Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to record mic_A/C to a separate DAW track?

18 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,
I want to record a MODX performance and a mic signal (from the MODX A/D input), and have separate tracks in my DAW for each of them. What I mean is, have one track for the Performance (any MODX sound really) and a separate track for the mic. Is this possible using the Yamaha Steinberg interface? If yes, then how do I do the routing so they each end up on a separate track?
The default is both the performance and the mic signal end up on the same track, sounding together. I don't want that. I don't want the signal of the mic to be heard on the performance's track.

Since the MODX has a 10-in/4-out USB audio interface, it should (in theory at least) be able to separate a performance from an A/D input and bus them to separate tracks in my computer DAW.

According to this article:
https://www.yamahasynth.com/learn/modx/part-1-mastering-modx-audio-record-on-daw
it is possible to do that with multiple MODX parts. However, I missed where it discusses the possibility of being able to do the same with A/D inputs.

If this is possible, could someone guide me through some steps on how to set it up in MODX?

I followed the steps in the above article on how you tell MODX where to send/bus each part (or in my case where to send the A/D in) but my DAW doesn't receive signal from the USB ports I assigned even though I created inputs in the DAW.
Besides since there is no A/C option under Common (Edit > General > Common), but only 16 parts, I wonder if making a bus for the mic is even possible.

Thanks.

Posted : 06/07/2022 8:46 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=117766] Besides since there is no A/C option under Common (Edit > General > Common), but only 16 parts, I wonder if making a bus for the mic is even possible.
[/quotePost]
It's in Edit - Common/Audio -> Audio In.

Check page 161 of the Reference Manual.

Posted : 07/07/2022 8:00 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Usually one is focused on parameters in the Part level so Common/Audio is easy to overlook.

To get to these, press [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) to get to the home screen then touch the Performance name at the top.

Posted : 07/07/2022 9:06 pm
Topic starter

@Dragos

It's in Edit - Common/Audio -> Audio In.

Check page 161 of the Reference Manual.

Thanks Dragos for pointing me to that. It works.

Posted : 07/07/2022 10:22 pm
Topic starter

@Bill

There is no mention of the A/D part but the 'Audio Rec on DAW' template sets the common/audio A/D output select to 'Main L&R' as the default.

Exactly! That's what confused me: The path provided in the article goes through Common (tapping the blue button), and there appears a list of 16 parts where it logically should also be A/D in and Digital in at the end of that list, but it's not there. So that path is Performance> Edit>Audio In>Mixing>Common >16parts> End of path= no A/D in option.

The path where A/D in can be routed to USB individual channels must avoid tapping the Common button. It's actually there before getting to that, but I missed it. So that path is:
Performance> Edit>Audio In>Mixing> tap the Output Select box under A/D in, and there I can select any one of the 8 stereo or mono USB channels.

I selected USB mono channel 3 in the Output Select box and then I matched it in my DAW and it works. The signal from the mic goes only to USB input 3, and the performance goes to USB Main L&R. So when I select the inputs for each track in DAW I can choose USB 3 and that track only records the MIC, and for the performance track I select Main L&R as input and It only records the performance.
Additionally. I had to save the performance in MODX or else every time I switch and come back it loses the routing and I have to do this every time. So I was curious if I could save it and it does. I just stored the performance after making this routing, gave it a new name and when I go to that user performance It remembers the routing for A/D in.
Just what I wanted.

Posted : 07/07/2022 10:48 pm
Member Admin

Close, Bill.

When strictly using the template, pretty much as you describe, Part 3 is suffering;

USB AUDIO 3 is a mono audio path, given over to the microphone. It's gone. But because any Part of a Performance can be assigned to any pair (stereo) or Mono USB AUDIO 'channel', it's not necessarily Part 3 that's being sacrificed to the Microphones A/D use of USB Audio 3. Something has to miss out on some focused and unique output, but it's ultimately up to you which Part that is.

But then you have to twiddle in both MODX and DAW to shuffle Parts and their respective USB Audio feeds so, if you can, it's easiest to sacrifice Part 3 if USB AUDIO 3 is given over to the microphone and A/D flow to DAW.

