Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Issue with loose keys

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 joab

wow that's not good to hear! The thing is it not just the noise. It does affect playability. The keys do not play the same on the 2nd depress because of the inertia. This is bad. I wish I never bought it now. To be honest a dealer did tell me there were problems and that is why he didnt stock it but I thought it was just an excuse to sell me something else. In fact it seem like he was being honest!

Posted : 24/10/2019 3:49 am

I am also a Yamaha keyboard owner. Have had a AN1X, a Motif XS6 and a Yamaha GENOS. Yamaha FSX keybed (top of the range) is very reliable, but noneless, on a MONTAGE6 I had to test in my house for 2 weeks, one key was faulty, making a stange "clack" noise when depressed. Yamaha representative (in Portugal) replaced the inner rubber mechanism but the issue was not solved. Anyway this was the only issue I have had with Yamaha keyboards.

In reality you only get top materials and top build quality in the top of the range Yamaha keyboards: MOTIF, CP73/88, MONTAGE and GENOS. But they come with a price tag, naturally. That doesn't mean when you pay 1100 euros for a MODX6 or 1400 for a MODX8 you have to settle with a much inferior instrument. After all 1400 euros is already a lot of money (more than I earn in my job!). But there must mandatorily exist a significative difference to the top of the line instruments, of course.

In my experience every time I needed a repair on a Yamaha keyboard, within warranty, it has been addressed promptly by Yamaha. Yes, I have had Roland keyboards also (RD-2000, JP-8000, D-20), and it is true that these - keybed wise - have been more reliable than Yamaha's keyboards. But we are talking of two major Japanese brands and these guys have the responsability in themselves to keep honest in their business. That is usually the Japanese way of doing things.

So to all that are having trouble with the MODX8 keybed I recommend to send the keyboards back for repair - EVERY - time you have an issue. EVEN if it takes 4 or 5 times for Yamaha to solve the issue. After all costumers pay for that when they literally "buy" warranty for their instruments. Beyond warranty that is another story.

Bashing Yamaha online, ostensibly, for a faulty MODX8 keybed shows unecessary disrespect for the brand (which I do nor represent, by the way), and won't solve any problem.

Posted : 24/10/2019 1:44 pm
 joab

I dont see any of this thread as bashing. I see it as genuine yamaha customers getting a bad deal. My other thread and its original version just asked yamaha the simple question 'if I get it fixed will it stay fixed'. No reply from them. If they treated customers with respect customers are more likely to respect back. Japan-based or not there seems no sense of honor when the main spokesman here deflects all issue and blames the 'Heavy handed?' customer.

And bottom of the range or not....these things are not consumables they should have a shelf life of more that 2 months. It is ridiculous to suggest that just because they are not flagship that it's acceptable to put out products not fit for purpose. I am a domestic customer who has the MODX 8 setup in a lounge for occasional playing. Jeez what would it be like if I actually relied on it for my living!

Posted : 24/10/2019 5:46 pm
Eminent Member

Not exactly the same topic but related... I was experimenting on my MODX7 and found that it's really difficult to get a velocity higher than 122 or so on it. I have my velocity curve set to Soft since I'm no pianist, but I find even when I really hit the keys hard it's rare to get over 122. Maybe it's the design of the keybed or the internal scaling, but it's almost like the keys don't want to go any "faster"... I've hit 127 if I really try, but then I'm not playing... just trying to hit a velocity.

I don't remember having that problem on the Motif XS6 I had years ago, but that was ages ago, and it had a higher-end keybed anyway. I wonder how the Montage compares in terms of velocity response.

I have 2 other (non Yamaha) keyboard synths with velocity, but I would have to connect them to a computer to see what velocities they're sending, so I don't know if they are similarly curved at this point.

Posted : 25/10/2019 1:51 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us