Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How best to manage and delete unused samples to free up waveform memory?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

In an attempt to load a library with samples, I am exceeding my sample memory. First questions:

1. Is there any way to explore a.x7L file to see what it contains either using the MODX or an offline tool?
2. Is there a mechanism to selectively load specific performances in a library?

If I do in fact have to free up some sample memory, I don't think I have a good way to make sure the waveforms I can delete in the data utility is actually being used by any performances that I care about. The Melas total librarian only seems to indicate that a performance has waveform memory but does not list waveform by name so that is of limited value.What I would really like is a way to list all user waveforms and which performances they report to. I may have some waveforms hanging around from a previous MOX8 voice import which are not actually being used.

3. Are there any other ways to find out if and which performances are the waveforms used by?
4. If I save the user area to a file, delete the user area and then load the user area back from the file will that end up deleting any orphan waveforms?

Posted : 06/11/2018 1:07 pm
Bad Mister

1. Is there any way to explore a.x7L file to see what it contains either using the MODX or an offline tool?

You can use either the MODX itself or the John Melas MONTAGE Waveform Editor
MONTAGE/MODX WAVEFORM EDITOR

2. Is there a mechanism to selectively load specific performances in a library?

Well, yes there is.

Load the data to create MODX Single Part Performances (temporarily) to a Library (as “Library File”)
Play through the data marking those you wish to keep.
Using the “Library Import” Function, Select your keepers and import them to the User Bank. Here they can join other Performance data or you can start with an initialized User Bank. Because you are using “Library Import” each selected Performance will copy its Waveform, Arpeggio, Motion Sequences, User Curves, etc., to the current User area.
The existing User Bank data assembled and the data moved in via “Library Import” can then be saved as a new LIBRARY FILE.
Once your new Library File .X7L is created, you can delete the temporary Library, and then load this new Library to your Flash.

Keep your installed .X7L Files backed up on your computer. If ever you need to initialize your Instrument or the installation... this .X7L File will be able to reinstall it. The thing about an installled Library that you’ve worked (selected your favorites, etc.) is you will always have the File that installed it. Keep it safe. Even if you have to clear your memory to create another selected Library... you’ll have your install File.

If I do in fact have to free up some sample memory, I don't think I have a good way to make sure the waveforms I can delete in the data utility is actually being used by any performances that I care about. The Melas total librarian only seems to indicate that a performance has waveform memory but does not list waveform by name so that is of limited value.What I would really like is a way to list all user waveforms and which performances they report to. I may have some waveforms hanging around from a previous MOX8 voice import which are not actually being used.

The Total Librarian is not the “Waveform Editor”. The Melas Waveform Editor” is the most elegant way to manage your data.

We can assure you, however, you will have no “waveforms hanging around from a previous MOX8 Voice Import” as the MOX8 never allowed for User Waveforms, at all.

3. Are there any other ways to find out if and which performances are the waveforms used by?

Other than the previous mentioned Melas Montage Waveform Editor, you can explore the Performance data right on the MODX... navigate to the OSCILLATOR screen and check it out.
Select the Part > press [EDIT] > touch “Elem1” > “Osc/Tune” > here each Element points to a Waveform Bank and individual Wave.
The Waveforms origin is revealed: Preset, User, or the Library name will appear as the source of the data.

4. If I save the user area to a file, delete the user area and then load the user area back from the file will that end up deleting any orphan waveforms?

No. Please see the routine I outlined above. The Library Import function importantly copies and repoints the Element Waveform data so you can create a new Library. It is the method to eliminate the unused Waveforms. As the “Library Import” routine is designed to analyze the data you have selected and if multiple Performances use the same data it prevents duplicate Waveforms from being copied.

If your Data is truly coming from a MOX8, there is no need to worry about sample Waveforms. The MOX series did not have any User sample memory.

Posted : 06/11/2018 1:43 pm
Stefan

Highly recommend the John Melas waveform editor. It is really cool for reorganizing and cleaning up the waveforms and also moving around performances. That both works over library borders...

Posted : 06/11/2018 2:46 pm
Topic starter

HI Phil,

Thanks for the quick response. A few follow-ups. I am actually trying to load the Wojtek Olszak library which has samples. The conundrum is that I am apparently using a little over half my sample memory, so the library will not load at all. Short of clearing out the memory in order to audition the new library, I am trying to figure out a workflow that doesn't involve all that shuffling since I believe some of the waveforms are not ones I need.

When I look at specific waveforms using the MODX data utility screen, I recognize them as samples that were in my flash expansion of the MOXF for voices that I never really used. They must have come over when I did my original MOXF migration effort, but I'm not sure why they are still around. Having said that, I'm still at a loss for how to figure out which specific performances are using them. Yes, if I knew the performance, I could see them in edit mode, but in this case I know the waveforms and not the performances. I do own the waveform editor, but will have to figure out how to "receive" the waveforms from the MODX.
I have only used the editor to create a performance from samples I imported from wav files and saved to a file. I also didn't realize the editor could read x7l files from what you said.

-Mitch

Posted : 06/11/2018 2:50 pm
Topic starter

Hi Phil,

So I opened my latest .x7U file (and .x7L) in the Melas Waveform editor and do see a tremendous amount of waveforms not associated with any current performances presently in the user area. In my previous post, I meant to say I think these samples came in from my MOXF8 voice migration, not MOX8. I guess I can delete them and create a new X7U file. Given that they don't report to any performances, is there any other way to have them all be deleted via some transfer of user area to library and then back to user?

-Mitch

Posted : 07/11/2018 1:38 am
Bad Mister

Short of clearing out the memory in order to audition the new library, I am trying to figure out a workflow that doesn't involve all that shuffling since I believe some of the waveforms are not ones I need.

Use the Melas Waveform Editor to create your File, then load it to your MODX.

Given that they don't report to any performances, is there any other way to have them all be deleted via some transfer of user area to library and then back to user?

Use the Melas Waveform Editor to delete unused Waveforms, create your file, then load it to your MODX.

Posted : 07/11/2018 5:51 am
Stefan

BM is right. The waveform editor has a function to delete duplicated and unused waveforms.

Posted : 07/11/2018 9:18 am
Trusted Member

Hello,
This is a trick I used to remove unused wave files.
Starting from BM post, I select the relevant part > press [EDIT] > touch elements that use waveform, press "Edit waveform". Into the new dialog, touching the name of the file opens a new dialog that allows to edit the name. Just add a specific character ("*" as a suffix for instance).
Then go to Utility/content/waveform folder, sort by name : the specific character is noticeable and may be used as a filter to delete unwanted files. Don't forget to use "Optimize" process for waveform folder when done.

Posted : 09/11/2021 4:19 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us