Notifications
Clear all

Insert FX for USB Audio possible?

15 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

is it possible to use Insert FX for the USB Audio (the same way I can use it for A/D Inputs)?

tnx, and keep safe...
Danijel

Posted : 14/03/2022 6:06 pm
Bassam
Eminent Member

Hi @Danijel, I was thinking abou the exact same thing last night!! I have some Raw Samples on my PC and I want to test them with the MODX Effects before actually editing them and loading them as waveforms.

I am unfortunately away from the MODX for another 3 days so I cannot test, but the manual is a good reference.

It seems you can: [PERFORMANCE (HOME)] > [EDIT] > [Audio In] > [Mixing]

Set the Volume of Digital In, and increase the Sends of Var & Reverb.

Another solution would be: Disconnect the MODX from your PC, use an interface with your PC, Connect the Interface Outputs to the MODX Inputs, and here you go. I already tested a similar approach with external keyboards connected to a mixer then connected to the MODX Inputs and I tested the MODX effects on the signals coming from the other keyboards.

Hope it helps!

Posted : 14/03/2022 6:48 pm
Topic starter

tnx @Bassam - but the 1st solution refers to digital in (thru A/D Input), and 2nd is fine in that scenario - but I need it for iPad on live gig (so - I am using MODX as an USB interface 🙂

tnx @Bill - that means the answer for my question is "No" 🙁

I thought I can use InsertFX for USB Audio (iPad with B-3x and Drive/Amp sim in MODX to control by MW while playing live) - it seems I need to find another solution...

Posted : 14/03/2022 7:42 pm
Bassam
Eminent Member

tnx @Bassam - but the 1st solution refers to digital in (thru A/D Input), and 2nd is fine in that scenario - but I need it for iPad on live gig (so - I am using MODX as an USB interface 🙂

"Digital" In is the audio from your USB interface!
As per the MODX Reference Manual, Page 167, "From the Mixing display you can adjust the volume settings of the Audio Part (the input signal from the A/D INPUT [L/MONO]/[R] jacks) and the Digital Part (the input signal from the [USB TO HOST] terminal*)."

Anw, it is worth testing, if it is the same as "A/D Input" you won't see both options in the Mixing View.

Posted : 14/03/2022 7:55 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Digital In cannot directly pass through insertion effects. The A/D Insertion effects cannot be applied to Digital Inputs. You can take Digital In and place system effects to the incoming Digital Inputs (system effects = Variation and Reverb effects with Var and Rev sends available from the Common/Audio screen which includes the A/D mixing).

Since this is in the Montage category - there is an option to get Digital In "looped" into A/D so Digital Inputs can get the A/D insertion effects.

What you would do is take two 1/4" cables and plug one end to Assign L out and the other to A/D Input L. Also Assign R Out and A/D Input R. You're taking the assignable outputs and looping them back into A/D inputs. Make sure your A/D input switch is turned on (lit amber) and turn the A/D gain up to get the proper signal level.

Under the Common/Audio setup where you see Digital In Rev / Var send, dry level, etc. - there's an option for "Output". By default this will Main L/R. Change it to Assign L/R. System effects would be automatically stripped from the assign outputs - so there's no need to worry about the rev/var send values for Digital In.

Now you can apply InsA and InsB on A/D Inputs which will be your looped back Digital Input.

MODX can't do this - so for MODX you'd have to live with system effects only for the Digital In.

Posted : 14/03/2022 8:11 pm
Bad Mister

We have moved this post to the MODX forum heading. If you own a MODX please post in the MODX forum - not MONTAGE - they are different, in spite you saying they are the same. They are not as you can see from the answers you have received.

Posted : 14/03/2022 9:11 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Exactly - this is a clear example of why it matters. Although mentioned is that MODX cannot use the loopback. So no, you can't use insertion effects for Digital In.

Something I left off - the iPad side, if your app supports it, needs to configure the MODX output appropriately. In Cubasis it shows up as output 1/2 (1 and 2) and 3/4 (3 and 4). "1/2" is Main L/R and "3/4" should be Digital In. If output is set to "1/2" then this will go straight to the Main L&R outputs without adding system effects. Digital In would allow for adding system effects.

Posted : 14/03/2022 9:38 pm
Topic starter

[quotePost id=115122]We have moved this post to the MODX forum heading. If you own a MODX please post in the MODX forum - not MONTAGE - they are different, in spite you saying they are the same. They are not as you can see from the answers you have received.[/quotePost]

Tnx, and I apologise for my assumptions (as it is once again show as a mother of all f****ps)

Posted : 15/03/2022 12:19 am
Topic starter

[quotePost id=115124]...the iPad side, if your app supports it, needs to configure the MODX output appropriately. In Cubasis it shows up as output 1/2 (1 and 2) and 3/4 (3 and 4). "1/2" is Main L/R and "3/4" should be Digital In. If output is set to "1/2" then this will go straight to the Main L&R outputs without adding system effects. Digital In would allow for adding system effects.[/quotePost]

Well - this is a kind of revealation - and I've tried it already (iPad B-3x audio outs to MODX 3/4), but unfortunatelly cannot get the sound out on MODX (switch A/D button to ON and make the A/D volume up... on AudioIN page in MODX under Digital In put 'Stereo' and Levels all up to 127 - no sounds out of it :(... turned one channel on iPad to MODX 1 - and the sound revealed on 1 channel, so the iPad and B-3x are working)... Is there a kind of "switch" on MODX to activate the Digital In (besides master A/D INPUT on/off switch )?

tnx...

