Notifications
Clear all

Library import of Waveforms issue

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Mark
Topic starter

I have been converting some Motif XS programs and had no problems importing the performance and associated waveforms/samples and bringing them over to my User File area to add to my overall User Programs.. I recently had some files that when I imported the Library file to my User File programs, the Performance shows up but the associated Waveforms did not move to the User area. The Library File does show the associated Waveforms. I have sufficient memory available. The Motif XS files are voice files.

I even tried loading these Voice files into an empty User file and the waveforms do show up in the User Waveform list. I then saved the file as both a User File and a Library file. I then loaded this new Library file and the waveforms show in the Library file. But when I import this updated Library file to my loaded User File/programs, the waveforms still do not import.

Not sure why this is happening.

Posted : 05/06/2021 1:13 pm
Bad Mister

Neither are we, but our excuse is we don’t have enough information on the data you are working with. Sounds like you’re doing everything correctly.

If you are converting Motif XS files to the MODX using the option to convert “Voices”, the MODX should load each XS VOICE as a Single Part MODX Performance... if directed to a Library, it should install the Waveforms of that file to the Library ROM. Your issue is in using LIBRARY IMPORT to convert those program containing custom Waveforms from the Library location to the internal User Waveform Bank location. What should happen is each AWM2 Element that pointed to the Library Waveform List, should now point to a copy of the Library Waveform now in the User Bank. (Meaning each Element that was accessing a Library Waveform, now accesses a User Waveform).

The act of Importing should re-point each Element to an internal copy of the Library data... now located in the User area

First thing to check is whether or not there is room to add the current selections to your User area. Data currently in your User Waveform area will be listed for you to review: [UTILITY] > “Contents” > “Data Utility” > Waveform Folder

If you can, give us some idea of the size of the data you are copying from the Library area to the USER area, and how much data is already in your User area... that might help.
Also have the Library Waveforms been copied? If they have they should now join the others in the User Waveform Folder.
— trying to determine if they have been copied, but not referenced, or if they were not copied at all.

Things to be aware of:
When using “Library Import”, be sure to go through all listed candidates, marking all the ones you wish to Import to the User Bank... these all must be done in one operation to ensure no duplicates are created. By doing this in one operation, the system is able to sort out when multiple programs use the same Waveforms. If you import them piece-meal, you will be potentially converting data unnecessarily.

If you are converting Motif XS Performances, the Library Import will not repoint the Elements to the User Bank copy.
This is what, I’m understanding you are talking about...in the “Imported” data, the AWM2 Element does not re-point the data to a *User* Bank Waveform location... it still points to the installed Library location. (You do say, however, you are loading XS Voices).

Make sure when loading the Motif XS .X0V or .X0A File you set the option to “Voice”, not “Performance”.

Let us know... we will revisit this

Posted : 14/06/2021 3:55 pm
 Mark
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply Bad Mister!

Here is some more detail on what I am doing so you have some better context for this situation.

I have a Motif XS and I have successfully converted a number of custom Voices that contained new waveforms/samples over to the MODX. All is well on this process, other than a few that were, most likely, old technology that would not convert. I either scrapped those or utilized the MODX ROM samples to replicate them.

I also own some Kurzweil equipment (K2000 and PC3K) that I thought would be nice to port over to the MODX since they have a relatively small footprint for sample size. I started with the K2000 which are in .KRZ file format and successfully utilized some conversion utilities to convert these .KRZ files to a Motif XS format. I was able to load these Motif XOV files into the MODX as a Library File and then do the Library Import into my Master User File to combine these with my overall User File programs. The Library Import did move the waveform/sample into the User area and the AWM2 Element pointed correctly to this waveform/sample that resides in the User area. I did have to do some tweaking on the envelopes, add effects and some EQ adjustments to get them to sound right. I found that a number of these .KRZ files had a single waveform with velocity switching in the samples. With these, I created 2 elements on the MODX and utilized the velocity ranges for a low and a high velocity that worked out well. I have to admit that with all the options in the MODX and the tweaking I did in the MODX, these converted Kurzweil files/samples sound better on the MODX than the original Kurzweil hardware. I was able to get a much fuller/richer sound to these. So all is well on these .KRZ converted files.

I next moved to try to convert Kurzweil .P3K files. I ran these though a conversion utility (a different one than the .KRZ utility) and created a Motif XS XOV format like the above for the Kurzweil .KRZ files. Here is where my issue is. When I load any of these new converted .P3K to Motif XS files as a Library file, the waveforms/samples show up in the Library and are attached to the AWM2 element correctly in this Library File. So this tells me the converted .P3K waveform/sample is acceptable to the MODX. When I then do the Library Import to my Master User file. the MODX Performance shows up but the AWM2 Element still points to the waveform/sample that resides in the Library File and the waveform/sample does not copy over to the User File area. As an FYI, my Master User File is only about 350 mb so there is plenty of room to load new samples as I am trying this process without any other files loaded to the MODX.