Posted : 07/07/2022 11:37 pm
Member Admin

It might be possible to record A/D audio to the onboard song recorder, and keep the USB Audio outs going to DAW as normal, and then later push the "song" recording into the DAW by file transfer.

Posted : 07/07/2022 11:39 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you want to have A/D Inputs on their own digital channel then you need to record 4 or less Parts plus A/D input. You have only 10 digital outputs from MODX (I usually think of the keyboard is the center of the universe, not the DAW -- that's just me ... I understand what you are saying when you say these are inputs ... inputs to the DAW).

These 10 outputs are mono ... meaning 5 stereo outputs.

First Part = one stereo output
Second Part = one stereo output
Third Part = one stereo output
Fourth Part = one stereo output

That's 4 stereo outputs so far (8 outputs total counting each L as one and R as one).

With 4 Parts simultaneously audio recorded to the DAW - you only have one more stereo pair left in your total budget for MODX. This is where your A/D input is your last stereo output.

Since the templates setup:

Part 1 = Main L&R
Part 2 = USB1&2
Part 3 = USB3&4
Part 4 = USB5&6

I would setup A/D Input as USB7&8

Now A/D input is on its own digital channel and the other 4 Parts all have their own independent stereo channels.

If, for whatever reason, you wanted to be able to add system effects or master effects or master EQ to the A/D input, then you would need to shuffle. Change Part 1 to USB7&8 and set A/D Input to Main L&R which would allow using system/master fx.

Posted : 08/07/2022 5:43 am
Topic starter

If, for whatever reason, you wanted to be able to add system effects or master effects or master EQ to the A/D input, then you would need to shuffle. Change Part 1 to USB7&8 and set A/D Input to Main L&R which would allow using system/master fx.

Is there a reason within MODX why the sound of any Performance gets to the DAW reduced/altered qualitywise, such as possibly going out to the DAW without effects? MODX sounds go to DAW via USB cable.

- Listening through the monitors when Direct Monitoring from MODX the sound is full, sort of hi-fi, and more present (for lack of better words). Listening to the same monitors but going through the DAW and back through the MODX's interface the sound loses some of that fullness quality. Both instances use the same MODX interface. Only when going through the DAW it's as if I'm listening through inferior speakers.
I'm wondering if that is because:
1. Going out to the DAW takes out MODX's effects/EQing by default (if that is what is happening). I'm sending 1 Performance through USB Main L&R. I'm not talking about any user-modified or added effects. Just the default sound when you turn MODX on and select any performance. That sound is altered by the time it gets back from the DAW compared to how it sounds when Direct Monitoring.

2. It has nothing to do with MODX sending Performance sound out without its effects rather is a normal result of going through the DAW: i.e. any daw does this, it transforms the sound somewhat as a result of going through the computer. Is that happening?

3. My computer is not powerful enough. Sounds like a stretch since digital sound should be 100% identical copy, so the same information should travel unmodified from unit to unit unless something changes its format. If the sound is being transformed through different formats then this could be the reason. I'm talking about audio sound from the MODX, not MIDI data.

4. Peculiar DAW? Someone is thinking: "This never happens to me. When the sound gets to my DAW it is identical to what I hear when Direct Monitoring form MODX."

Posted : 08/07/2022 10:30 am
Member Admin

These are silly little things that have happened to me:

Could your audio volume of DAW track be slightly lower, so when it bounces back it's less present?

Could also be that only one side of stereo is being received/recorded by DAW (Audio track set to Mono) and that's then bounced back to MODX as a Mono pair rather than real stereo. This has happened to me a few times, and has the impact you're talking about. Switching the DAW track you're using to Stereo fixes this.

Posted : 08/07/2022 12:35 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

That MODX's digital volume level "seems" lower than Montage has been mentioned before. I think early MODX adopters that already had a Montage made this assertion. Check out your gain settings. You may be able to boost the signal to an acceptable level. I believe there is some headroom in the USB gain (room to increase). You may have already adjusted.