Posted : 15/03/2022 12:25 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The A/D switch does not need to be on. Digital In doesn't rely on this. It was referenced as a trick available to Montage not available for MODX.

The screenshot already in the thread provided by Bassam (shown as accessed by: [PERFORMANCE (HOME)] > [EDIT] > [Audio In] > [Mixing] ) is where you would set the Digital In levels.

If you output (from the iPad) to the "wrong" USB digital channel - then the "USB Volume (Monitor) " knob will change the output level of the signal sent from the iPad.

The level of the "Digital In" is set by the Audio In/Mixing screen referenced above. You're going to want the output to be Main L/R. The screenshot shows the correct settings (bottom 7 parameters are for Digital In) except for Rev/Var sends which you may want to set to non-zero if you want to use system effects for the Digital In.

Posted : 15/03/2022 3:27 am
Topic starter

Well - it seems everything is fine with MODX and Digital IN - it works perfect with, Arturia for example... But - B-3x has an issue - both on Windows as well as on iPad: when I choose digital L/R (or MODX 3 and 4 on iPad) - it stays silent... restart app - the same thing... trying another app (not by IK) - it works as it should...

Can sbd please check on your own - I don't believe I am doing sth wrong (if it works in other apps)?

tnx,
Danijel

Posted : 26/03/2022 7:28 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I guess a demo version of B-3X could be installed. When running in Windows - are you running this as standalone or as a VST? And if a VST - what DAW?

the iPad app doesn't seem to have a demo - so the only chance I have to test is using Windows.

I think given the present state of rotary speaker simulation that many users have this combination (B-3X + Montage or MODX).

Posted : 26/03/2022 11:34 pm
Topic starter

[quotePost id=115491]I guess a demo version of B-3X could be installed. When running in Windows - are you running this as standalone or as a VST? And if a VST - what DAW?[/quotePost]

As standalone - I need it for a gig, so no need for DAW... Anyway - I've just tried Windows although I am using iPad on gigs, just to check out if it's issue with iPad (or B-3X IOS), or MODX... but it seems it's IK's issue

[quotePost id=115491]I think given the present state of rotary speaker simulation that many users have this combination (B-3X + Montage or MODX).
[/quotePost]

Yup - that's the reason I've asked it 🙂

Posted : 27/03/2022 2:22 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

As an initial step since I have IK's Sampletank (demo) on the iPad - I fired that up to see what it did.

There's no options for MIDI or audio configuration. And, at first, the app didn't respond to the keyboard. I pressed keys and didn't see the app respond by "pressing" the virtual keys on the screen when I played notes in the range of what what was onscreen.

To correct this, I first had to fire up a Moog app that does have at least MIDI configuration and configured the MIDI I/O for the Moog app for my keyboard's Port 1. After doing this and exiting the Moog app - now, at least, I could see the Sampletank keyboard respond when I press piano keys.

Are you seeing the B-3X keyboard move when you press piano keys on the MODX?

And, since Sampletank didn't have any audio configuration I could see the default outputs (audio) were 1/2 - meaning Main L/R (not Digital in). I could tell this was the case because I could hear the Sampletank instrument through my keyboard and the level wasn't altered by changing the Digital In level.

If you do have the ability to change the output does output 1/2 work for you (Main L/R)? I know it may not be ideal if you wanted to apply system effects as an example. But at least you could start having something for your gig if you got something going even if not ideal.

Posted : 27/03/2022 4:07 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm using Sampletank CS because my thought is perhaps the audio engine would be similar to IK's B-3X and it's a free demo I can try. I didn't have any (major) problem getting it work as standalone. Next I tried using Cubasis to host an inter-app instance of Sampletank inside the DAW. Since Cubasis allows me to assign outputs (1/2, 3/4, etc. and all combinations) - I was able to get Sampletank CS outputting to 3/4 without any problems either. I could hear the audio and setting the Digital In volume higher or lower altered the volume.

I know you don't want to use a DAW - but I'm just trying what I can here in iOS.

As far as I can tell, Garageband in iOS doesn't let you pick the MODX output (it's forced to 1/2 apparently). So the "freebie" DAW isn't of any help.

Posted : 27/03/2022 5:47 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us