Notifications
Clear all

increase speed of pad sweep

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

How can I increase the speed of the sweep on Pd/Smooth BPF Sweep?

Posted : 02/03/2023 7:19 pm
Prominent Member

There is a SPEED parameter for the Element LFO if you edit the part and select the element.

The default speed is 38 but you can bump it up as high as 63.

Posted : 02/03/2023 7:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Element LFO is one possibility and the previous advice would be great if "Smooth BPF Sweep" used the LFO to modulate the filter. It doesn't, however, so you need to look somewhere else instead.

I'll cut to the chase first and let you know it's in Element 1's Filter EG (envelope generator). You get there by pressing:

1) Press [PEROFORMANCE] (HOME) button
2) Touch Part 1 on the display then choose "Edit" when the popup menu shows up
3) Touch "Elem 1" at the bottom
4) Select the "Filter" -> "Filter EG" menu

... now you should be in "Edit - Part 1 - Element 1" with a triangle shape going up and down then flat lining back at 0.

Blurry reference picture (there's a way to take pristine screenshots - this was faster and serves the purpose):

This is what's modulating the filter. If you want the rise to go faster (and by this I mean opening up the filter as you hold down a piano key), reduce the attack time. The attack time is currently set to 87. Make that smaller. To make the fall go faster (meaning the direction of closing up the filter after the filter reaches its most open point) then lower the Decay 1 time. Currently it's set to 89.

87 and 89 are pretty close to each other. You can try values like 40 (for Attack Time) and 40 (for Decay 1 time). Try different values and see what suits your goal. You can have a very quick initial opening up of the filter followed by a very slow close. Or vice versa. Or you can leave it balanced about the same speed opening and closing as it is in the original slow sweep (yet now make both smaller for a fast/balanced sweep). It's up to you.

... the other possibilities would have been (other than Filter EG and Element LFO):

1) Motion sequence (either super knob automation or an MS Lane virtual knob modulating the filter's parameters). We know this wasn't it because the motion sequence master is turned off.
2) A control arpeggio. This is a type of arpeggio that doesn't play notes but modulates a knob or CC value. We know this wasn't it because the arpeggio master is turned off
3) LFOs (I'm adding Part LFO to the realm of possibilities). We know neither Part nor Element LFOs were involved because the depth of Filter modulation was zero (or unassigned) in both Element and Part LFOs.

Posted : 02/03/2023 10:02 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Perfect--thanks, Jason!

Posted : 02/03/2023 11:14 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us