Clear all

How to hold a chords?

12 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi! There a stupid newbie questions.
How to hold a chord? I need to press chord and release my left hand.
It would like an arpeggio that play simply chords?
Arpeggio: I do not need music like la-la-la.. I just need only keep current chord. And chords must be controled like Am, G, Dm etc.

And how to record timeless chords (long chords) ?
I have recorded 32 bar one note but it does not give change harmony before 32 bars
I have records 1 bar but chords overlaped release~~ (some like release=127)
🙁

2. Is there any way to switch a button wihtout hand or pedal like count timer?
Like Intro, Break or Fill-In in Genos/SX900
Automaticaly

Has MODX artificial intelligence?
🙂

Posted : 01/11/2023 9:19 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I created a Performance that holds chords.

See if this helps any:

https://soundmondo.yamahasynth.com/voices/90136

Posted : 02/11/2023 3:18 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

... and a link to the original thread back in 2018 when I created this chord hold demo:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/don-t-know-how-to-set-a-note-hold-or-latch-for-a-part-in-a-performance-please-help#reply-113970

Posted : 02/11/2023 3:51 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thank you Jason! Andrew thanks!
I'm got a first look in Soundmodo
Crazy! Good!
I'm surprised with this web engine
🙂

Posted : 02/11/2023 5:34 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Some common question about arps. If I sould to record my drums arp 32 bar length.
How long to play this arp? Every chord changes (key on) to reset or full length as is?
Or It maybe has settings available?

I thinking about crash cymbals inserting to some bars in time

Posted : 03/11/2023 3:31 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

You might want to just load up the crash to an AWM2 Part with a free element and limit the note range to a key on the keyboard and shift that crash so it sounds at the right pitch relative to the key you select (probably an extreme top or bottom.

Although if you never play a C#, for example, then you can set C# a semitone above middle C to the crash and use reverse note range (left side of range a higher MIDI note than the right side) to "carve out" C#3 from all of the other Parts and elements. Such that when you play this C# in the middle of your keyboard you hear a crash. Since it's not a drum Part you'll either have to hold down the key to hear the full sample or otherwise compensate for this using AEG.

You could also add a whole new drum Part just for this which would waste a Part but make triggering the crash more natural.

Some built in ARPS have velocity related effects that allow for crashes to happen when you dig in. Since your drums are ARP driven you can set the arp note range small which determines which notes trigger the arp as well as, I suspect (not something I do) define what keys can cause these effects to happen. Narrowing down to a key would give you a target for telling this preset ARP to do a crash. None of this is available if you use custom (user) ARPs. We don't have the capacity to define arps with these features.

Otherwise I would hold your 32 bar if drums and also loop the arp. And generally advocate super imposing crashes over this running arp one way or the other (you have options).

Posted : 03/11/2023 6:59 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Jason, is it possible to use Motion Sequense without SuperKnob to get auto sustain?
Part MS not Motion Control Knob Auto.
I whant to free SK for other tasks.
With MS this is work but sustain is short and quite - why? Is it available?
What is different I not understand.

Posted : 03/11/2023 11:46 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

actually the sustain goes out anyway... with SK the same
Is difference MS direct or SuperKnob? I can not understand

Posted : 03/11/2023 11:54 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You should be able to use MS direct without superknob. I chose superknob because you can see when it is holding and when it's resetting. Using MS direct you won't have as much visual feedback but it will still work the same I gather. I'll have to go back to this Performance and redo it.

What sound are you trying to hold, btw? Because I can customize it to that sound (i.e. preset Performance).

Posted : 04/11/2023 1:03 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I missed one obvious possibility! obvious!
Receive SW > Sustain OFF
for right hand, solo voices etc.

😮

Left hand use pedal as is.

But however any tricks are useful

🙂

Posted : 04/11/2023 1:25 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I chose superknob because you can see when it is holding and when it's resetting.

Yes, I guessed this. It's right.

What sound are you trying to hold, btw? Because I can customize it to that sound (i.e. preset Performance).

Usaly I play Fat Saw St waveform

Posted : 04/11/2023 1:30 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The soundmondo auto sustain uses an AWM2 sound (like your Fat Saw) and because AWM2 doesn't have an option to infinitely hold AEG high after release - there's a limit to how long the chord will stick around. It frees your hand for about two measures after you lift your hand before you need to change chords or restrike the same chord.

If you could make an FM-X sound that sounds close enough to "Fat Saw St" then FM-X does have the ability to infinitely hold and wouldn't be constrained by the same (slowly) diminishing level issue AWM2 has.

I copied the superknob motion sequence to Part 1 MS Lane 1 (manually) and then changed the control source from Part 1 Assignable Knob 1 to (Part1) MS Lane 1 and this worked the same as when superknob was in control. I turned off superknob MS so it no longer moved on its own. Auto sustain worked fine.

Basically the settings are just: Sync Off, Speed 64, Cycles = 1, Loop = Off, Reset=1st on (I think - going by memory... whatever is in the superknob automation in the soundmondo Performance). Standard settings for everything else.

In the custom Performance I started to create here with Fat Saw - I also adjusted the filter movement so it stayed still (constant) since before the filter would move over time which also caused a volume decrease.

Posted : 04/11/2023 7:24 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us