Clear all

Live: Change Scene beat quantization

40 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Jason
Illustrious Member

There's not a direct way to assign CCs to keys but you have a few options:

1) Use a computer or tablet as an intermediate device to translate piano key note-on events to CC messages. Bome comes to mind - but there are other options such as Ctrlr or similar. I think Camelot Pro may be able to do this - I can test Camelot Pro since I have it.

2) Use dedicated hardware such as MIDI Solutions' Event Processor. This is similar to using a PC + Software without the need to carry a PC.

3) Use an arpeggio that sends CC. In order to have different CCs on each key I would have a different ARP on several Parts where each arp applies to a different scene number and then the Part's arpeggio note range is a single (different) key for each Part. Creating such an arpeggio may not be easy or even feasible out of the box. Arpeggios support CC and there are no arpeggios in the presets that change scene numbers. So this one is a maybe (maybe not ... possible/practical) depending on what you can build without the more advanced tools available only to the official content providers.

It's easier and the usual route for those determined to do this to apply some form of note-on-to-CC translator and solve the problem this way. I say "determined" because you may try achieving your end goal in a different way that has less obstacles.

Posted : 10/06/2022 4:16 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

As a quick follow-up, the arpeggio conversion does not consider Scene Change CCs to be a valid control message in Arps. In contrast, I can record [ASSIGN 1] (or 2) button presses to a User arpeggio. That route is out.

Posted : 10/06/2022 6:32 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks all. I assembly information about it.
Something about foot pedal. But I have only sustain model now.

[quotePost id=117280]ab have you experimented with the MODX Pattern Sequencer? [/quotePost]
Still not.
[quotePost id=117280]
If not, let me know, and I'll give you a brief introduction. And, as an aside that might help, what's your native language?
[/quotePost]
Thanks! I'm speaking in Russian.
No problem with English, but this a technical questions.
Who knows what in mind hidden)

Playing the keyboard is really natural. Even if it's eight keys.
Stride piano left hand can makes playing more things. πŸ™‚

πŸ™‚

The scene buttons are a bit far away in another plane.

Posted : 10/06/2022 12:55 pm
Member Admin

argh. A vodka aficionado!

As am I...

...well, all things alcohol, actually. Except white wines. The less said about them, the better.

The Scenes you change with button presses - that can be automated by the Pattern Sequencer. In fact, the Pattern Sequencer can be thought of as a "Scene Sequencer". It's very good at changing Scenes, for us!

You can even make empty Patterns and use them to change Scenes at set bar distances from one another, automatically, so you can play as you please. This way that amazing left hand of yours can focus on musicality, never needing to trouble the Scene Buttons.

But the Pattern Sequencer can also store patterns of our notes, pre-recorded arp performances and drums, too. Anything, in fact. It's the backing track maker of the band.

Each Scene stores unique patterns for each part... you record as many as you need.

THERE IS NO NOTE EDITING!

So if you make mistakes when recording you have to start over.

This is why I record arpeggios playing, because then I make less mistakes. But I am merely an arpist. You can play, so you can record good patterns into each part.

Then you can sequence these patterns to jump between each other as you want, when you want. This is the pattern sequencing of the Pattern Sequencing, changing Scenes to change which Patterns it plays back.

And this is why I wish it was called a Scene Switcher or Scene Sequencer. Nice and simple, just like what this thing is. It's a very simple backing track maker and Scene Switcher.

Is this sounding useful?

Can you imagine yourself using this Pattern Sequencer as a Scene Switcher? If so, let me know, and I'll try to go through doing this in the easiest way.

Posted : 10/06/2022 1:30 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I'll try but not so fast. It is necessary to read the documentation and try. I'm bad at MODX πŸ™‚
Thank you for help! If I make some steps I will report here.
But Scene It seem like song. Symply to record midi song and play along. You are right more attention to melody and right hand.
I like Genos/SX700 autoaccompaniment - live style playing left hand. πŸ™
Play along song is compromise. Although there is no choice.

By the way, I still don't know how to record a song in modx. But that's too much information to just ask. You have to check yourself.
Perhaps this is the recording of patterns in one whole?

