Clear all

Issues with Merging Performance

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Minh
Topic starter

Hello guys,

I've just created a performance with 4 parts (CFX Pop Studio Grand, Finger Bass Amp AF, Mega 60s Clean Bass, Power Standard Kit 2). However, when I changed the CFX Pop Studio Grand with CFX Stage in part 1, the CFX Stage sounds very honky and is very different compared to its original sound. I also tried to add CFX Stage in the empty part 5 instead but the issue is still existed. Initially, I thought maybe there are differences in the sound settings between the 02 performances (i.e mine one and the original one of the CFX Stage). However, I checked and find out that the settings is the same for CFX Stage in two performances. I also tried to add S700 for Montage into my 4 parts performance and there is no issue with the sound of S700 for Montage.

Hence, I would be very appreciated if you could advise me whether I did something wrong or this is because of the system error. Here is the link for your reference as I could not upload the files in my post:

CFX Stage_My 4 Parts Performance: https://soundcloud.com/user-796812056-890982010/cfx-stage-my-performance

CFX Stage_ Original: https://soundcloud.com/user-796812056-890982010/cfx-stage-original

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Minh

Posted : 01/06/2019 5:49 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Probably system or master FX or perhaps superknob / controllers not aligned and causing issue with offsets.

There's a slightly larger checklist to run down but those would be what I check first.

You shouldn't have these problems with CFX Stage if you started with CFX Stage then added the 3 other PARTs next. Although this would fix the "issue", it wouldn't inform you why. Learning the "why" is important so you can appreciate what happens or can happen when transplanting "foreign" PARTs into an existing Performance.

Posted : 01/06/2019 9:46 am
Bad Mister

In order to upload your file:
Use the MODX CONNECT to capture the Performance, then SAVE it in a .X8B File.
You must then *compress* (zip) that .X7B File before you can post it here on the site.
If you post your work we can tell you, specifically, what you missed or at least what changed.

But just listening to it, it sounds like you are either unaware or are just not paying any attention to the available options when you are replacing the Piano. You have either inherited Effects that we’re not in the original or you are now ‘sending’ data from the piano Part slot to an effect that previously did not exist for the Part you inserted into your Performance.

There are three different types of SEARCH when it comes to looking for sounds. They each offer different options...
Performance Category Search — replaces entire Performance
Performance Merge — appears only when “+” Adding a Performance to an existing Performance
Part Category Search — appears only when replacing a Part

You started off using Performance Merge, but then are using Part Category Search to replace an existing Part (your options are different) what gets inherited is different.... some items from the replacement Part are going to be missing...

Things to try
_ Instead of trying to *replace* Part 1 with a different Single Part acoustic, try building your Performance by starting with the Acoustic Piano. Until you get used to building sounds you will be unaware of what you are inheriting. This will avoid the issue entirely.
_ If you are *replacing* an existing Part, please take note of the options along the bottom of the “Part 1 - Category Search” screen; you can opt in (green) or opt out (gray) on copying the “Parameters with Part” ... Mixing, Arp/MS, Scene, Zone

Mixing — if green you are copying the Part settings from its previous HOME, if gray you inherit the settings of the previous Part occupying the slot (useful if you have already setup Note Limits, etc.
ARP/MS — if green you are copying the Arp and Motion Sequences from its previous HOME, if gray you inherit the Arps and MS of the current Performance.
Scene — if green you are copying any special Scene snapshots from its previous HOME
Zone — if this appears depends on the Zone Master global setting.

By *replacing* Part 1 you are certainly changing bringing the new piano into the System Effect, Master FX, and Master EQ of the one you are replacing... that has to impact the overall sound.

from the Reference Manual Page 176.....
Param. with part (Parameter with Part)
Determines whether or not to read and use the parameter values for the next Performance. When the set of parameters is set to off, the current setting values are continuously used even when the next Performance is selected.
The “Zone” parameter is available only when “Zone Master” is set to on in the Utility display.
Settings: Off, On

Posted : 01/06/2019 10:06 am
 Minh
Topic starter

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your reply. I checked the Master FX and it is off, Superknob is not assigned to part 5 and the paramter settings (FX, Revebr send etc.) of CFX Stage in my performance is the same with the original ones except the volume output which I changed it to original. Yes, you are right, I don't have issue if I build my perfmance starting with CFX Stage first. This issue is existed only when you try to merge this performance to other performance. I don't know whether other MODX user has a similar issue like me (i.e maybe with other performance) and really don't know how to fix this.

