master FX - Compressor, Side Chained by the A/D Input; speaking into a microphone will duck (lower) the volume of the music signal. You can set the Compressors Attack and Release so that it reduces the music as soon as you speak, but rather slowly releases the signal. Used by radio disc jockeys when they have to speak over music… they use it to lower the overall signal while they are talking… set properly it can be smooth and most importantly it can be done automatically.

Posted : 14/11/2021 9:45 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us