Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Hi. How are you folks cleaning the surface and sides of your synth's. Soap and water isnt cutting it for my hand oils. Any suggestions ?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Joe
Topic starter

Cleaning the synth

Posted : 10/12/2021 11:29 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Stereo equipment isn't the same as a synthesizer - but it's close enough I would think. The cleaning tips go one step further than the recommendations in MODX's manuals. See the part about cleaning oil off of remote controls.

https://hub.yamaha.com/audio/a-how-to/spring-cleaning-special-how-to-dust-and-clean-your-audio-gear/

Myself, I just leave the oil and grime and what have you on the keyboard.

Search the net enough and you'll find keyboard owners who report trying this or that and what's been working for them. There's a company that sells stuff you spritz out into a cloth and they're happy to sell you something. Maybe someone with a MODX that has cleaned their own smudges will give a better endorsement of a particular approach that can work for you.

Posted : 11/12/2021 7:01 am
 Joe
Topic starter

Funny, and nasty all at once...I kid, kinda ,thank you for the reply. I m thinking about trying a little Murphy's auto vinyl cleaner/conditioner. On the back first πŸ™‚

Posted : 12/12/2021 12:18 am
Bad Mister

Page 4, MODX Owner’s Manual:

β€œWhen cleaning the instrument, use a soft and dry/slightly damp cloth. Do not use paint thinners, solvents, alcohol, cleaning fluids, or chemical-impregnated wiping cloths.”

Get a quality micro-fiber cloth.
(The MODX is not an automobile!)

Posted : 12/12/2021 8:42 am
 Joe
Topic starter

I will do it first, thank you

Posted : 12/12/2021 5:45 pm
Trusted Member

And for dust I use a soft paintbrush. It gets in between all the knobs and sliders.

Posted : 21/12/2021 7:55 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you're cleaning a surface that isn't sealed - say like sliders - then using a paintbrush will move around the dust and maybe allow you to pull it out from under hard-to-reach places but also pushes it into the slider tracks. What I see from pro restoration videos for dust is use of a vacuum cleaner to suck the dust out rather than possibly pushing it in using a brush.

Reference the CS80 restoration video from Syntaur as one example.

Posted : 22/12/2021 6:57 pm

I just get my vacuum cleaner with a soft bristle brush attachment and gently go up and down.
When Bad Mr keyboard gets dirty he just opens up a new one πŸ˜€

Posted : 29/12/2021 1:19 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us