Btw, can you try the CFX Stage in your MODX to see whether there is any issue like mine?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Minh

Posted : 01/06/2019 10:11 am
 Minh
Topic starter

Hello Bad Mister,

Thank you for your reply. Indeed, I checked all the settings options of the CFX Stage as you mentioned before I add it into my performance (i.e for both Part Replacing & Part Mergiing). However, the the sound is really weird in both ways of adding it to my performance. I attach here the .X8B file of these two performances for your reference. Could you please help to review for me whether I did something wrong.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Minh

Attached files

CFX Stage Performance.zip (7.6 KB) 

Posted : 01/06/2019 12:36 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

"Both" ways including:

1) Recall CFX Stage as the factory preset Performance. It should sound fine - the same as the factory preset (because it IS the factory preset)
2) Add 3 PARTs (Finger Bass Amp AF, Mega 60s Clean Bass, Power Standard Kit 2) to this Performance as PARTs 2, 3, and 4.

CFX Stage should never change how it sounds after adding other PARTs.

As I mentioned before, this doesn't tell you what/why things went wrong by replacing PARTs before - but, at least, should get you going with what you're trying to accomplish.

Posted : 01/06/2019 4:28 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I guess you've gathered by now, this isn't a bug - just an undiscovered reason for why this is happening. It's normal. I've finally made it to the keyboard so I can take a quick look. Here's my process:

1) I recreate your condition by first loading the "CFX PopStudioGrand" preset and then touching PART 1 which lets me replace PART 1 by category search. I replace PART 1 with "CFX Stage". This creates a wonderful honky-tonk piano.
2) Touch the FX icon at the top of the touchscreen
3) Turn off different level of effects to see if this is effect related. It is. When I turn off "System Effects" - the honky tonk goes away. That's a big clue to tell me where to look. Other effect levels do clear up the honky-tonk sound.
4) I know where to look for system effects (system means Variation and Reverb). I press [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) and then touch the Performance name (which is still "CFX PopStudioGrand" - this is just an "edit buffer" copy of it with my modification to replace the PopStudioGrand with Stage). After pressing the Performance name, press "Edit", then go to the menu "Effects" -> "Routing" in this Common/Audio section. Note that the variation effect is a detune effect. This is, I already know, what can cause the honky tonk sound. This or chorus is how it's typically created.
5) You can prove this by setting this effect to "Thru". Or you can also optionally exit out of here, go to (HOME), press PART 1, then Edit, then menu "Mod/Control" -> "Control Assign", make sure "Auto Select" in the upper-left is ON (green), then start spinning assignable knobs hoping maybe there's one that will turn down Var Send. There is one - it's Knob 8. Turning down Knob 8 (counter-clockwise) also fixes this issue. This isn't the best way - just another one of many to skin the cat. The other would be to press the [TONE/FX] button and dial down the "Variation" knob. They can work against each other so checking both places may be prudent. In this case, just the assignable knob was sufficient.
6) Go back to the factory preset "CFX Stage" Performance. Look at the variation effect used - get there to the "Effects"->"Routing" screen in the Common/Audio section as step 4). Notice that "CFX Stage" uses a reverb type effect in the Variation slot. Turning up more reverb isn't going to create the honky-tonk sound. This is the real "issue". When you replace a PART with some other sound - the system effect of the NEW sound does not come with it. The NEW sound will use the CURRENT effects (System and Master) -- which may not be "right". It's you're job to tidy up the loose ends.
7) To patch up this Variation effect - you'd need to swap out the variation effect with the same variation effect (which happens to be a "reverb" type) used by "CFX Stage" and using the same effect parameters. That's possibly a lot of work - and easier to just do the below (as was previously suggested):

Now that you know why this happened - I would seriously just start with "CFX Stage" then add the other 3 PARTs. The other 3 PARTs are less likely to be impacted if you already have not noticed the "detune" issue with the other PARTs. Even if they are impacted (they're unlikely to sound EXACTLY like the originals due to being in a different System/Master effect environment) - you'll know why and perhaps how to go about finding out what's going on.

