Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Live: Change Scene beat quantization

40 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin

[quotePost id=117317]There is only one way to record an arpeggio into a pattern in real time.
Oh no, why can't it just be extended by the counter!?
Record, record, record. Real time![/quotePost]

It gets worse before it gets better.

Arpeggios are recorded as ALL the note events of the arpeggio, not as the chords you play driving the arpeggios.

So you cannot later change the Arpeggio you are using. This is an astonishing missed opportunity to make it vastly easier to empower uses of the 10,000+ onboard arpeggios. Staggering, really.

This also means that you'll use up a lot of note and controller event storage when recording arpeggios with the Pattern Sequencer, and it doesn't have a lot of memory. So you'll get to "Memory Full" faster than you'd like. At this point, you discover how much unfun it is to unload Patterns to a computer, and how much extra unfun it is if you ever want to reload them. I could write a blog post on how crap this experience is, and the caveats and gotchas that await the unwary.

However... what I'm suggesting, as a hack, doesn't involve any recording, at all. Instead, it is the use of the Pattern Sequencer as a means to automate Scene changing, for you, so you can focus on playing, and the Scenes change automatically, thanks to the Chain feature of the Pattern Sequencer.

Some caveats, first, so you know that there are some limitations to this approach...

Chained Sequences of Patterns changing your Scenes DO NOT LOOP around. They play to the end, end of story.

Despite the Pattern having changed the Scene for you, there won't be an immediate change to the new Scene's Arpeggio settings unless you do this:

Part > Arpeggio > Common > Change Timing -> set to Real-time (not Measure).

There does not need to be ANYTHING in your Pattern to do this trick/hack.

Goto Jobs/Edit

Bottom Left is Chain. Tap it and agree to the save of your Pattern (one of the most annoying and redundant popups in the entire OS, nonsensical, in fact)

Now you can set which Scene is next, and when it will play (by bar count), and you can add quite a few here.

Once you're done, you can hit Play twice, and see your Scene Buttons light up in order as the changes occur, automagically, for you.

If you want looping, you'll have to push Rewind and Play if the last Scene has finished playing. Or you can make the last Scene 256 bars long in the Play/Rec menu, so that it's not going to stop (you'll have to exit the Chain mode to do this), and then you'll only likely ever need to hit Rewind to get it to loop over your Scene order.

Posted : 12/06/2022 5:30 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

What should I do?

However... what I'm suggesting, as a hack, doesn't involve any recording, at all.

Do nothing to record? What I need to do?

OK!

What should I do?

Chain is ON
001 1
005 2
009 1
013 2

Convert to Song

No data. Error

Do nothing to record? Or What?

However... what I'm suggesting, as a hack, doesn't involve any recording, at all.

Maybe I need to touch scenes and record it in realtime?
Yes I did it

Posted : 12/06/2022 10:51 am
Member Admin

[quotePost id=117319]What should I do?

Do nothing to record? What I need to do?

OK!

What should I do?

Chain is ON
001 1
005 2
009 1
013 2

[/quotePost]

That's all!

...now... you're done, you can hit Play twice (maybe three times), and see your Scene Buttons light up in order as the changes occur, automagically, for you.

Although you might need rewind and exit and Play.... but usually I just spam Play button to get back up and into Play Mode...

But, as I say, from Chain editing you can hit Play multiple times and it lifts you up a menu/screen level. And again, up one more... but this time it's not visual. Hit Play again, and Play starts.

This is poor UI/UX. Play button does not always Play, but does operate as an 'esc' or "back up one level" when it does not Play.

-------- Play Button = the Hard Button under the Super Knob with Play symbol (forward triangle) on it.

Posted : 12/06/2022 5:56 pm
Member Admin

And keep an eye on this guy's Youtube channel... I suspect he's not far from releasing a vid with the best insights into the Pattern Sequencer yet made, and that he uses it in a similar way to my daughter, despite a different style of music:

https://youtu.be/vkp_Z4aCwYg

Posted : 12/06/2022 6:20 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I understand! Meaning is that no need to save pattern. Just enough to make chain of measures and play it. Very intricately! πŸ™‚

(one of the most annoying and redundant popups in the entire OS, nonsensical, in fact)

πŸ˜€

I often notice how inconvenient all the menu transitions are made.
I understand why it was made idiot-proof.
But this is very slow to work.
e.g. Why I can't edit item direct from Category Search?
Why I see two way Category Search or Edit when I press part header?
I often click in the wrong place.

Posted : 12/06/2022 7:31 pm
Member Admin

[quotePost id=117323]I understand! Meaning is that no need to save pattern. Just enough to make chain of measures and play it. Very intricately! πŸ™‚

(one of the most annoying and redundant popups in the entire OS, nonsensical, in fact)

πŸ˜€

I often notice how inconvenient all the menu transitions are made.
I understand why it was made idiot-proof.
But this is very slow to work.
e.g. Why I can't edit item direct from Category Search?
I often click in the wrong place.[/quotePost]

Because there was a 'design by committee of programmers', seemingly.

And programmers tend to favour general purpose ease over hierarchical structuring and favouring of the commons.

That'd be my guess. That and not having bothered to empower a product manager considerate of users to overrule and oversee.

Posted : 13/06/2022 5:09 am
Member Admin

[quotePost id=117324]

Actually you see FOUR options not two. They are listed on the left

1. Search to find a replacement for the selected part
2. Edit the selected part
3. Copy the selected part to another part
4. See the properties of the selected part: Category, Sub Category, Bank, Bank Select, (MSB, LSB), Program Change No.

Try each of those and see what happens.
[/quotePost]

Think he's commenting on how he can't edit a part whilst Pattern Sequencer is running, yet they show/reveal the Left popover normally used for edit + category etc when there's only one option... or something like that.

The inability to edit a Part during Pattern Play is ANNOYING!

Posted : 13/06/2022 8:26 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

By the way, MSB/LSB properties are only available on the first bus.
How often I had to look at the parameters of a part in a multitrack.
I bit my elbows. Scratch left ear with right hand.
Ucho Ε›ledzia. (Vabank)

Posted : 13/06/2022 10:15 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Andrew, please look here
https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/arps-scenes?start=20#reply-117429

I'm confused again

Posted : 20/06/2022 12:05 am
Member Admin

[quotePost id=117430]Andrew, please look here
https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/arps-scenes?start=20#reply-117429

I'm confused again[/quotePost]

Sorry I can't help more. Little bit confused about what you're confused about. I only think I understand Russian thinking when I've had at least a bottle of vodka and am considering how much of the second to drink.

Posted : 20/06/2022 2:46 am
Page 3 / 3
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us