I next tried to load these converted .P3K to Motif XS XOV files directly into an empty User File to see what would result. The MODX performance shows up and the AWM2 element points to the User area where the waveform/sample does reside. So for here, the waveform/sample does move to the User File area. I then saved this file off as both a User File and a Library File. Now when I load this new MODX Library file into a Library and then do a Library Import into an empty User area, the same result happens as above. The MODX Performance show up but the AWM2 element still points to the Library waveform/sample and the waveform/sample did not copy over to the User area. So there is definitely something odd happening with these converted .P3K waveforms/samples and the Library import process.

The difference in the .KRZ and .P3K conversion files is that I am using a different conversion utility so really not sure if that is why the end results are different or why the converted .P3K waveforms/samples are not copying to the User area with the Library import process.

Hopefully this provides more details for you and would be interested in any additional feedback or if I am missing something somewhere. I would be more than happy to provide a copy of one of these converted .P3K files to you if you are interested to test for yourself.

Thanks,
Mark

Posted : 16/06/2021 12:53 pm
Bad Mister

I next moved to try to convert Kurzweil .P3K files. I ran these though a conversion utility (a different one than the .KRZ utility) and created a Motif XS XOV format like the above for the Kurzweil .KRZ files. Here is where my issue is. When I load any of these new converted .P3K to Motif XS files as a Library file, the waveforms/samples show up in the Library and are attached to the AWM2 element correctly in this Library File. So this tells me the converted .P3K waveform/sample is acceptable to the MODX. When I then do the Library Import to my Master User file. the MODX Performance shows up but the AWM2 Element still points to the waveform/sample that resides in the Library File and the waveform/sample does not copy over to the User File area. As an FYI, my Master User File is only about 350 mb so there is plenty of room to load new samples as I am trying this process without any other files loaded to the MODX.

What is troubling here is you cannot really “Library Import to a Master User file”.

You “Library Import” to the internal User Bank. Now it could just be how you are writing this... but when you execute a “Library Import”, the data is moved (not to a file but) to the internal User Bank locations... to SAVE it to a File requires a separate operation and a USB stick.

“Library Import” allows the selected data to join the data currently in the User Bank, by occupying the lowest numbered empty locations in the User Bank.

This only becomes a File after you then SAVE the User Bank to a USB stick. You can SAVE it as a User File or as a new Library File.

The difference in the .KRZ and .P3K conversion files is that I am using a different conversion utility so really not sure if that is why the end results are different or why the converted .P3K waveforms/samples are not copying to the User area with the Library import process.

Also, once you convert your Kurzweil data to a Motif XS (.X0V) stop referring to it in Kurzweil file format. It is now Motif XS data... .X0V
The MONTAGE/MODX cannot load Kurzweil data. It is able to load data that can be loaded to the Motif XS.

When you converted this .P3K (?) data to a Motif XS File .X0V, were you able to load this file to your Motif XS?
I ask because, you’ll want to create the .X0V (Motif XS) File using the Motif XS, not the conversion utility (?)
Test the file by first loading it to a Motif XS.

If the XS successfully loads the conversion utility’s data, re-SAVE the data using the Motif XS
This will increase the possibility of the MODX being able to read and translate the data.

I’m thinking perhaps the unnamed ‘conversion utility’ has left out some bit of key information.
I really don’t think the origin of the data being Kurzweil has anything to do with this issue, but the .X0V file created by the conversion utility maybe the culprit.

I would focus attention on the converted data — make sure the Motif XS can successfully load it. If yes, create a new .X0V using the Motif XS itself.

Thoughts: On Alternatives
If this converted file does load into your MODX as a USER FILE (in other words, instead of installing it and then Importing to User, load it directly to User). This will accomplish the goal; the drawback is that doing so will OVERWRITE all data in the User Bank currently.

I imagine you are attempting to add this new data to existing data (when you say “Master User File” )... if that is the case, and all your previous conversions are behaving.... then go ahead and OVERWRITE the internal USER and use Library Import on the data that does behave.

Once all data is successfully loaded to your MODX - make MODX format files of your data. The MODX reads its own format much faster than it can files it needs translate as it loads.

Let us know.

Posted : 16/06/2021 4:27 pm
 Mark
Topic starter

Actually my next course of action was to take the Kurzweil P3K files I converted and load them into my Motif XS. So we are on the same page here! I had done my early conversions on the Motif XS but then moved directly to loading files to the MODX in order to better learn the MODX architecture.

So I ran a test this morning with a handful of these files and loaded them into the Motif XS. All loaded fine and then I saved off a XOV file. I then loaded this XOV file directly to the MODX User area and the performances and also the waveforms/samples did show in the User area. As an extra step I did do an Initialization of the User area just as an extra measure before loading this file. Next, I loaded this file to a Library and then did a Library Import to an empty User area. The Library import worked fine and the performances and waveforms/samples did copy over to the User area (this process did work previously).

The real test was then to load back my Master User File which has all my custom programs. After loading this custom User file, I then did a Library import of the Motif XOV file from the P3K conversions. This is the step where I had issues previously. The Library Import worked and the performances and waveforms/samples successfully copied over to my custom User area.

So it appears that my conversion utility for the Kurzweil P3K files has some issues which won't allow for a successful Library Import directly on the MODX. I will need to take the extra step and load all these P3K converted files into the Motif XS and prep them before loading to the MODX.

Appreciate your help and sanity check on this!

Mark

Posted : 17/06/2021 12:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us