I'm not sure if you have experience with previous generations of Yamaha synths (Motif or previous MO lines, as an example) - but those previous synths had the same "game" to play when you created your own Performance. You would typically construct a Performance by taking multiple "Voices" (previous architecture had Voices - the closest analogous object to PART in today's Performance). Each "Voice" had its own System/Master effect. There can only be one System effect and one Master effect - so you had to pick a "best fit" System/Master effect which would work with all voices. Often (nearly 100% of the time) you would not find that all voices would magically use the same exact system/master effects - so you'd have to compromise. Sometimes you would mix voices together and the result would sound fine. Likely different - but not so out-of-wack that you felt like anything had to be done. Sometimes - less often - you'd hear a standout voice that would not "like" the system/master effects you have provided in the new Performance. The same sort of discovery and editing had to be made as outlined in this honky-tonk example you've seen in MODX. Just pointing out that if you had previous experience - there's nothing new here even though the names have changed slightly. "Variation" instead of "Chorus" (for one half of the system effect type) and "PARTs" vs. "Voices" (loosely).

Posted : 01/06/2019 10:02 pm
 Minh
Topic starter

Hi Jason,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I followed your steps and it works!!! The issue was caused by the System FX and I just need to adjust the System FX to the one of CFX Stage. Indeed, when the issue occured, I just only checked the FX of the part itself but not the System FX hence did not see the difference. Yes, I used to have a MO6 and you reminds me that I had the similar issue before... Back then, I could not use the Perform with its full FX settings into Pattern mode...However, back to those days I did not know how to fix this.

Anyway, now my problem is solved and once again thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
Minh

Posted : 02/06/2019 5:40 am
Bad Mister

If you think about the EFFECT this way it may help you visualize what happens.

The INSERT EFFECTS are called that because they are inserted, literally, in line with the instrument's signal. Think of a guitarist that has a wah-wah pedal and a distortion... the guitar is plugged into the Wah, the Wah is plugged into the distortion... these effects belong to the guitarist - no one else in the band is going to use these they are the personal effects of the player.

Think INSERT EFFECT - Rotary Speaker - it is another example of an Insertion Effect because only the B3 organ is inserted into this Effect - it is the personal 'effect' of the player... no one else in the band is using the Rotary Speaker it belongs to the organist.

The SYSTEM EFFECTS belong to the STUDIO. The STUDIO in this case is where the band (all the individual players) gets together to play... The STUDIO has a mixer - all the musicians plug into the STUDIO's mixer... That mixer has two AUX sends... one Send is called REV SEND (and it feeds a Reverberation chamber) the other Send is called VAR SEND (and it feeds a Time Delay Effect)... those effects are accessible to everyone in the band via the AUX SENDS on their channel of the mixer.

When a musician (individual PART) goes to the STUDIO (joins others in a PERFORMANCE), the individual can bring their dual Insertion Effects from home, but they all share the same System Effects when they get to the Studio. Use Rev and Var Sends to access these processors...

Basically SYSTEM Effects are the ROOM ACOUSTICS... Think Reverb --- it creates a room... Think Variation as Time Delays (Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, Echoes, Multiple Repeats etc) they setup the environment. Each musician cannot bring along their own ROOM ACOUSTIC - all member of the band "share" the same environment.. That is the purpose of the System Effects.

So when you merge a new PART to an existing Performance - it brings its personal effects, but inherits the room acoustics (with everyone else in the band).

Same as it was on the MO6!!!

Posted : 02/06/2019 9:38 pm
 Minh
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,

Thank you very much for your very detailed explaination. This is very useful for me if I face similar issue in the future ;-).

Once again thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
Minh

Posted : 03/06/2019 10:47 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us