Drinking is harmful. I stoped. πŸ™‚

Posted : 10/06/2022 4:24 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

If I had such hands, I would easily switch scenes. πŸ˜€
I always envy pianists. They don't even need MODX.
However, returning to what was said key switches (MIDI CC) in piano line plane useful for player.

I've tried strid technique and started and quit many times and now I'm trying. But it's great art. Music school since childhood required.

Wow! at time 7:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR5BzuCv7qg
I like this melody! Thanks!

Posted : 10/06/2022 5:43 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=117294]argh. A vodka aficionado!

As am I...

[/quotePost]

There is full howto about pattern sequenser
https://youtu.be/w1FELos2rsA
with annoying long comments.
Now I know all about this.

Harp is magic but heavy and there are a lot of strings!

πŸ™‚

Posted : 11/06/2022 1:38 am
Member Admin

[quotePost id=117300][quotePost id=117294]argh. A vodka aficionado!

As am I...

[/quotePost]

There is full howto about pattern sequenser
https://youtu.be/w1FELos2rsA
with annoying long comments.
Now I know all about this.

:)[/quotePost]

What I'm suggesting is kind of a hack, using the Pattern Sequencer to automagically change Scenes, for you, when you want them.

The Pattern Sequencer is particularly odd in its operation. It's not what most folks expect, so they waffle on. Woody (an American youtube piano guy) couldn't even get it to work at all how he thought it might, and he's not alone in this.

So those that do figure it out feel the need to explain it from their perspective, whatever that is, because Yamaha's both made it oddly, named it strangely and failed to articulate well what it does and how to get the best out of it. In other places I suggest it's a bit of checkpoint design, made to say they have a sequencer so as to compete better with the Fantom. I don't think it's an inspired and considered feature.

But there are uses to it!

Like making forced changes to Scenes, so you can step through your different Arpeggios, automagically.

Do everything as you were, imagining you are super capable of playing your arps and operating the Scene buttons. Then when it becomes obvious where you want the Scene changes, you can use the Pattern Sequencer to make those Scene changes EXACTLY when you want them, automatically, by setting/creating the Sequence of the Patterns. This seems to work even if your Patterns are actually empty and the system only being used to step through Scenes.

Does this make sense?

Posted : 11/06/2022 3:14 am
Member Admin

[quotePost id=117304]

Does this make sense?

Now is your chance to provide that actual, specific, example you've been wanting to provide for so long.

Just number each step and we will reproduce what you do.

Thanks for the offer![/quotePost]

You have a vivid imagination, for a programmer!

Posted : 11/06/2022 3:20 am
Member Admin

Bill, I googled for you. Here's a snippet video of exactly how to create Scene changes automagically with the Pattern(Scene) Sequencer.

https://youtu.be/6d5i53Emfa0

Steps 1, 2, 3 etc you'll have to abstract off to a count within your own head, Bill. You can probably imagine the video creator wanted to do text overlays of the steps, Bill, but perhaps didn't have the time to deal with a titling system.

Ok, Bill?

Or you could watch the Russian vid linked by ab, that also takes time to show AND explain this process.

Posted : 11/06/2022 3:39 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Β«Closer to the bodyΒ» - as Maupassant said (c)

Where is your hack you intrigued? πŸ™‚

Posted : 11/06/2022 10:55 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

"more to the point" vs "closer to the body" (pun)
from 12 Chairs

Posted : 11/06/2022 3:14 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=117312]"more to the point" vs "closer to the body" (pun)
from 12 Chairs[/quotePost]
That (and its sequel) is one of my favorite novels, but I have no idea of what are you referring to πŸ™‚

Posted : 11/06/2022 4:49 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=117313]but I have no idea of what are you referring to πŸ™‚ [/quotePost]

[quotePost id=117304]Now is your chance to provide that actual, specific, example you've been wanting to provide for so long. [/quotePost]

Andrew wanted to say something, but doesn't say it yet πŸ™‚

Posted : 11/06/2022 8:28 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

There is only one way to record an arpeggio into a pattern in real time.
Oh no, why can't it just be extended by the counter!?
Record, record, record. Real time!

Posted : 11/06/2022 9:18 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us