[UTILITY] "Settings" -> "Audio I/O" set the "USB Main" and "USB 1-8" "Output" to +6dB or +12dB to boost vs the default of 0dB unity gain. Depending on the headroom you actually have at the peaks from your output signal you may run into the ceiling. However, you can check it out.

Pressing the quick template buttons (AUDIO REC ON DAW, etc) will adjust the gain settings -- so be sure to go back and check these after pressing these buttons if you want to avoid having the rug pulled out from under you.

You can also setup custom quick template buttons that would have, embedded, the USB (Main and 1-8) output gain settings you prefer along with the standard template you want. If you're searching docs, the standard term is "Quick Setup".

To run through this:

[UTILITY] "Settings" -> "Quick Setup", touch (for example) the "Audio Rec on DAW" button to recall this quick setup template. Then go to [UTILITY] "Settings" -> "Audio I/O" to change the USB output gain to values you want then go back to the "Settings" -> "Quick Setup" menu and press the "Store Current Settings" button.

Every time you navigate to the "Quick Setup" menu - the "Standalone" button will appear to be selected since there will be a white box around it. The white box is meaningless. It doesn't show what the current settings are. These buttons never show state. They are there to change settings only if you press one.

Posted : 08/07/2022 3:07 pm
Topic starter

Could your audio volume of DAW track be slightly lower, so when it bounces back it's less present?

Could also be that only one side of stereo is being received/recorded by DAW (Audio track set to Mono) and that's then bounced back to MODX as a Mono pair rather than real stereo. This has happened to me a few times and has the impact you're talking about. Switching the DAW track you're using to Stereo fixes this.

Thanks, Andrew. I checked these:
- I adjusted the channel volume so that it is close to what I hear when Direct monitoring.
- The channel is set to receive from Main L&R so it's set on stereo and I can see two active LEDs on the channel.

It is rather a sound quality rather than a volume issue. And taking a closer look I noticed it happens only when the track is armed for recording (which automatically lights the monitor button and possibly could be caused by the monitor button). Ironically the sound is thinner when the track is armed for Rec. It's as if I had applied an EQ and took out part of the lows and mids. (Any plugin I might have on a channel I make sure it's off). Or it's as if played through a cheap car stereo, or small radio; more highs than the original, and less bottom. I am perhaps exaggerating a bit but it does have that effect, where it seems it subtracts from the sound, thins it out, not boosting it. If it is a double sound, (as in if I had Direct monitoring on and also monitoring from the DAW) I would expect it to be louder, and double the punch/fatness, not make it wiry. I'd also expect to have latency issues such as double sound as my latency is pretty big: 12-13ms. But I don't hear any double sound so I assume I am not double monitoring.

However when I listen to the recording and disarm the track for rec the sound is back to normal, meaning it has the warmth of the original sound. I don't understand it, but I can live with a weird sound while I play, as long as the recording is normal.

The best example I can give is the Imperial Grand Piano from Bosendorfer. When Rec is armed on the track, the piano sounds boxy and wiry, nasal and icy, with highs that do not exist in the original MODX sound. When Rec is disarmed, the sound is warm and natural just like when Direct monitoring.

I am glad that it isn't the effects send from the MODX. At least I know to look into the DAW.

Posted : 08/07/2022 5:24 pm
Topic starter

You can also setup custom quick template buttons that would have, embedded, the USB (Main and 1-8) output gain settings you prefer along with the standard template you want.

Why is it that when I try to store a new setup it says “Midi Rec on DAW” will be overwritten? Isn’t it supposed to write a new setup, and not overwrite the existing template? Besides, I didn’t select MIDI rec on DAW. I selected Audio Rec on DAW.

Thanks,

Posted : 08/07/2022 5:26 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You could also restore the original settings by reviewing the settings for that profile in the tutorial, manually edit, then save the profile back with your adjusted settings to match the original.

The way the white box implies something that's not actual is, in my opinion, a low point of the GUI design.

Posted : 08/07/2022 6:17 pm
Topic starter

Oh wow! Glad I didn't save especially since I had no intention of modifying MIDI Rec on DAW.

But still, how can I modify the Audio Rec on DAW or template 3, if it defaults to 1?

Posted : 08/07/2022 10:32 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us