Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Help with Program Changes when in multi midi channel I/O

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I am using an Akai Force to control a MODx and connected via USB. If I have midi channel I/O set to single I am able to control program changes and everything with no issue.

However, I am trying to use multi channel I/O where I have several different tracks each sending on a different midi channel so I can control each part of the performance separately. However, if I turn on multi channel IO the MODx will program change to default piano performance. The part that is a bit odd to me is it will do this even if I don't send any program change at all from the Force.

Currently the only thing I can do is disable the receive program change in the midi settings so I can at least stop it from changing to the default performance but that isn't quite what i would like.

Is it possible to be in multi channel midi I/O and still send program changes to change performances? If so what would be the setup?

thanks in advance

Posted : 28/05/2023 8:31 pm
Prominent Member

Is it possible to be in multi channel midi I/O and still send program changes to change performances?

Yes - Multi mode is the default. If you turn the Modx OFF and then power it up the mode will be Multi even if it was not Multi when you powered down.

If so what would be the setup?

Please tell us YOUR setup.

The default mod is Multi and program changes work just fine so we need to know just what it is you are doing.

If I have midi channel I/O set to single I am able to control program changes and everything with no issue.

That raises the question as to why you set it to single when the default is Multi?

However, if I turn on multi channel IO the MODx will program change to default piano performance

Please explain - I tested changing the mode back and forth from single to multi and didn't experience any spontaneous program changes from the performance that was active.

A program change will only occur when the instrument is instructed to make one - either manually by the user or via MIDI.

Please restart your instrument and then post the EXACT steps you are using to change the configuration from the default.

Before you do I suggest you read through these two threads which deal with configuring the Force with Montage/Modx:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/yamaha-montage-akai-force

h-t-t-p-s-:-/-/-w-w-w-.yamahasynth.com/forum/modx-and-akai-force

Posted : 28/05/2023 8:56 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If what you're trying to do is change a single Part using PC, then use the "Performance (Single Part)" MSB/LSB then PC. Send these commands on the MIDI channel that matches the Part # you are wanting to change.

Posted : 29/05/2023 10:36 am
Bad Mister

However, I am trying to use multi channel I/O where I have several different tracks each sending on a different midi channel so I can control each part of the performance separately. However, if I turn on multi channel IO the MODx will program change to default piano performance. The part that is a bit odd to me is it will do this even if I don't send any program change at all from the Force.

I’d like to zero in on this particular item. Because the MODX cannot make any decisions on its own (unless you count FM-X SmartMorph’ing) and because the phrase “default piano performance” is not 100% clear to me.

There is no “default piano performance” — perhaps you are referring to the “Multi/GM” Init Multi Part Performance… it contains “Concert GrandPiano” in all Parts except Part 10 which changes to “Stereo GM Kit” GM Drum Kit. All Volumes set to 100, all Pan to Center, etc., etc. — the start point for then sending BankSelect and Program Changes in the GM Setup Bar (the Measure in front of GM Files used to program the sounds for the music data to follow…)

If that “Mulri/GM” Init Performance is what you mean by “default piano performance” then the MODX will dutifully change to that setup (seemingly automatically) without you seeming to “send any program change at all from the Force”… if and when the MODX receives a “GM RESET” message from an external device.

GM RESET = F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7

This can be sent by a MIDI File in GM format by simply recalling or loading the file to a connected playback device. Or it could be set by pressing a button programmed on an external device to send a RESET command throughout the system. (Sorry I don’t know the Force - check it’s documentation; check you MIDI File.

If you are playing back GENERAL MIDI FILEs you will find the GM RESET message as the very first message coded to Track 1 of the data (by MIDI spec protocol).

If by “default piano performance” you mean something different, please let us know what the actual NAME of the Performance is… it will help solve the mystery.

Posted : 29/05/2023 9:22 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for responses, I didn't get a chance to check back until today but figured out what was going on. I normally midi control on single so I can play all the parts of the performance on the same notes through one midi track.

When i was trying to switch it up a bit and see if i could send program changes to each part separately and switched to multi I guess I accidentally turned off the bank change option in the settings. So what was happening was is it was sending the program change info without the bank info which must not have had performance for that data so it was loading a init patch. Once i realized this and turned the bank info on it was switching to correct the program change.

But I would have needed to come here anyways because I didn't know about the difference using the MSB 63 or 64 depending for a single part or a whole performance. So now understanding that I was also to able to get the single parts to switch out also via the program changes.

Thanks again.

Posted : 01/06/2023 1:19 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us